“RUDE LANDLADY DO NOT EAT THERE”
Review of The Beer Engine

The Beer Engine
Ranked #22 of 530 Restaurants in Exeter
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Cosy gastropub and brewery with a covered balcony, tiered garden and a menu of locally sourced British dishes.
“RUDE LANDLADY DO NOT EAT THERE”
Reviewed January 1, 2013

I can not express my anger enough. I have never complained in a restaurant in my life but this women pushed me to the edge she was So rude to our friends to the point that we payed for our starters and our drink and left without eating our mains.

She grabbed my arm as i was going to the bar to ask me if i had a problem to which i replied well actually yes i dont like being spoken to like to like a dog. So she said why don't you leave then!!!! Unbelievable women DON'T EAT OR DRINK IN THIS PUB.

12 Thank JonSparks84

“Rude, monumental failure”
Reviewed December 31, 2012 via mobile

We arrived before our booking time of 8.30 to be told that we had to order by 8.15! We hurried and obliged only to be told that one of our group couldnt have what they wanted, the chef would only cook as per the menu, I couldnt even have chips instead of mash.... Really truly disappointing considering some of our party had travelled hundreds of miles. Service was utterly rude from start to finish. Gutted.

8 Thank outspan888
Exeter, United Kingdom
“A warm welcome on a cold day.”
Reviewed December 23, 2012

My husband & I visited today for a quick drink. We hadn't visited in a while. It was a cold day and this pub gave a warm welcome with its fire going & the pleasant staff. We only visited for a drink and not food as hadn't much time, I didn't know which cider to go for out of the 3 offered, and the gentleman who served us gave his recommendation which was appreciated - I made the right choice! Drink prices reasonable too.

There was a good buzz around the place, people of all ages eating & drinking and enjoying themselves. A couple near us got chatting to us about the recent flooding to the area, everyone seemed friendly which was nice.

From what I saw of the carvery it looked & smelt gorgeous. We will return for food next time.

• Visited December 2012
Exeter, United Kingdom
“Best in ages”
Reviewed December 10, 2012

Managed to get a table for 5 at fairly short notice on a Saturday evening in December.
Had heard good reports that the food was good.
The pub was very busy & everyone seemed to be enjoying themselves.
Pretty good menu, very varied & a good choice from the specials board.
Ordered the Garlic Mushrooms to start, never had them like that before, abosolutely delisious & a very good portuion with garlic bread.
For mains i went with the Sea Bass & was not dissappointed. 2 pieces of bass topped the lyonesse potatoes & the cream sauce was superb, The dessert (thunder & lightning) ice cream with clotted cream, yummy. Our friends were not dissappointed with their choices & a great evening was enjoyed by all. The waitress staff were very pleasant with great service & the lady who took our order could not be faulted, very friendly & chatty. Thanks for a great meal & i know we will return.

• Visited December 2012
Exeter
“Cosy in the winter”
Reviewed November 25, 2012

Great ale of course! Open fires and relaxed attitude, although the woman in charge can be a bit full on.

Visited December 2011