“Shelley's cottage is perferct for a romantic weekend”

and 1 more site!
The Rising Sun Hotel
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Lynmouth
Reviewed May 23, 2010

We just stayed at the Shelley's cottage which is part of the Rising Sun hotel. We were looking for an idyllic romantic break and we more than found it in this place. Location is wonderful with fantastic views of the village, houbour and drammatic cost line. If you are going there, don't miss the opportunity of having breakfast on the terrace outside the cottage.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank james_lucia
There are newer reviews for The Rising Sun Hotel

Reviewed April 3, 2010

I’ve just arrived back today from the rising sun in Lynmouth with my partner and we both had a lovely enjoyable stay. the room was clean warm and inviting. the staff and the locals are all really friendly. we had our evening dinner in the restaurant which was great and spent the evening in the bar area which was a relaxed enjoyable environment. Unfortunately the weather was not so good and it rained a lot but we have both come back refreshed and happy.
we did pay a little more than usual for a night away but its definitely worth it and my words are that 'you get what you pay for.'
Thankyou and we will be returning again!

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank beanaUk
Reviewed February 23, 2010

This hotel was spotted & booked by my partner from the Good Pub Guide, as part of a Home - Padstow - Wales - Home round trip weekend. On booking my good lady did get confused with the £60 per person price quoted (on the phone) and mistakenly thought it was £60 per room. When questioned on arrival the abrupt response we got was "is it a problem then?" rather than a more polite understanding. As we arrived late on the Saturday night we decided to grin and bear the unexpected cost and went to the room. The room itself was ok, albeit small, but the en suite was completely inadequate, with only a shower (more like cupboard) that was incredibly difficult to get in & out (and I am somewhat vertically challenged) and as it only offered a Mira electric shower it barely got you wet!

Opting for Fish and Chips in the cramped restaurant, I found the fish extremely soggy and the chips suspiciously looking like they originated from the cash 'n carry freezer - on the whole, worse than my local chippie at more than double the price!!
We settled in for a glass of wine in the bar but soon found that the staff were much too busy to engage with paying guests and just laughed & joked with the locals.

On retiring to bed we found the room freezing, as the radiator was turned off and there was a cold breeze through the window. On informing the staff I was just given instructions on how to turn the radiator on without offering to help.

Breakfast did not fare any better as the salmon & scambled egg were completely tasteless and the 'fresh' orange juice tasted awful - with a premium rate of £150 you would have least thought there would be fresh fruit available - but unfortunately not!

Pointing these issues out to the receptionist and mentioning that competitors in the same village were selling rooms at £60 per room, the overall arrogance of the staff and hotel ambience was encapsulated in one phrase "we just do our own thing here!"

This is the first ever time I have written a hotel review and disappointed that I had to write such a negative one, but the Rising Sun in Lynmouth have given me the bench mark for all future reviews.

Compared to Rick Stein's hotel in Padstow (comparable price) the Rising Sun hotel has a very poor specification, arrogant staff, incredulous service, bland food and noisy regulars. All in all, with all the 'coveted' awards, a hotel very much in denial!

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
9  Thank virtualone
Reviewed February 18, 2010

We have just returned from a 3 night stay at the Rising Sun which happened to fall over Valentines Day. The Hotel is quaint and cosy and has views which simply cannot be bettered. The bar is welcoming, the rooms were lovely and the staff friendly and efficient. The food was excellent, lacking only a fillet steak on the menu!! The red rose on Valentines and champagne and oysters made up for that though. A most enjoyable stay, we will definitely be back.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Roomwithaview21
Reviewed February 15, 2010

I travel a lot with business and usually stay in one of the chains but with the closest being about an hour away I had one night at this hotel but I have to say that the room and en-suite were very clean and tidy, freeview television on a modern LCD television with the usual channels. The food in the restaurant was excellent and the staff were friendly. The view over the harbour was very nice even with it being winter. The only problem is lack of mobile signal in the area, not even GPRS signal so it would be good if wifi could be available for the business traveller to collect emails and do on-line work in the evenings.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed January 27, 2010

We took advantage of the Winter special offer to stay again that this lovely hotel/pub by the sea. We stay in this area to make the most of the walking opportunities. The generous breakfasts really set us up for each day's walk. We also enjoyed a meal in the bar on the Saturday evening.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 21, 2009

great hotel. good value. fantastic food. staff very friendly. I was down there for work and spent three nights there. The only thing that would have made my life easier as a business traveller was access to wi-fi to get my e mails but I ended up relaxing instead! Will certainly stay there again.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lynmouth
The Bath Hotel
#7 of 9 in Lynton
The Luttrell Arms
The Luttrell Arms
#2 of 3 in Dunster

Been to The Rising Sun Hotel? Share your experiences!