“Mixed meal”

Ranked #46 of 585 Restaurants in Exeter
Good for: Large groups, Bar scene
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed July 5, 2018

Visited the Hourglass with some friends and had a bit of a mixed meal. Some of the mains were excellent (slow cooked lamb and brownie) but others did not particularly work. I was very disappointed with my squid dish- the squid was slightly tough and it did not go with the fennel gratin accompaniment.

One thing that I would say is that the staff were very friendly and the atmosphere was great. I think we would definitely make a return visit to have a few drinks.

Date of visit: June 2018

Reviewed July 3, 2018

We stopped here for a drink on the way to the quay. It was in a residential area and blended in perfectly with the surrounding street. It was an unusual shaped building which made it a bit different from all the other pubs and bars in Exeter.
The emphasis seemed to be on dining but we were made perfectly welcome, even though we were only having a pint. The menu did look good. It had some great sounding options and if time had of allowed, we would have been happy to eat here.
It felt nice and relaxed and I'm really pleased to have chanced upon this pub.

Date of visit: July 2018
Reviewed June 29, 2018

My friend and I decided to try The Hourglass for lunch, a quirky pub tucked down a residential street in Exeter. Their menu is interesting, the wine list is extensive and their range of other drinks is unusual, just don't expect a large range of lager ;-)

We both had a starter I had burrata on a bed of kale dotted with hazelnuts and occasionally there was a little kick of chilli and coriander seed, my friend had a little gem lettuce salad - both were quite large. To follow I had the rib-eye steak and my friend had the duck. Both generous portions again, tasty and well seasoned. This was washed down with a decent glass of Primitive (I think) - well whatever it was it was nice.

Overall a good experience.

Date of visit: June 2018
Reviewed May 21, 2018

We had a lovely Monday evening dinner at The Hourglass. Great service in a charming back dining room - delicious freshly cooked food with lots of vegetables. A good wine list made it a very fun evening.

Date of visit: May 2018
1  Thank Claire S
Reviewed May 2, 2018

Just moved onto the quay & discovered this little gem! We had the most lovely evening sat in the bar. It was a cool evening so open fire was very welcome!. Started off with some super real ales prior to eating....the food was divine! I had the duck and my partner had the squid, both executed to perfection, followed by the cheeseboard to share! If you're foodies you'll love it here. Atmospheric traditional bar with much charm & what we felt was great service from the landlord & staff; nothing was too much trouble. Would rrecommend the great house red which comes in whole or half carafes.... we managed two! A special first evening & the first of many.... we are delighted to be locals! Thank you!

Date of visit: May 2018