“Consistent Excellence”

Herbies
Ranked #28 of 539 Restaurants in Exeter
Good for: Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Herbies has a creatively eclectic menu with flavours from around the world.Enjoy the laid back bistro style atmosphere with the very best vegetarian food.A favourite with locals and visitors alike.
Reviewed February 5, 2013

Friendly staff, good service and consistently excellent vegetarian food. In my view, this is the best vegetarian restaurant in Exeter.

Reviewed January 22, 2013

While visiting Exeter, we ate at Herbie's as I had read good reviews here on tripadvisor and my teenage daughter is a vegetarian. Even though the rest of our family are carnivores, we all agreed that the food at Herbie's was excellent. Everything freshly made and quite delicious. Very friendly and helpful waiter and a cozy atmosphere.

Reviewed January 10, 2013

Great food, even our meat eaters were extremely happy. Menu has a lot of choice, the wine selection was fantastic and everything was so reasonably priced. A revisit is definitely on the cards!

Reviewed January 7, 2013

I used to be a huge fan of Herbies, as I loved their simple hearty veggie meals, particularly the bean burgers, the huge jacket potatoes with the fillings and beautiful verdant side salads and the pitta and dips. The place was always busy and hard to get a seat in, but was worth it because the food was lovely, cheap, healthy and the waiting staff (although overworked!) were always pleasant and friendly.

What a difference these days. The menu is smaller as are the portions, the plates lack imagination and enthusiasm, but worst of all the staff all seem to be young students who don't have the sense or courtesy to keep an eye on tables (meaning orders are taken in the wrong order), or neglect customers to the point that they lose all good will. I was sat waiting for someone to take my order for over ten minutes and watched several other people served and the floor circled three times before I was noticed. When I finally did attract the distracted young waiter's attention I made a cheery joke about feeling invisible and was coldly informed that the restaurant was "very busy". I suggested that an apology might have been a better answer and got a stare.

Won't be going again, despite having been a loyal customers since the early 90s. Pull your socks up Herbies.

2  Thank Law T
Reviewed December 29, 2012

We called in on the evening of Christmas eve without reserving a table and despite being ultra busy we were welcomed and offered the last table for 2 in the restaurant. As ever, the staff were really helpful and even though it was a busy night the food and service was excellent. we usually eat here at lunch times but whether evening or lunchtime we cannot fault the food or service.