“What a find!”
Review of Puffing Billy

Puffing Billy
Ranked #6 of 548 Restaurants in Exeter
Cuisines: Gastropub
Good for: Business meetings, Families with children, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Large groups, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed November 4, 2012

We were on our way to Exmouth after a long journey and wanted to have a bite to eat, and loved the name on the sign so turned off. We were warmly welcomed, and had a delicious quick lunch of scallops and a pannini. It was beautifully presented tasted lovely, and we wished that we had been able to have a full meal as the food elsewhere looked really good. It was almost full on a Wednesday lunchtime in llate October.

Thank you very much.

andrew y, Owner at Puffing Billy, responded to this reviewResponded November 7, 2012

Many thanks for taking the time to post your review on Tripadvisor. I am delighted that you enjoyed your visit and that you decided to drop in on the off chance.

Andrew and the team

Reviewed October 31, 2012

We arranged a lunch party for sixteen people at The Puffing Billy and Andrew and his staff couldn't have been more helpful. On the day everything went according to plan (despite two guests dropping out at the last minute). The food was excellent, the service was great and best of all everyone enjoyed it. It was also very good value. This is in our view the best pub restaurant in the area.

Dear Colin,
Many thanks for choosing us for your birthday party. I am so glad that it went well for you and we all enjoyed looking after your party.
We look forward to seeing you again soon.
Andrew and the team

Reviewed October 25, 2012

We have entertained business colleagues, organised family get celebrations and enjoyed quiet meals for two at this lovely and friendly restaurant. We are never disappointed in the presentation and quality of food and always made very welcome by the efficient and friendly staff.
As my husband is an avid meat eater and I am vegetarian it would be easy to fail one of us, they never do! During one lunchtime business meal the chef prepared for me a delicious salad which wasn't on the menu. That's the kind of service that makes you want to return, guess we'll keep doing just that.

andrew y, Owner at Puffing Billy, responded to this reviewResponded October 28, 2012

Many thanks for taking the time to post your review on Tripadvisor. I am delighted that you had such a good experience at The Puffing Billy and we make sure that all our staff get to see the reviews that are posted here and that we collect from our comment cards.
I do hope that we see you again soon and many thanks again for your kind comments.

Reviewed October 6, 2012

We booked this restaurant from Australia as it was close to relatives we were visiting. It was to be a special reunion dinner for 8 of us. All started well, the staff were welcoming and the table we had been recommended by the staff to book was excellent as it allowed room and easy access for the elderly members of our party. The menus were delivered and the wonderful staff went patiently through the menu several times with those who were hard of hearing, taking time to explain everything clearly and with good grace. The orders placed, the food arrived and we were delighted at how delicious, well presented and beautifully prepared everything was. One of our party, my sister in law, decided to be her usual difficult self ( we are used to the behaviour ) and send back her food claiming something was wrong with it, not a murmur from the staff just an apology and a new meal presented, this again did not meet her standard, I tasted the food and there was absolutely nothing wrong with it, in fact I wish I had ordered it, so delicious was the sauce. And I must say at this point if I was the chef I would have had enough but no, out came a replacement, complaining again I stepped in and had a firm word in the sister in laws ear as she was by now spoiling what was a celebration meal. In all this the staff were more than attentive to the rest of our party, I had quietly ordered some more wine and that kept the waiters busy filling glasses and distracting attention from my end of the table. The desserts were sublime, so yummy I could easily have had seconds, yet again the staff were there, quietly clearing, filling glasses, providing coffee and checking everyone, especially our older guests were enjoying themselves. I have travelled and eaten in some amazing places but the staff in this restaurant get my award for their discreet handling of a very painful customer, their care and attention to our older guests who all felt very special as a result of this service. And hats off to the chef and all the kitchen staff for their patience and most of all the wonderful food ! What a great restaurant and all due to such a great team of staff. Thank you for making our dinner special !!

andrew y, Owner at Puffing Billy, responded to this reviewResponded October 10, 2012

Many thanks for such a wonderful review of your experience at The Puffing Billy. All of our staff have read your comments and they are delighted that it all worked out well in the end. It is very heartening and encouraging for the kitchen and front of house staff to be recognised in this way - and for this I can only be very grateful.
I do hope that we will see you again sometime - although Australia is quite a way to come from for a spur of the moment meal!
With very best wishes and thanks for such a thoughtful review.

Reviewed September 28, 2012

I have visited with business colleagues on a few occasions and the food is always of a high standard. The menu is quite varied and always interesting.

On this occasion, I had a lobster starter which looked a little disappointing given how much the starter cost - but the taste, combinations of textures and hold and cold elements was sublime. I chose belly pork from the fixed price menu as a main and was not expecting too much - but I was wrong - it was cooked beautifully and was complimented by a superb sauce - the vegetables were just right and cooked to perfection.

My colleagues were equally impressed with their food.

Many thanks for taking the time to post your review of your recent experience at The Puffing Billy. I am delighted that you enjoyed your meal and I do hope that you will visit again soon. It means a great deal to get honest feedback from customers and hopefully we will continue to maintain and improve what we do for the long term.

Andrew Younger

Been to Puffing Billy? Share your experiences!