“Worst pub landlord we have experienced ”
Review of The Prospect Inn

The Prospect Inn
Ranked #41 of 568 Restaurants in Exeter
Description: Away from the bustle of the city, relax with a bite to eat, a pint of ale and watch the world go by...or grab a board game from our crate. Complimentary WiFi
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

My fiancé and I were served by a very lovely young member of staff to start with. He is undoubtedly one of the few reasons this pub maintains customers because it’s NOT the manager / owner.

We noticed the owner with a drink several times whilst we were sitting, and when we mildly asked what he was drinking as it must be nice, he was extremely rude to us. Thankfully we hadn’t ordered any food yet so we were happy to vote with our feet.

Now I have seen these other reviews suggesting the owner / manager was drunk on duty. It might be wiser to test the products behind the scenes where customers aren’t at risk of being offended.

2  Thank smittenkitten14

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Great setting in Exeter Quays. Sat outside in the beautiful weather, a good way to pass time on.
Friendly staff, good beer, great location.
Well recommended

Reviewed July 10, 2018 via mobile

We came here to eat on a Thursday after work to get some food. Although we go to Exeter a lot we hadn’t been here so fancied a change. The service was great. All of us had the burgers which were lovely, with cheese in a brioche bun! The home made chips are the best chips I’ve ever had. It’s a lovely location right on exeter quay. My only personal thought was that there was slightly too much cheese (I know most people will disagree with this!) it was very thick on top of the burger. Great place and well worth the visit.

SAC1976, Owner at The Prospect Inn, responded to this reviewResponded July 11, 2018

Good Evening
Many thanks for taking the time to write a review - it is much appreciated. As an independent business we love to support the fantastic local producers on our doorsteps and it is great to hear you enjoyed the Pipers Farm Red Ruby burger in a Shaldon Bakery brioche with proper chips! We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you again

Reviewed July 8, 2018 via mobile

The stage was set... England quarter finals (it's coming home) 90 minutes later we all know what happened, England booked there place in the semi finals.

After the match and the heat of the mid day sun we thought it would be nice to get a bite to eat and possibly a alcoholic beverage.

This is where our story took a wicked turn... Upon approval we where greeted by a member of staff and told we are not serving England fans! Pardon I replied... I was told again we are not serving England fans.

So we had to tell our disabled friend Timmy the reason we couldn't stop for lunch was because he was wearing a England football shirt. What a total disappointment.

Luckily the there was a lovely pub on the walk back to the car which was very welcoming and had wheelchair access so the day was saved.

Shame on you The Prospect.

SAC1976, Owner at The Prospect Inn, responded to this reviewResponded July 8, 2018

Good Evening
I see you found us on here, as you said you would!
We are a football free zone, as we are a family friendly food pub - our customers visit us to relax and do not want to be intimidated by raucous behaviour! Your racist comments when you were refused entry just confirmed our decision to not allow you entry!

Reviewed July 5, 2018

We had visited the quay the day before and decided to return to get an early evening meal. We chose the Prospect as it looked like a proper pub and was independent which us getting more unusual every day.
The service was a little hit and miss which is why we didn't give it the top rating. There were two servers behind the bar when we arrived. One was a bit too casual in my opinion, have a laid back, friendly attitude by all means but you still need to keep that professional edge. The other staff member was just that, friendly, laid back but she still knew her stuff and was very helpful in advising my wife on her choice of gin.
We ordered one chilli and a fish and chips. Both meals were excellent. I have noted that other reviewers talk about greasy food but this was not a problem my wife had, her fish was crispy and fresh, lovely. My chilli didn't look like a massive portion but it was deceptively filling and had a good amount of heat with it. The chorizo gave it an extra dimension. Not sure about the chocolate but that is a personal choice. Prices were very reasonable considering the quality.
I had a nice pint of cider with my meal, it was on the expensive side, but sometimes it's ok to pay a bit more and get something a bit different.
I would have no qualms about returning in the future

Good Evening
Thank you for taking the time to write a detailed review of your visit - we are very proud to be an independent offering home cooked proper pub food, friendly service and supporting local producers. I have taken on board your comment about one of our team and will keep an eye on this.
We look forward to welcoming you again