“A Very civilised place” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of ASK Italian - Exeter

ASK Italian - Exeter
Ranked #81 of 514 Restaurants in Exeter
Cuisines: Pizza, Italian
Good for: Romantic, Large groups, Families with children, Special occasions, Kids, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Brunch, Lunch, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: The ASK Italian restaurant group boasts an excellent Exeter venue, situated in a stunning period building on the green next to Exeter Cathedral. The ASK Italian restaurant has recently gone through an extensive refurbishment. We've created a restaurant with a distinctive new look inspired by modern Italian design. And with the help of our expert friends, including awarding-winning chef Theo Randall, we've created a menu that features a range of simple, classic Italian food and an all Italian wine list.
Hereford, England
“A Very civilised place”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 12, 2013

A large historic building on the cathedral close. Quiet, spacious dining areas, with good menu fairly priced.

Visited October 2013

Reading UK
“Very Good Italian food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 28, 2013

We booked a special meal for visiting family and had an excellent table and very good food and wine with plenty to fill up the younger members of the family. the prices seemed very reasonable though we were treated so the precise cost is not clear to us.

Visited June 2013
Newton Abbot, England, United Kingdom
“great location, awful attitude & service”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 22, 2013

Having selected Ask Italian for lunch today, I entered at about 3.00 pm, no one was welcoming customers, I had to approach a female member of staff to ask if I could get a table, she gave me vague directions to the other side of the restaurant, telling me I needed to talk to the manager, the manager was polite and helpful and directed me to a table with a view of the Cathedral, I did however have to give him my order for a coffee.
After about 5 mins the coffee arrived and the waitress seemed perfectly ok.
My wife joined me around 15 mins later, we preceded to wait to be serve, and waited, and waited, finally after another 15 mins the waitress who had brought my coffee over earlier decided to speak to us, no apology for keeping us waiting, I'd point out at this time that there was almost no one in the restaurant, tables around us had not been cleared and no member of staff had spoken or acknowledged our presence for over half an hour.
When I asked for clarification over the content of the gluten free pizza base - I am extremely allergic to some substitutes for wheat especially buckwheat - the waitress went off to check and then came back to inform us that they weren't doing GF pizza's today... At this point I explained that we were leaving and I was not paying for the coffee as I had had over 35 minutes of my time wasted, the waitress said she would get the manager, but as we made our way, slowly, from the table neither she not the manager appeared to speak to us.
So to sum up, a restaurant with a great location, but staff with no concept of even the most basic hospitality or service. It would not be an exaggeration to say that in nearly 30 years of eating out, this was the poorest, shabbiest and most indifferent service I have experienced.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Exeter
“There are better Italian restaurants close by”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 21, 2013

Nice location and friendly staff, if you don't mind the non Italian eastern European waitress throwing cutlery around every time she cleared a table that is.

I thought an Italian restaurant would serve fresh pasta? To be honest I've had better tasting pasta from the value range in the supermarkets.

Other than that, it was ok. Nice atmosphere. Will be going to Prezzo next time.

England
“Always nice to pop in for lunch”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 12, 2013 via mobile

Food is always pleasant, as are the staff. The restaurant looks right onto the cathedral green and is housed in a very interesting and beautiful property. The kids menus are great too!