“Charming with great food” 4 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
The Rising Sun Hotel
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Lynmouth
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“Charming with great food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2012

We went for a week of walking in Exmoor and stayed here. We tried to book a twin room for the week but because of availability were told we (my friend and I - not partners) would have to share a double bed on day 2.

However, the friendly manageress upgraded us to a double room each for the same price from day 2 onwards after rooms became available which was extremely generous.

My room was spacious and fitted out to a very high standard, my friend's room was over the pub and a little bit noisy before last orders at 11pm. Beds were very comfortable.

The food is exceptional, the full English breakfast was the best I have had and the poached egg was done to a turn all served with delicious coffee and hunks of granary bread. They also serve a tray of 10 oysters for £10 which is reasonable and make home made chips....believe me, that is a rarity these days. The quality of the food explains why the Rising Sun restaurant was mobbed every night whilst the other places in the village stood empty.

I have read other reviews on here complaining that the food should be traditional English Fayre but in my opinion if you want Steak and Kidney pudding every night you can go to a nearby pub such as the Blue Ball Inn, what the Rising Sun serve is unique in that part of England.

Regarding foreign staffing all I can say is that they all spoke perfectly understandable English - the young French waiter in the mornings was charming.

We noticed that some of the rooms had been decorated very tastefully and to a modern standard whilst others looked a bit dowdy and I think if the management upgraded all of their remaining rooms to the standard of the ones we stayed in, then it would make a vast improvement.

A final point for the management is that they really of need to improve their wifi internet access, a lot of us have to eke out short breaks while keeping an eye on work life these days and the slowness and non availability of the internet in some parts of the building was a bit of an issue for us.

Room Tip: Room 3 is quiet and spacious with good views of the sea.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (115)
Bristol, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 16, 2012

We have just spent a great 3 nights at the Rising Sun. This Hotel is quite unique. If you are after huge rooms etc this place is not for you,but if you love a cosy historic and atmospheric place this is for you. Room 11 had a great view over the harbour to the dramatic cliffs.
The room was clean and comfortable the bathroom had a shower only but this functioned extreamly well with plenty of hot water.
We enjoyed the food in the resturant and breakfast was also good. The staff were friendly and helpful.
The beauty of this place is when Lynmouth quietens down in the evening and you are left with a great little pub,great views and seaside tranquility.
Highly reccomended but not if you want a huge suite and corperate hotel!

Room Tip: Number 11 had a great view,but ask for a sea view.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank UKTonyz
Bath, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 12, 2012

Following a very disappointing stay elsewhere the previous night, The Rising Sun was always going to be an improvement. However, it really did provide just what we were after. Good, clean rooms, well appointed and quiet. We all slept well. Staff are very good, friendly and accomodating. They are not at all geared up for children but do make that quite clear. We got round that obstacle without to much trouble. Food is excellent, breakfast just as it should be. Lovely location, all in all a lovely place for a short break.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Birmingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 7, 2012

Great little hotel, nice breakfast and great pub downstairs for the evenings

Room Tip: Sea view room
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Maldives
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 1, 2012

The Good: The room we stayed in had just been refurbished and was lovely. We had a gorgeous view, and a door just outside our room taking us outside, which was handy, we ate in the restaurant on our secnd night (we stayed for 2) and the meal was really delightful, in a lovely setting and although expensive, I didnt think it was over the top for a restaurant quality meal and service and the wine list was good. I loved the breakfast, my husband less so because he ordered scrambled egg and it wasnt very good,

The Bad: The bathroom door lock and flush on the toilet need fixing, we had lunch on the first day and both of us left most if it because the fish wasnt properly cooked. Great shame, and overpriced for a bar meal.

The Ugly: Boxes of stuff in the residents lounge which spoilt it, and finding cling film in my breakfast.

Room Tip: Ask for one of the re-burbished rooms.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank SaraLB70
Newbury, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 29, 2012

I booked a 2 night stay at the Rising sun over the 13th and 14th Feb with my Fiance and our 6 month old baby girl. I had booked a table for Valentines night too. When I booked, I was in Lynmouth and made the booking in person. I spoke with Michelle on the Hotel reception and made the arrangements for our stay. She did tell me that a baby would not be allowed into the resturant after 6 or 7 pm, I can't remember exactly now. What she did do, which was far better and more private than sitting in the resturant was to allow us to have our valentines meal with our baby while we all sat in the wood panelled snug that was situated between the resturant and pub. With a window giving us a nice view of the harbour. It was very well decorated for valentines for us. So I proposed in the Rising Sun and she said "YES".
The meal was fantastic, true top class resturant food. Definately worth visiting.
We stayed in room 2, which was a very nice room with ensuite bath and shower. A nice big room.
The Rising Sun has a lot of olde world charm and character with its narrow corridors and their slopping floors. Walls covered with wood paneling. A very nice old place to stay.
The staff are very friendly and will go the extra mile to help out.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Newbury, ENGLAND
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 28, 2012

My Partner and I absolutely love this hotel.
We have stayed here many times over the years in different rooms but recently stayed in room 5 (newly refurbed) which is a large double with Sea view and will say you won't be dissappointed with it.

The breakfasts are delicious...I think we agreed that the poached egg on toast was the winner! We have also eaten in the restuarant a couple of times as the food is very tasty. - the evening meals are pricey if you compare to other pubs nearby but belive me it's worth paying the extra as I experienced the worst spag bol ever at the Village Inn round the corner (although the pub is nice & friendly).

The views from the hotel and the nearby coastal walks are amazing all contribute to making Lynmouth one of my favourite places in the world.

Tip: Watch out as the roads are narrow and windy in places and the gradients are steep - quite a few cars seen to burn out their brakes!

Room Tip: Room 5 has just ben refurbed and is very spacious with T.V etc.
Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lynmouth
The Bath Hotel
#4 of 9 in Lynton
East Lyn House Hotel
East Lyn House Hotel
#2 of 15 in Lynmouth

Been to The Rising Sun Hotel? Share your experiences!