“A great hotel with lovely staff”
Review of The Devon Hotel

The Devon Hotel
Ranked #4 of 31 Hotels in Exeter
GreenLeadersBronze level
London, United Kingdom
“A great hotel with lovely staff”
Reviewed March 4, 2013 via mobile

I've been so delighted with my stay at The Devon Hotel. I stayed here for work, for 2 nights. The room is neat, clean and well stocked with tea supplies, a hairdryer, desk space etc.
The hotel looks pleasant from the outside and even though it is on the edge of an industrial estate it looks lovely and well looked after, the lawns are lovely and hotel has plenty of parking etc.
The restaurant / bar area is nice, big comfy seats in the bar area and a spacious restaurant.
I ordered from the bar 'light bites' menu both evenings and the food I had was fresh and tasty. Breakfast.. I stick to toast and coffee but there was a fair selection of continental and full English breakfasts.
All the staff I've encountered have been friendly, helpful and polite.
I will definitely be using the hotel again if I nee to stay in the area.

• Stayed March 2013
2 Thank FiMcB

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (271)
Winchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 3, 2013

Stayed here for 2 nights, nice hotel, good restaurant, with a good breakfast selection. Rooms were small, but had everything you needed, and with a decent sized car park. Walking distance to the 'Park and Ride' buses into town. In general a good hotel in a convenient spot, would stay here again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank MoparCFCSteve
bristol
Reviewed March 2, 2013 via mobile

I stayed at the Devon hotel for one night on a business trip. I think one night is a long enough stay. I had been booked into a double room but I would say its more like a single room with a double bed. Luckily I didn't have to do extra work when I arrived as there would have not been enough room. The room was very clean and shower was lovely. The reception staff were very helpful as well. Food in resturant was very nice but the only thing I would say is that the staff did hover waiting to clear your plates which is off putting. The thing that lets this hotel down is the conferencing facilities. I was there on business to attend & organise a conference . I would say the hotel is more geared up for private parties rather that important business needs. Throughout the day I had to chase staff for things & the most disappointing thing that let the hotel down was there was building work going on downstairs and the noise carried through to the conference room. The workman was told on number outs occasions that they had to stop but carried on throughout the day.

1 Thank Beccystidds
Bodmin, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 1, 2013

After our recent stay for a night in Exeter, we choose to stay at The Devon Hotel, and we couldn't of been happier, the Hotel from the time of checking in to checking out was superb!!!, We had a carvery meal in the restaurant before we checked in, and can honestly say it was divine, we could have been in a top restaurant in the world and the value for money was superb. The staff were super friendly and any request we had was no trouble at all. Our room was lovely and had and outside door where we parked our car so no long walking with our bags, the bed was super comfy and we had an awesome nights sleep, my wife wanted to keep the bed :), breakfast was also brilliant, so much choice and quality food for a hot buffet, This hotel was 5* treatment at 3* prices, well done Brend hotels 100% as usual :)

Room Tip: Pick a room on the ground floor with a door to access outside, you can park your car so close to you...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Partini B
Perranporth, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 25, 2013

I have used this hotel many times on business trips to Exeter. The staff are friendly and helpful. The breakfast is self serve and offers a very wide range to suit all tastes. The location is very convenient as a stopover between the south west and the rest of England and is very easy to find. I find it very convenient to visit the quarterly antique fairs at the cattle market just a stones throw away. If you need to visit the city of Exeter the park and ride facility is located nearby and avoids the serious parking problems in the city.
They offer very good rates and have lots of single rooms which although small are very well laid out with plenty of table top space to work on a laptop. I particularly like their flexibility on their room rates if you book direct.

Room Tip: Book a room at the back of the hotel with country views to avoid being disturbed by passing traffic.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Jessie R
Redruth, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 23, 2013 via mobile

I was working in a nearby office for a week so this hotel was ideally placed. The staff were courteous and helpful and the service was excellent. I stayed in one of the external rooms that faced the main road, yet the noise was imperceptible.
The food was excellent - you had free choice of which breakfast items you wanted and it was all cooked well. Restaurant was rather expensive - but lovely food - especially the carvery!

3 Thank RoseCottageHalt
Reviewed February 16, 2013

We had a double room with a radiator that was on full and couldn't turn off so we were upgraded to a lovely large family room.

Menu was changed on our second night but when we said we didn't like what was on the new menu we were allowed to have from the old one.

Considering we paid £94 each for a 2 night dinner bed and breakfast break it was exceptionally good value and the staff were amazing!

1 Thank KAHayes77