“"Come, relax and enjoy it all with us." - we red on their webpage. WARNING!!! Stay away!!!”

The Captain's House
Ranked #12 of 15 Lynmouth B&B and Inns
Reviewed July 24, 2012

We were 4 adults, one child aged 4 and half and a little dog. We booked this B&B and paid full price upfront.Me and my partner were travelling separately from my sisters family, so we did arrive 2hours later(around 6pm). Surprise! There wasn't any one from the B&B staff to meet us and to show our rooms, except my sisters family!!! She did gave me keys and showed our room, while her husband did show to my partner where to park our car. Then she said to me: " we were told the breakfast is served between 08:10 and 8:50 and it's full English".
OK.We went to our room! Nice view on the river bank! That's all! Shower and the toilet were across the hall with communal towel in the loo!
Next morning I had a chance to meet the host. No "Hello" or "Morning", just short shout " I've made you table outside, it's a nice day, you can enjoy your breakfast". Thanks mate!!! I rely thought at least we would be offered to be seated outside in a nice and polite manner and not to be given an order!! We are adults age between 27 and 35 and we paid upfront!!! We deserve a nice service( or maybe not?)
It was a bit chilly outside, so i've asked if we can sit inside( as there was 3 tables available). NO! as we were 5 people there was not enough room for us(surprise!) and because my sister had a dog and a child. Nice!
The Breakfast:
Over cooked (fried)egg,small tomato ( size of a golf ball) cut in half, two small horribly tasted mushrooms, absolutely inedible some sort of a value sausage( our dog refused to eat it) and NO baked beans!(is this a full English breakfast should be?) all served on a small plate.Between 5 people we had 6 slices of toasts( another 6 arrived after we finished our plates).Not mentioning coffee!
We left soon after breakfast. One last surprise! There wasn't any one to say " Goodbye" or "thanks for staying", so we left keys on the antique table in the hall.
The summary: AVOID!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
11  Thank Irina S
There are newer reviews for The Captain's House

Reviewed June 2, 2012

There isn't really anything bad I can say about this property. Rather, there are just a few things that got under my skin. While certainly being knowledgeable about sites and restaurants in the area, Clifford gave one the impression that if you didn't do it his way, it would be the wrong way. Full payment was required up front for a 2-night stay. This normally is not the way payment is handled at a B&B. It made me feel as though we were untrustworthy folk and likely to fleece him if we had the opportunity. When the room was tidied during our absence, a few personal items were rearranged. Once again, I had the feeling that I was being shown the correct way to take care of my own things.

We paid a premium for a room with a larger bed, but I suppose I shouldn't complain about that since the en-suite was very spacious and included a nice bathtub. Since there are several B&B's right on the same lane, I would choose another one next time.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Maude59
Reviewed June 1, 2012

We stayed at the Captain's House for one night in April. The Captain's house is a charismatic, beautiful building on the river. Upon our arrival, we were greeted by the friendly owners and directed to a convenient parking spot on the property. We were shown two bedrooms to choose from, even though we had booked a specific room, and we chose the cozy ensuite room by the river. The owner reccomended restaurants; this is a man who clearly knows Lynmouth well.
After an enjoyable evening in Lynmouth, eating at The Rising Sun and a pub quiz at The Village Inn (we would highly reccomend them both) we enjoyed a peaceful nights sleep in a comfortable and quirky bed!

Breakfast was delicious, it was hot and fresh and we devoured everything!

The house is full of interesting pieces of furniture, a friendly atmosphere, and we would reccomend a stay here. We will return!

A good tip from the owner was to visit the Valley of The Rocks, and we are very glad we did. It was a beautiful location, of interest to geologists like myself, and to zoologists like my partner. A must see!

