“Evening out”

Ranked #58 of 551 Restaurants in Exeter
Good for: Bar scene, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed January 25, 2013

This was my first experience at the hourglass pub in my local town of Exeter. The pub was small but warm and friendly. It looked a little run down, but this I think was part of its character. The bar staff were very friendly, and there were a good selection of beers and wines.
The reason for visiting here was as a leaving party for a colleague at work. A sit down meal had been arranged prior to our visit. After purchasing drinks at the bars we were ushered to our table.
There were stairs leading to a basement dining area which looked as if you were going into a dungeon, but instead led into a spacious area with tables arranged in rows.
The menu we chose was three course, with a very different selection of starter, main and dessert. My choice was chilli and garlic chickpea salad with feta and pomegranate. It was very tasty not what I would normally have chosen, but glad I did. The main was Grilled rib-eye steak, well done served with chips and fresh tomatoes. The steak was cooked to perfection, and just the right size portion. Horseradish cream was available with the steak. For dessert cheese with quince jelly & biscuits.
The waitress service was polite and to be congratulated for speed and efficiency.
All in all an outstanding meal with excellent service.
Would highly recommend.

2  Thank Wayne W

Reviewed January 22, 2013

I've been here about 3 or 4 times, every time I go there, its like walking into a world of knowing charm, the lighting is warm and subdued, its cramped but cosseting, the beer is well kept, the food simple but beautifully cooked, it feels a bit like one of those small pubs down a mews street you might get in Mayfair or Belgravia in London but with less angst and more charm and thought. Seriously, its that good.

Reviewed January 13, 2013

Enjoyed a glass of champagne, accompanied by the duck, plum chutney, mash and braised cucumber. What an absolute delight. We eat here as much as we can and are never disappointed.

Reviewed December 7, 2012

Best Pub in Exeter!
I have been going there for many years, you always receive a warm welcome and the staff are very friendly. Food is excellent as is the Wine list, both change constantly with the exception of a few staples such as the Steak and Chips which is consistently good. Good mix of regulars including one man who does in fact own his own brewery!

1  Thank Philip A
Reviewed November 30, 2012

This hidden gem could be the best place to eat in Exeter. It is hidden away, but never disappoints. Good wholesome natural food. The menu changes with the seasons.