“Good location, great value, pleasant service”
Review of Cedar Lodge Hotel

Cedar Lodge Hotel
Ranked #58 of 68 Exeter B&B and Inns
Reviewed September 21, 2012

Good value, clean rooms and pleasant service. There was a very pleasant walk to town via a river stroll which took only 15 minutes to get to the Cathedral. We rented 2 rooms one double and one with 2 singles. Rooms were small but had lots of drawer space available and plenty of wall plugs for charging ( unexpected in these older B & B's. The bathrooms were brand new with a tub and a really good pressure shower. The beds were a bit soft but ever so cozy! I would like to thank the front desk for even lending me a European iPad charger. Very unexpected.  Wifi was very strong in breakfast area. I would recommend this hotel to anyone who is looking for good value and do not mind a short walk to town. Please note this hotel is in the process of changing thier name to the Cedar lodge

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family

Reviewed September 14, 2012

The Oke Lodge Hotel is little more than a dirty, stinking, unfriendly apology for a hotel, going by a different name above the door to the one on the website, a row of tatty terraced houses knocked through on the ground floor only with derelict weed covered back yards at the rear.Not wanting to undermine the value of homeless night shelters I suspect their clients would have walked away. As the hotel is a set of knocked through terraced house each old house still has a door ( now needed as the only fire escapes for three floors of bedrooms) and the original doorbells have been kept thoug presumably detached). Don't be deceived and look for the the door which may be open ( that being the Cedar Lodge Hotel) and a way in. The welcome was unenthusiastic and weary but understandable as the eastern european girl could be depressed by where she has ended up in our lovely country, the receptionist too eager to watch her TV at her desk and probably embarrassed herself at the state of the premises and nervous about showing two elderly, respectable looking, weary travellers around..
The smell greets you first, and NOT a welcoming one of sweetness, home cooking or good hygiene. The room which was apparently greatly reduced through booking.com at £65 was up at least four flights of dimly lit stairs to the second floor ( we think on that floor the adjoining terraced houses making up the hotel are not knocked through being linked only at ground level) with loosley fitting trip hazard dingy dark carpets greeting us with its 'odour'. Not a nice room. On asking where the fire escape route is we were told down the same 4 flights of stairs. Not ideal or safe. No alternative route out of the top floor in an emergency or a fire escape out of a window) and a very heavy looking fire extinguisher at the bottom of the first steps down. Surely not legal?
The ground floor room offered as a swap was at least escapable through a small window to a weed covered old back yard, but it stunk even more even with a wide open window, was dusty, with a filthy, worn carpet, tired, scratched furniture, dust everywhere, a filthy white blind, dingy old bedding, no matress protector, the shower which opened straight off the bedroom with a fully see through door greeted us with a horrible pong when we risked opening the door. The toilet through a door which was once the back door to the house (now closed off by the conversion to a toilet)) was not much nicer, removing another fire escape. The horror of the room is summed up by the derelict fridge which dominates one part of the room. Thinking it could possibly house some fresh milk, we made a terrible mistake and opened it. I will allow your imagination as to how bad the smell of the empty, uncleaned derelict fridge, rusting away at the bottom and growing mould elsewhere that greeted us. Having opened the fridge and the shower just made the smell worse. We then tried to see if the wide open window shut, it did but with no fresh air getting in the the smell was even worse. Such a pity. But the thought of a breakfast prepared in the kitchen there after seeing two of the rooms and THAT fridge and the reception rooms made us decide to leave and seek a refund. At least there was no argument about that, though we are assuming the money will reach our account.
However, sitting in a tiny parking space with nowhere to sleep is not a nice situation to be in. No help was offered by Booking.com other than to ring the hotel and confirm the cancellation and refund and that was after the first advisor hung up on us. We ended driving up the M5 till we found a motorway services with a room free. No compaints about the lovely big, clean, warm room we have here with clean linen, nice fresh smelling air and a lovely warm reception, fire escapes and good hygeine and for £55. ( Days Inn).
We do have some photos but not yet in a sharable or downloadable format.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank JoS772
Reviewed July 1, 2012

The price of this hotel was too expensive for what it was.It is not a Hotel more of a B & B.The room was not particularly clean or well appointed. We had to ask for another set of towels only . The en suite was cramped loo on an angle knees hitting the door,wash basin tiny ,shower poor,several attempts to flush loo.Room bit grubby and dated.Breakfast good the one member of staff very good.We would not go there for half the price(£35)

Room Tip: Go somewhere else Look at reviews
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank BrendanOOOO
Reviewed June 9, 2012

We booked this hotel online on our way into Exeter one night at around 10 p.m.. Upon arrival at the hotel the clerk said that rooms aren't to be booked that late because they do not have a 24 hour desk. We were glad that we arrived before she left.

Arriving at the hotel was an adventure as the name on the outside of the hotel is different than the name of the hotel. When you go to the website for the Oke Lodge Hotel it comes up as the Cedar Lodge Hotel (that's what's written on the outside of the hotel) so we weren't sure if we were at the right place.

The room was average sized, the bathroom smaller than we've been experiencing in England but was clean and in good shape. The room was fairly clean - although the drawers had crumbs in them and there was a pudding wrapper under the bed. The sheet had a hole in the side of it and the bathmat was a bit worn with a hole as well.

Breakfast was good. It was a traditional English Breakfast and the service was prompt.

We were very pleased with the staff, they were cheerful and courteous.

Room Tip: We were at the top and it was quiet
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank go4adrive
Reviewed May 23, 2012

While on business I booked a last minute deal thinking I was getting a good hotel at a great price on laterooms.com, I cocked up as I did not know there was a “Guest House/B&B” category within the list! I actually paid £55 which was the full price anyway..

A great stay if you’re an Eastern European builder who goes to bed after 1.30am with a skin full and rises before 5am with a great amount of noise. Breakfast (that was literally thrown in) was un edible as the bread (not naturally brown) was still frozen and wet. No one working here really speaks English, at least not a dialect I have come across on my travels and they really added the "don't care" factor to my stay.

Decor was right out of the late 60's/early 70's but you know what I could have lived with that this being the West Country it was the smell and the constant dog barking on a warm evening that really got me got to me.

Overall, over priced if £25 per night – avoid, avoid, avoid!

Room Tip: None as noisy and smelly
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Kelvin B
Reviewed May 7, 2012

I stayed here with three of my friends, there were four of us in a dated skanky room, it smelt awfull, it would have been ok if we were looking for a BB on a budget, but I thought we had booked into a nice Hotel, it wants shutting down and re-doing up, do not go if you are elderly or have children, I would not let my boys stop in those beds.

Room Tip: Book a different Hotel
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Nortyone
Reviewed November 4, 2010

I recieved a warm welcome at reception on arrival. My room was on the second floor (dormer room) and the young lady at the desk kindly helped me up withy my bags.
In direct opposition to what I have read here the tv had a 100 channel tuner box with a superb picture and nowhere in the hotel did I see any "sticky" carpets.
The room itself was perfectly clean and the en suite bathroom was pristine with a very roomy shower (I am 6'2" and 17st.)
I had a really restfull sleep both nights in a comfortable bed with absolutely no noise.
Maybe this is there one good room that I don't know but anyone booking a single room should as for room 20.
As is generally reported the breakfast was very good and the staff were friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled solo