“Lovely walk but "museum" not so great.”
Review of Glen Lyn Gorge

Glen Lyn Gorge
Ranked #6 of 7 things to do in Lynmouth
Bridgwater, England, United Kingdom
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Lovely walk but "museum" not so great.”
Reviewed April 25, 2013

We had some nice weather so we decided to take a walk up the gorge. The man that gave us our tickets wasn't very informative, all he said was go in the museum then up through the gorge, not very helpful. The museum needed a lot of TLC, very old, not many activities were actually working and I think the fish in the water was dead! The activties outside didn't all work either but the water jets were fun. The walk up through the gorge was lovely, a good walk but worth it as it was very pretty and we got some good photos. I think they should lower the prices during low season though as they obviously haven't really bothered to take care of the museum and refresh it and make sure everything works. Maybe they might make it better in the summer season.

Visited April 2013
1 Thank Carls305

Appledore, United Kingdom
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 43 helpful votes
“mmm they try but i liked it anyway”
Reviewed April 12, 2013

I want to say nice things about this gorge. it is a little tired and needs TLC. you can sence that the workers there are trying to make progress and keep on top of it, it is a large wooded area and hard to maintain I would imagen. the museum is cute and historic. I still enjoyed my day out there as I had waited for years to go in there but never have done as when younger mum and dad couldn't afford all 5 of us to go in but now i'm an adult, I treated myself. the sun was out and we enjoyed the walk round. it has huge potential and I feel they could add activities to encourage children to get involved. even put some lights in to the trees to make it more magical. I understand its about the history and which adults will appreciate but I am just thinking to increase revenue really as I would hate to see it struggle and close.
the staff were helpful and we took some amazing photos. also like everything, it is what you make of it. good luck to this gorge and long may it succeed

Visited September 2012
UK
42 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 111 helpful votes
“Fun, informative but needs a wash and brush up”
Reviewed April 7, 2013

£9.00 for one adult, one senior and dog went free which for once I am a bit ambivalent about as to value for money for adults. Other reviewers have rightly pointed out that Watersmeet is very close and free, however Glen Lyn Gorge represents a much more accessible gorge for those with mobility/fitness issues although definitely not wheel friendly in any way.

The gorge is lovely, but sadly somewhat marred by rubbish brought downstream - clearly not the attraction's fault. As two adults, we had a go at the water cannons, of course, but the equipment is rusty and hard worn. Not much there for teenagers at all, but smaller kids will enjoy it. The waterwheel is fun to get going... but all rather tired. The day we visited there was one person on duty and I can imagine it's a tough thing to maintain everything.

The walk is enjoyable but undergoing needed elements of refurbishment.

The museum is interesting but tired and dusty with some of the home made machines no longer working. Great selection of 'green' books for sale. These covered issues from climate change to allotments! We, as other viewers have, found the information on the Lynmouth Flood to be very informative and indeed moving.

Visited April 2013
London
64 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 236 helpful votes
“Beautiful Woodland Walk”
Reviewed January 26, 2013

We went to have a look at this place when we had a couple of hours in Lynmouth while we we waiting for a lift and we very pleased that we did.

The little museum at the entrance is full of all manner of curiosities crammed in together. Some are banal, some are interesting and some are fascinating. It's a case of pick and chose.

The walk up the path by the stream is lovely. It was beautiful and verdant with attractive ferns, liverworts and dainty little woodland flowers. Every now and then there were charming views of the bubbling stream and we came across one really lovely pool.

There were lots of 'manufactured attractions' including logs hammered full of coins and rustic seats. It was quaint.

What was great fun was playing with powerful water jets and squirting water across the ravine.

The staff we met were really nice. One extremely pleasant elderly gentleman showed us how just a small trickle of water would turn a massive wheel. He also encouraged us to go and see the hydro-electric turbine.

We liked best the tranquil verdant gorge.

We liked least that we, through our own fault, were a little short of time.

Top Tip: really good place for a woodland picnic.

Visited August 2012
2 Thank twotravellersLondon
London, United Kingdom
87 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 190 helpful votes
“Worth a Visit”
Reviewed November 16, 2012

No too much to do but worth a visit. It was fun playing with the water canons and walking upto the moses pool. It was interesting to learn about the history of the Lynmouth flood in 1952. Clicked some nice pictures!

Visited October 2012