“"The MOST Friendliest of Welcomes and the MOST comfortable mattress!"”

Woodbine Guest Accommodation
Ranked #7 of 68 Exeter B&B and Inns
Reviewed October 15, 2012

I was delighted by my stay at the "Woodbine" and especially at how conveniently placed it was to the town center and University. I was relieved to find such a genuine warm and caring owner on my first visit, for a Practitioners Course in Exeter, which will demand of me frequent stay in Exeter. The owner made me feel 'right at home', always greeting me with a smile and making sure that everything was to my satisfaction. The beds are memory foam, super comfortable and especially good for bad backs! I stayed in two different rooms in my first week, and along with en-suite and bathroom were immaculately clean and tidy. The bedrooms had a really cosy feel to them as some hotels/guesthouses can feel clinical. Good WiFi. Flat screen T.Vs. The breakfast room was lovely and the breakfast too, which was served on time! I thought I would feel lonely away from home, but having such a great rapport with the owner, who also has a really good sense of humor, I haven't felt lonely at all! I had no problems with booking in or understanding the website. Consequently, I have pre-booked my stay for the next 6 months, which I think speaks for it self...

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo

Reviewed October 13, 2012

I stayed here 8 nights when I first moved to Exeter. It has a great location, accessible to local bus lines, close to train stations, high street, shopping and dining places. It is about 15 min walk to both Streatham and St. Luke's campuses. The rooms are efficiently designed and comfortable. As stated on the website, there is a private bathroom for the single room down in the hall. If you don't mind taking a few steps down to access bathroom, it is a large, modern, nice bathroom with the bathtub and shower. As a whole, this B&B is very clean, neat, warm, and feels like home. I enjoyed the breakfast with extra things like fruit salad with yoghourt, orange juice, cereals, milk and so on. The owner was very welcoming and helpful when I had questions about the city, transportation etc. Overall it's been a great stay at this B&B.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed October 10, 2012

I have used the Woodbine on a number of occasions when working at Exeter University. It is always nice to stay there, always friendly and welcoming, the WiFi works whichever room you are in, it is located perfectly between the city centre and Uni, the rooms are comfortable and clean, and the breakfast is always spot on. If I could give it 6 dots I would.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Steve B
Reviewed October 5, 2012

I visit Exeter on a regular basis and have always found their owners to be friendly and welcoming.
This was not the case at Woodbine Guest House.
I arrived at 3.15 and whilst I knew that entry could not be effected before 5pm the website said that luggage could be left prior to this. However when I I arrived there was a notice on the locked porch stating that luggage can only be left by prior appointment.
When I got into the guest house at approx. 5pm I was immediately asked for payment in full.
When I said that I had already paid in full by Credit Card I was informed that this merely confirmed my booking and furthermore if I paid by Credit Card it would incur a premium .
Having paid by Debit Card I was immediatly handed a form where I had to state exactly what
I wanted for breakfast and exactly what time between 7am and 8.30 am I would be taking it.
When I said it spoke of 10 am on the Website I was told that was when I had to be out.
There was a large book of dos and donts, mostly donts.
The radiator was turned off.
I shall return to Exeter but not Woodbine Guest House

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Leslie P
Kiran64, Owner at Woodbine Guest Accommodation, responded to this reviewResponded October 11, 2012

What this guest has written is totally unacceptable for me.
I have run this B&B for nearly 8 years now, and although from time to time the website is updated, the major contents regarding the description, information and Terms & Conditions have never changed. The breakfast has always been served at the same hours as mentioned and in the same fashion, i.e. with the requests filled out on the previous night with a rough indication of time so that each breakfast can be prepared accordingly just prior to the time, thus keeping it fresh and the guest not having to wait too long.
Also, the arrival/departure times have remained the same. Opening times are clearly displayed on the booking page as well. The clear note regarding the left luggage has also been understood by him, to the contrary.
Further, our booking system only issues a reservation number and not a receipt of payment, purely because it is not a payment system. The payment is done manually. Upon their arrival, all the guests who have reserved only 1 night’s stay are informed, that the bill has not been settled.
As this person claims I did not, demand a payment in full on his arrival. He paid after settling down and on his way out to dinner – I have proof of time on the transaction receipt.
I am glad that he has penned his grudges and by doing so has clearly displayed, that the issue lies with him for not being able to comprehend the contents of my website.
Having served thousands of guests over these years, I have never encountered a guest who has confused the time for check-out with the breakfast one. All the information is written in plain English.
Hence, I can only conclude that here, the problem is one of the language or misinterpretation.
Lots of people have stayed whose mother tongue is not English.
And therefore, I cannot be held responsible for someone’s command/ability of language or even not reading the contents at all, whichever the case may be.
What he does not write, is that upon entering the house, how aggressively he asked to view the room he would be occupying. Clearly he was not very happy about ‘something’ as the front door opened! He even ignored my farewell on his departure as he picked up his left luggage late afternoon.

Reviewed September 10, 2012

Thie B and B is in a great location, close to train stations etc. it is lovely and clean, very comfortable bed. The host is very helpfull and friendly. She recommended the Indian resteraunt next door which was fantastic. Breakfast was fine, nice scrambled eggs.

Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed August 3, 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed here for 2 nights. The host was very pleasant and helpful. We stayed in the Wisteria room which was clean and a good size to move around and fit our luggage. The location worked well for us as we arrived from St. David's station and had only a 10 minute walk, and it is also within a 10 minute or less (depending on your own speed) of the central area where the cathedral and other attractions are. There are also many restaurants closer but we usually walked back into town. There is a park space next door that we didn't use in our short stayed but walked by and it looked like a nice place to relax and read. I would definitely recommend this B&B.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank McFetter
Reviewed May 23, 2012

I was staying at Woodbine Guesthouse for one night during a vacation in southwest England. It was raining so we took a taxi from the St. Davids train station (which was quite cheap, about 5 pounds). The landlady was already waiting for us and was very nice. The room was lovely and clean with a very nice bathroom. The breakfast was very good and the fruit salad was a very nice surprise (with strawberries and grapes). Would definitely reccomend.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple