“60th Birthday”
Review of Puffing Billy

Puffing Billy
Ranked #8 of 534 Restaurants in Exeter
Cuisines: Gastropub
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Families with children, Large groups, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Exeter, United Kingdom
“60th Birthday”
Reviewed March 3, 2013

This was a fabulous experience one I would recommend to anyone. Food great, service unbeatable, staff friendly and most of all whatever we requested was done very quickly and efficiently. We certainly will be going back.

• Visited March 2013

“Lovely food, service, surroundings & location”
Reviewed February 28, 2013 via mobile

My wiife & I ate here the other night, lovely surroundings, cosy & very clean. I had a glorious piece of tender lamb & my wife had an equally succulent cut of pork, all in all a we had a lovely evening. Will definitely spread the word & we will be back.

Exeter
“Great service, pretty good food”
Reviewed February 25, 2013

Not the best table right by the kitchen - but they had warned us which was good. Very good service and nice food, although the calves liver was way too under cooked (sorry - raw) in the middle. Pudding a bit small.

• Visited February 2013
Exmouth
“Good to return...”
Reviewed February 13, 2013

Came here for dinner on a Monday evening with three friends.

Hadn't been to the Puffing Billy for over 4 years, as the prices there had got far too expensive for my budget. Since then it has changed hands.
On the whole, the prices are now not quite as steep, although calves liver and bacon at £14.95 was a bit steep. Particularly so as it was the 'mash' that went with this which was the only disappointment - it was not that hot!
But overall the food was excellent, and the staff extremely pleasant. We were surprised to be seated in the bar area rather than the restaurant - but I am sure there must have been a good reason. It was just that the wooden floor in the bar area is very noisy, especially when a certain member of staff walks up and down - clack clack, clack clack. It didn't worry me at all, but it did another member of my party.

I shall certainly return.

• Visited February 2013
andrew y, Owner at Puffing Billy, responded to this review, February 20, 2013
Many thanks for writing your review of The Puffing Billy. I am delighted that enjoyed your visit. I do take your point about the price of our Liver on our Specials Board. We do try to keep our general pricing very competitive (see our daily set menu at £14.95 for two courses) but it has been difficult to source quality liver at lower prices that can give a consistently tender result on the plate! However we will continually look at pricing and portion size to try to get it right for our diners.
Many thanks again for taking the time to post your review.
With best wishes
Andrew
devon
“walking on the coastal path”
Reviewed February 11, 2013

walking the coastal path from exeter to exmouth is a lovely walk or cycle & the Puffing Billy is en-route for a drink, meal or just a quick stop for a cuppa, nice atmosphere & friendly staff.

Visited June 2012