“Best of little choice in off season”

The Rising Sun Hotel
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Lynmouth
birmingham
“Best of little choice in off season”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 19, 2014

We took a table in the evening unbooked in May on a Tuesday.The restaurant was busy at 7.30 and we had the last table although there were tables for food available in the bar. Welcoming chatty young staff, good small menu specialising in fish, quite pricey for the area.I had excellent chicken livers on toast spoiled by being served on a cold plate so making the whole dish Luke warm. My main was piping hot cod and chips, not exactly rocket science but very fresh and tasty.Unfortunately, I had an unidentified object in my mushy peas which I was told was a large mushy pea.I don't think so! No apology, just a verbal shrug really.My husband had excellent mussels but fared less well with his lemon sole.It was barely cooked and again luke warm because it was served on a cold plate.Not good for £17.This meal could have been very good with just a little attention to detail.It was not bad enough to make a fuss but overall disappointing for £60 for 2 courses, one glass of wine and a beer.

Room Tip: Did not stay, just ate there, toilets were very up market which is always a good sign in a pub.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank sanwat

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (116)
Minehead
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 18, 2014

I have eaten here several times over the past six months and the food seems to get better and better! It's a really nice old pub overlooking the sea at Lynmouth and it has bedrooms I haven't stayed there. The seafood is spectacular. Yesterday I ate there with my husband and two friends. There is a good menu and I can highly recommend the seafood. My husband and I both had the crab slate - £10.95 which was absolutely delicious. Our friends both had the mussels, which are cooked in three different ways. You order which one you want off the menu. The servings were very generous and we're very well received. I had the praline ice cream for pudding which was served with macerated prunes and white chocolate and was one of the best puddings I have ever tasted. The Exmoor Gold was wonderful too. Service is friendly and efficientand we will be back soon.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Colchester, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 7, 2014

Lovely stay in a beautiful hotel, staff were very helpful and friendly. Room was cosy and charming with views over the harbour .Food in restaurant was excellent, Hotel is ideally situated for nice long walks.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Marlene W
Plymouth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2014

The Rising Sun is such a friendly hotel, conveniently placed right next to the harbour, lots of walks, all on the flat.

This hotel is brilliant. The food is outstanding and such a variety of choices to chose from. Well done Clare, Tony and team. We shall return. Shelleys Cottage has incredible views of the beach and the valley. Your own little cottage, all its needs are the 7 dwarfs!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Chrissy B
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2014

Lovely hotel with friendly staff and cosy rooms overlooking the harbour. The restaurant was impressive with local fish the best idea. I really enjoyed the place and would definitely stay again next time I'm in the area. Just around the corner from the water funicular to lynton.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Martin R
Barry, Wales, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 11, 2014

We booked 3 nights in Shelley's Cottage for the first part of our honeymoon. This was the most idyllic and romantic setting we could of hope for. The cottage was cosy and perfect for our first night as a married couple. The staff were very accommodating and the food in the restaurant was fantastic. We could not fault the hotel in any way and we plan to make an annual trip here to celebrate our anniversary.

One word of warning watch where you park the car, as at very high tides the road tends to flood, but again the staff gave us good directions for parking.

A big thank you to the staff of the Rising Sun Hotel for making our stay so special.

Darrell + Fiona

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Darrell P
Shepton Mallet, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2014

Coincidence that it was Valentine's night when we arrived. Restaurant was tastefully decorated, staff perfect. Bathroom was so clean and shiny we needed dark glasses! Food rivalled best London restaurants. My fish was perfectly cooked.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank gillian b
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lynmouth
The Bath Hotel
#4 of 9 in Lynton
East Lyn House
East Lyn House
#2 of 15 in Lynmouth

Been to The Rising Sun Hotel? Share your experiences!