“Value for money and very very clean”

Dunmore Guest House
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Exeter
Dunmore Guest House
Ranked #62 of 74 Exeter B&B and Inns
east anglia
“Value for money and very very clean”
Reviewed January 28, 2007

I have stayed in this B & B several times over the past 18 months and you must remember that this is a B & B and not a 4 or 5 star hotel.

The cost to stay here (for 2) including cooked breakfast is about a third of a 4 or 5 star hotel

I have always been given a warm friendly welcome both by the owner and the manager.

Walking distance of the city and university (but its uphill) - 7 mins drive from Dunmore to the university (door to door)

Starting with the rooms - all rooms are exceptionally clean with basic tea/coffee facility, tv and additional lighting (I find it difficult to read in some hotels but the lighting here is good and I have found that I can read in this B& B). Some rooms are en-suite (again very clean). I think most of the rooms are colour co-orindinated (curtains and bedlinen of the same colour). All the rooms I have stayed in the bed linen and towels have been fresh and clean.

The beds (this is difficult because different people like different types of beds and its a very personal thing). I found that rooms 9 and 3 had the best beds for me.

Towels soft and clean. I have always been given shampoo, conditioner and body wash (you wont get that in the Travel Lodge). I showered early morning and again before going out for dinner and had loads of hot water.

Heating ..I've found that the room temperature was a little too warm for me so I turned down the heating (which I think runs all night (I stayed recently on the very windy day and night).

I slept well and woke to the smell of a wonderfuld cooked breakfast. I simply adore the cooked breakfast - hot, substantial and very filling. Unlimited tea, coffee and toast (I can last until dinnner!). There are also the normal range of cerals, juices, crossaints, fruit, yoghurts etc.

There are no off street parking facilities (you can park outside overnight and until about 11am free - traffic wardens about after that time) but if you need a permit one can be given for the length of your stay or alternatively use Howell Road long stay car park (if you have a room at the front you should be able to see your car).

The road can be fairly busy (early morning and rush hour) but unless you open the windows at the front you dont hear the noise. I think the windows are all double glazed. (I stayed in another place but couldnt slepp to due to the volume of traffic and noise).

I have stayed in many B & B's as well as top London hotels (some have been real disasters). I enjoy staying here - I personally think its very good value for money. Its comfortable and very clean. I feel I am very well looked after and will hopefull stay again soon. Thanks girls

Stayed January 2007
4 Thank eastangliantraveller

Families
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Solihull, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 27, 2006

I've pre-booked a Double room with en-suite for two-night stay over the phone, which was £50 per night. We arrived there in midday and were greeted by a middle-age woman who was interested in quickly trying to get us into the room. However, the room was very pleasant and spacious. After settling down and leaving our luggage in the hotel my partner and me went and visited the town. We returned in the evening and hoping a nice hot shower would soothe our foot from the exploring. My partner wanted to use the shower first therefore she went in and turned on the shower and adjusting to the appropriate temperature (doesn't take a rocket scientist to work it out). The en-suite itself was very cold. The shower did have hot water but it lasted for one minute and it turned cold. My partner was not impressed and could have caught a cold. We tried and tested it three times and it was the same. This was around 10:30pm and I knocked on the host’s door and a young girl (around 20 years old) opened and it looked like I awoke her from her sleep. I explained the situation to her and she said she needed to switch on the emergency hot water switch (which she did) and wait for ten minutes. I gave it twenty minutes and tried again, and it was no different result. I knocked on her door again and I woke her up the second time. I was vigilant in asking her to come over and inspect it. Indeed she acknowledged the problem and she told us (probably out of lack of experience and composure) that the previous lodgers in the same room reported the same problem. My partner and myself were clearly not impressed and she asked us to use the shared bathroom upstairs. We did request for a change to another en-suite room and she told us there were none available. Although reluctant, we had decided to use it and explain to her we were not happy because they knew the problem but failed to address it and still offered that room. I requested for an en-suite, which was a service I did not fully use. If anyone told us upon arrival then at least they were being honest. I told her I expected not to be charged fully for the double room with en-suite as the en-suite was not fully functional for its purpose and she said we will receive a 10% discount for both nights which was fair enough but she cannot make that decision and she will need to ring the host (who doesn’t live there) tomorrow morning to confirm.

Next morning, I tested it again and it was the same, hot water lasted for thirty seconds. We didn’t use the en-suite shower and we used the shared shower room upstairs. The young girl told us that she had arranged another en-suite room which me and my partner packed our belongings and moved up to the third floor and the new room was much smaller but we tested that the hot shower in the en-suite did work. The young lady said that the host have told her to charge us full price for yesterday’s double bedroom en-suite because they had accommodate us to another double bedroom en-suite today which really upset my partner and I because we felt the previous en-suite let us down. I told her it was unreasonable and she said she cannot make any decisions and she would ring her host and let me talk to her over the phone. I spoke to the host over the phone and she gave her reason (same as what the young lady told us), which I thought it was inappropriate, I had told her I would pay for the room but a Double room without the en-suite price of £44 (Their quoted Tariff price). She refused and threatened in calling the police, which I was disgusted in the manner I was treated. She tried to argue that she provided us with a family room, which was more costly. Although a nice gesture, I explained to her there is no point of having a family en-suite room if the family couldn’t get a decent hot shower from the en-suite. I told her straight that I pre-booked a Double room en-suite and expected it. She went on about telling me I was completely out of order for such a small problem in knocking on the host’s door and waking up the young lady while she was sleeping last night at 10:30pm. (I have no clue whether people in Exeter go to bed early?) I told her I had every right to do this because there are problems with the room then lodgers must speak to the host, and I would not had predicted the host is not in and irresponsibly left a young lady in charge who cannot make any decisions behind a closed door. I told her that the young lady tested it last night and it was not working and she repeated the excuses. Again, she was adamant to charge me full price for incomplete service and threatened to call the police if I did not pay full price of £50. At the end, I was really fed up with the conversation; I left £44 with the young lady. The young lady even dared to ask for £45, I told her you don’t make the decision in the hotel and why are you trying to rob an extra pound off me, she went all quiet. Being really furious, my partner and me got our luggage and walked out. If the host had been more reasonable I would had stayed there for the second night and pay £50 for the Double en-suite room with the working hot shower. The catastrophe made us missed our scheduled train to an arranged trip to Penzance and wasted valuable time in what was suppose to be a holiday turned into a nightmare because of an irresponsible host.

I really regret in staying in Dunmore Hotel.

14 Thank darkdark07

Travelers are raving about these Exeter hotels