“Pleasure of stay marred by owners rudeness”

The Captain's House
Ranked #12 of 15 Lynmouth B&B and Inns
Penzance, United Kingdom
“Pleasure of stay marred by owners rudeness”
Reviewed August 25, 2012

Upon arrival at The Captain's House, Lynmouth I was met by a somewhat surly man who grumbled that he wasn't expecting me. I explained that I had booked online to which he replied 'let me check' and left me standing at the door. He then accepted that I was indeed booked in, but then claimed that he hadn't been expecting a dog. I again informed him that I had included this information when booking and that it was also included in my confirmation email. Not the greatest start but never less the room... though small and tired in it's decor it had a lovely view over the river to the town of Lynmouth. I was surprised that the bathroom was not private to the room and that it had no TV. I asked about a guest lounge and was told 'we have a garden'.

The proprietor offered me breakfast in the garden if it should turn out nice in the morning. It was rainy and dull so I asked to take breakfast in the dining room. I was rudely told that I'd better put the dog in the car then, something which I had clearly indicated I would be doing anyway the previous day. Breakfast was plonked down in less than 60 seconds on the table which had been set so that I was facing into the corner, need I say more?
Others seemed to be greeted with general bonhomie which seemed to underline the rude way in which I was being treated.
Sadly my stay was spoilt by this unnecessary unpleasant behaviour and I would not return or recommend this B&B to others.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank Caddie_12

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Taunton
Reviewed August 24, 2012

Called in to have a lunch time snack after walking down from Watersmeet.
We were met at the door by, I assume the owner, (or was it Basil Fawlty), yes we do snacks do you want a cream tea? no not at 12.30, we will have a toasted sandwich and a pastie. We went to enter and we were told we had to stay in the garden as he had laid-up the tables for dinner (evening meal) but it was a typical summers day, cold and windy. So we were told to go elswhere and he slammed the door in our faces. Now I thought with todays economic climate he would have been more customer friendly, how wrong.
Not a place to be visited and how are they still in business, would I reccomend it?? NO

Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank wildchildTaunton

Travelers are raving about these Lynmouth hotels

glasgow
Reviewed August 5, 2012

had a cream tea here but only with coffee.Coffee was not very nice but the 2 small scones were gorgeous as was the jam and cream Man who served me was not very friendly but i wanted to relax in peace anyway so that was fine

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank purplewoodentops
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 24, 2012

We were 4 adults, one child aged 4 and half and a little dog. We booked this B&B and paid full price upfront.Me and my partner were travelling separately from my sisters family, so we did arrive 2hours later(around 6pm). Surprise! There wasn't any one from the B&B staff to meet us and to show our rooms, except my sisters family!!! She did gave me keys and showed our room, while her husband did show to my partner where to park our car. Then she said to me: " we were told the breakfast is served between 08:10 and 8:50 and it's full English".
OK.We went to our room! Nice view on the river bank! That's all! Shower and the toilet were across the hall with communal towel in the loo!
Next morning I had a chance to meet the host. No "Hello" or "Morning", just short shout " I've made you table outside, it's a nice day, you can enjoy your breakfast". Thanks mate!!! I rely thought at least we would be offered to be seated outside in a nice and polite manner and not to be given an order!! We are adults age between 27 and 35 and we paid upfront!!! We deserve a nice service( or maybe not?)
It was a bit chilly outside, so i've asked if we can sit inside( as there was 3 tables available). NO! as we were 5 people there was not enough room for us(surprise!) and because my sister had a dog and a child. Nice!
The Breakfast:
Over cooked (fried)egg,small tomato ( size of a golf ball) cut in half, two small horribly tasted mushrooms, absolutely inedible some sort of a value sausage( our dog refused to eat it) and NO baked beans!(is this a full English breakfast should be?) all served on a small plate.Between 5 people we had 6 slices of toasts( another 6 arrived after we finished our plates).Not mentioning coffee!
We left soon after breakfast. One last surprise! There wasn't any one to say " Goodbye" or "thanks for staying", so we left keys on the antique table in the hall.
The summary: AVOID!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
11 Thank Irina S
Orr, Minnesota
Reviewed June 2, 2012

There isn't really anything bad I can say about this property. Rather, there are just a few things that got under my skin. While certainly being knowledgeable about sites and restaurants in the area, Clifford gave one the impression that if you didn't do it his way, it would be the wrong way. Full payment was required up front for a 2-night stay. This normally is not the way payment is handled at a B&B. It made me feel as though we were untrustworthy folk and likely to fleece him if we had the opportunity. When the room was tidied during our absence, a few personal items were rearranged. Once again, I had the feeling that I was being shown the correct way to take care of my own things.

We paid a premium for a room with a larger bed, but I suppose I shouldn't complain about that since the en-suite was very spacious and included a nice bathtub. Since there are several B&B's right on the same lane, I would choose another one next time.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Maude59
cornwall,england
Reviewed June 1, 2012

We stayed at the Captain's House for one night in April. The Captain's house is a charismatic, beautiful building on the river. Upon our arrival, we were greeted by the friendly owners and directed to a convenient parking spot on the property. We were shown two bedrooms to choose from, even though we had booked a specific room, and we chose the cozy ensuite room by the river. The owner reccomended restaurants; this is a man who clearly knows Lynmouth well.
After an enjoyable evening in Lynmouth, eating at The Rising Sun and a pub quiz at The Village Inn (we would highly reccomend them both) we enjoyed a peaceful nights sleep in a comfortable and quirky bed!

Breakfast was delicious, it was hot and fresh and we devoured everything!

The house is full of interesting pieces of furniture, a friendly atmosphere, and we would reccomend a stay here. We will return!

A good tip from the owner was to visit the Valley of The Rocks, and we are very glad we did. It was a beautiful location, of interest to geologists like myself, and to zoologists like my partner. A must see!

Room Tip: The room by the river is cozy with cute lampshades! (you'll see what we mean!)
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank travelalot23
Andover, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 3, 2012

2 adults on a surprise break, which was organised by friends. We stayed in the "Captains Room", which was excellent. The hotel was very well decorated, and extremely clean all the way through. Breakfast was very good. Clifford always asked whether we would like more toast, and gave us as much tea or coffee as we wanted. We were never rushed to leave the breakfast table. Clifford was very knowledgeable about devon, and told us about all the places of interest we could visit during our stay. We found Cliford and Josie very good hosts, nothing was too much bother for them. They were very friendly. I do agree with them asking guests to remove their walking boots before entering their hotel, after it is only common sense to do this. Also respecting the place that you are staying in. If we were worried about leaving our boots outside the front door we would have had carrier bags to put them in, before taking to our room. If and when we visit Lynmouth,in Devon again we will definately stay at the "Captains Hotel".

Room Tip: I would definately choose the "Captains Room" Very nautical and charming.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends