All reviews fudge beer garden the pub cellar bar complimentary port mary arches boutique hotel sky tv nespresso machine mini bar multi storey high street great bathroom next morning no lift little touches central location
Selected filters
Reviewed 5 weeks ago via mobile

This is a small hotel which doesn't have any on site parking, you have to park in the multi storey on the other side of the road, which is not very convenient. The decor of the hotel is very nice, the rooms stylishly decorated. We were a bit taken aback by how small the rooms were. When I saw the bathroom, my jaw literally dropped. How they got planning permission, I have no idea. This is literally the most minute bathroom I've ever seen. The basin is right under your nose when you are sitting on the loo. You can't bend over at the basin as the wall behind is too close! I grazed my back on the corner of the wall when I turned round. Absolutely absurd and very inconvenient. I was also kept awake by music from downstairs and the people in the room on the other her side endlessly slamming their door. Overall not a good experience, will not return.

Reviewed September 13, 2019 via mobile

There’s nothing much to say about this place other than the food is phenomenally tasty and it has a wonderful atmosphere with really great decor. Staff were also very attentive and friendly. Great job!

Date of stay: September 2019
City Gate E, Receptionist at The City Gate Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Good Morning felix_summers94,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review of your recent visit to the City Gate. We really appreciate your lovely comments about our team and are so happy to hear you enjoyed our yummy food!

Our menu changes every few months, so we hope to see you again to try out something new :)

Have a lovely day.

Kind regards,
Nicola
Reception
citygate@youngs.co.uk

Reviewed September 8, 2019 via mobile

What a little gem of a hotel, lots of good finishing touches in a great location. Excellent service with friendly staff who make you feel very welcome. Great food, good wine and beer selection. Nothing is too much trouble, would definitely recommend.

Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Jade G, Manager at The City Gate Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 9, 2019

Hello SharonA870,

I hope you are well and enjoyed your weekend.

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave such a lovely review, I will ensure this is passed on to our team.

We do hope that you visit us again the next time you are in Exeter.

Have a lovely day.

Jade
DGM

Reviewed August 14, 2019

We came here and enjoyed the food and staff! Its easy to get to from the high street and has a very nice garden thats perfect for the sunny weather. We didnt have a room here for the night but would be happy to come back some other day.

Date of stay: July 2019
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Jade G, Manager at The City Gate Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 16, 2019

Hello Amypks,

I hope you are well.

Thank you so much for taking the time to review your recent visit to the City Gate!

Our customers love our Secret Garden and yes it is perfect in the sunny weather - when we eventually get some.

I hope next time you visit Exeter you will stay in one of our Boutique bedrooms.

Have a lovely weekend and we hope to see you soon.

Kind Regards

Jade
DGM

Reviewed July 31, 2019 via mobile

Such beautiful rooms! Definitely the nicest and most relaxed place to stay in Exeter!! Very nice to receive such a warm welcome, me and partner will definitely always book here when we come to Exeter.
Lovely staff, as always..! Thank you Nicola and Jade ♥️

Date of stay: July 2019
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
City Gate E, Receptionist at The City Gate Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 4, 2019

Good Morning Kate,

Hope you had a lovely weekend!

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave such a lovely review of your recent stay, we really appreciate your feedback :)

We're so glad to hear you enjoyed your stay and got to relax during your visit to Exeter. We loved having you here and look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Kind regards,