Room Tip: The room by the river is cozy with cute lampshades! (you'll see what we mean!)
2  Thank travelalot23
Reviewed May 3, 2012

2 adults on a surprise break, which was organised by friends. We stayed in the "Captains Room", which was excellent. The hotel was very well decorated, and extremely clean all the way through. Breakfast was very good. Clifford always asked whether we would like more toast, and gave us as much tea or coffee as we wanted. We were never rushed to leave the breakfast table. Clifford was very knowledgeable about devon, and told us about all the places of interest we could visit during our stay. We found Cliford and Josie very good hosts, nothing was too much bother for them. They were very friendly. I do agree with them asking guests to remove their walking boots before entering their hotel, after it is only common sense to do this. Also respecting the place that you are staying in. If we were worried about leaving our boots outside the front door we would have had carrier bags to put them in, before taking to our room. If and when we visit Lynmouth,in Devon again we will definately stay at the "Captains Hotel".

Room Tip: I would definately choose the "Captains Room" Very nautical and charming.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank 64smiler1
Reviewed April 22, 2012

We can only echo the worst of the reviews here. Additionally:

When asked if the breaksfast could be changed, we were told "no it had already been cooked", but scrambled egg was provided because another guest had cahnged from the previous day. So when had it been cooked? This scrambled egg was watery and tasteless. And the sausages were pale and rubbery. When more tea was requested, the pot came back immediately, and it was so weak it seemed all that happened was that more hot water had been added
After leaving, on looking at the notice board, we found we had paid for a "superior" en suite room, although ours was certainly very inferior, in the attic, the facilities were hardly en suite.

5  Thank brnoBristol
Reviewed April 13, 2012

2 adults on a very last minute Easter break away booked in for 2 nights. While I was parking the car my wife was being asked whether we wanted a full English for breakfast and what sitting we wanted, (0810 or 0850hrs prompt! do not be late).... I particularly asked for an en-suite room when booking. We were shown to a room on the top floor and given a separate key for the toilet and shower across the landing, not an en-suite by any standard and two further rooms on that landing so dressing gowns or pyjama's a necessity. The room was tired damp feeling and freezing cold, we were told they would put the heating on but the radiator remained chilled. We got a quick bite to eat in town, avoiding the Village Inn on the owners recommendation and decided that we would like to be moved. We were told that we were "lucky" to have a room on Good Friday and there was no alternative. We left there and then being told that we would not have a refund. The short period of time that were eating consequently cost us £60 which was £5 more than the internet advertised the rate as! We did find a beautiful B&B within the next hour which was stunning and £5 cheaper, obviously we are just very lucky! Don't waste your money here.

Room Tip: Stay elsewhere!
4  Thank ad54sue
Reviewed April 5, 2012

We were 5 adults and 2 children (aged 13 and 10) walking the coastpath. We arrived to have our entry barred by the owner and an order to remove our boots (fair enough). Boots removed we still weren't allowed in until we had agreed to the barked question "full English breakfast?" Then we were shown to our rooms. We had booked a twin room for the children but they were given a double because the twin was being decorated. No apology, just a shrug of the shoulders. The children's room was crammed with awful furniture, had to prop a chair against the wardrobe door to keep it shut. In the bedside cabinet of their room were 3 magazines about the paranormal. The covers of which were enough to give you nightmares. Definitely not suitable for children! All the rooms were cold. Heating was turned off, even though it was early April and still cold at night. One frayed, stiff,scratchy towel between 2 people.The bath mat in my sisters room was still wet from the previous user. Yuck!
The atmosphere was so unwelcoming. Breakfast was OK (just). Luke warm and thrust at you before you could barely start eating your cereal (choice of cornflakes or muesli in tatty plastic containers). The impression was that our host couldn't get you out of his house quick enough.
We had paid in advance, so felt that as our host had our money he didn't care about the service. Such a shame as the location is lovely and in the right hands this could be a fabulous B&B.

Room Tip: Go to a different B&B!
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank Kathryn M
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lynmouth
The Bath Hotel
#8 of 15 in Lynmouth
The Village Inn
The Village Inn
#10 of 15 in Lynmouth

Been to The Captain's House? Share your experiences!