“Lots of character, wonderful breakfast”

Braeside Guesthouse
Ranked #12 of 68 Exeter B&B and Inns
Reviewed July 13, 2011

The rooms were very nice, we loved the decor. Breakfast included a lot more than we had expected and it was also very nice. The only downside was that our room was facing a fairly loud street, although we did leave our window open at night.

Room Tip: They do not all have an en suite, we made sure to have one
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for Braeside Guesthouse

Reviewed April 24, 2011

My husband and I spent three nights at The Braeside due to a family emergency. We were told the price for a double room would be £59 and with en-suite £69. We opted for the en-suite for more privacy. We arrived for quite a late check in (around 9.40pm) and the gentleman who let us in was very nice, very polite. He carried my suitcase to the room on the first floor (room number 1) and explained about the keys, the breakfast, the parking and asked if I'd like a map. Please be aware that the parking for this hotel (and I'll add it's the same for almost all of the hotels on this road) is a nightmare and ridiculously limited. About six spaces on the entire road and if you don't manage to nab one of them, then you'll be driving up and down the roads looking for a space (permits are included in the b&b price so that's no extra) or paying for the all day car park at £5 a pop. We had room number one. Couldn't fault it on it's cleanliness, it was spotless. Bed was very comfortable, super bouncy but a tad narrow for a double and the flipping headboard wouldn't stop banging on the wall (and not for the right reasons, either!!!) but it couldn't be moved, ah well. Tea and coffee facilities in the room as well as a little flat screen tv to watch from the bed. I was very disappointed at having paid an extra £10 for en-suite only to find that the toilet was so crammed in between the wall and the shower, that the door of the shower had to be opened to enable us to sit on the toilet (one foot on the floor, one in the plughole, lolol) Not worthy of the extra money at all. Lovely big window which can be opened but also note that the road below is REALLY busy with traffic including buses and people, day and night. Didn't bother me but I know it would some people.
Breakfast was fine, a standard fry up with the option to also have some cereal, fresh orange, tea or coffee. Various condiments available such as jams, marmalade, marmite, ketchup etc etc. There's also a vegetarian option available for the non meat eaters.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
4  Thank SamLouise67
Reviewed April 12, 2011

Braeside Guest House - Exeter

Booked for 3 nights from 11th March 2011

I booked this listed as a single standard room but was not told that this room was an attic room, three floors up narrow stairs with a wash hand basin in the room and nearest shower was on the floor below, shared with the occupants of the two floors.

I arrived at the agreed time to find a message on the door asking me to contact a mobile number for the number of the key box so that I could let myself in. This I duly did and went into the house.

I struggled up to the room ( I am asthmatic and suffer from panic attacks) I looked at the accomodation and decided that I could not stay in that room.

I sat on the stairs for about 20 minutes until the proprietors arrived back and told them that the room was not suitable. I was then offered another room on the 2nd floor at a higher price.

When the booking was made I was not made aware that the bedrooom was an attic. After explaining that I could not stay there and why, I picked up my bags and left.

I presume that because I had not given the 24 hours notice I was charged the £40 for the room. After disputing this with Visa I was told that there was nothing they could do.

I feel ripped off to say the least. If you buy goods over the internet and they are not suitable then you have 7 days to return them and get a refund.

Please be aware that this does not seem to spply to room bookings.

4  Thank brigus115
clive a, Owner at Braeside Guesthouse, responded to this reviewResponded August 15, 2011

you were the worst customer we have had, rude pass remarkable, and a single standard room means standard thats why the cost is £40 , you never made anyone aware of your health problems when you booked , the toilet was opposite your room and there were 2 tiolets and a shower between 3 people , the stairs are standard size stairs as it says on our access statement..................................... we do not have a lift ........................
cancellation policies are there for a reason
check in times also ?

Reviewed September 11, 2010

I have stayed at Braeside most Tuesdays for the past few months due to work at Exeter University. Compared to some B & Bs near to Exeter Uni I have stayed at, this one is really good value, clean and friendly. The two rooms I have experienced on different occasions are nice, moderate in size - I would not say cramped by any means, lovely shower and bathroom (not ensuite) that is nicely decorated and very clean. As the B & B is on one of the main routes into the centre, traffic is audible in rooms at the front but not overwhelmingly so. The hosts are really helpful, friendly and breakfast is good.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled on business
2  Thank CornwallDancer11
Reviewed September 10, 2010

.For £69 stay at the Premier Inn instead. I would hate to see what a "Visit England" 1 star accommodation is if this is 4 star. Be warned if you park in the car park just over the road and overstay you will get a £100 fine - just to add insult to injury

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank bikermph
clive a, Manager at Braeside Guesthouse, responded to this reviewResponded August 16, 2011

premier inn is at least £89 for the same type of room if we had one in the town center ?
parking we supply a parking voucher for £1.50 for 24hrs worth of parking in the town center , yet you choose to use a private car park your choice so you need to abide by there rules , if you over stay any where you will get fined nothing is for free these day , we would have give you a permit for£1.50 saving you £98.50 do the maths ?

Reviewed June 24, 2010

Don't do this if you are looking for a grade 2 listed building in the centre of the city close to the cultural landmarks!

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled on business

you headline states not very clean , but your score for this is 4 out of 5 doesnt seem right ?

Reviewed May 11, 2010

This is a very neat and well presented B & B. However be aware that some rooms are up several flights of stairs...could be a problem if older of infirm. Our twin room rather small and twin room on top floor that we stayed our second night a little roomier.Caught a glimpse of nice double rooms on lower floors.Great breakfast, great hosts, great location.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple