“Magnificent and very welcoming!”
Review of Crown and Sceptre

Crown and Sceptre
Ranked #371 of 548 Restaurants in Exeter
Cuisines: Mediterranean, Seafood, Bar
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: We are a family run, friendly pub in the middle of beautiful Newton St Cyres. Situated on the main road from Exeter to Crediton we are really easy to find and have bus stops on our doorstep! We are passionate about good food especially fresh fish and all our food is homemade. We are proud of our well kept ales and keep a good wine list too. We have a streamside beer garden with kids play area. Simon and Madeleine look forward to welcoming you to The Crown and Sceptre.
Reviewed August 22, 2013 via mobile

Well this was found by accident. We originally arrived at the Beer Engine up the road but were greeted by rude and snooty staff who said they were fully booked even though there were free tables (and nobody sat on the ones that were booked).

We arrived here and were welcomed in to the bar while the landlord laid up a table for us and got straight on to organising our drinks.
The food was quick, hot and looked great. My friends said their steaks were the best they'd had, and my pork and chorizo hotpot was splendid!

The garden was nice, the selection and quality of ales great and the staff friendly.

We all agreed we would return again, shame we had to leave so abruptly when we realised our bus had turned up!

Will return again, thanks for looking after us!

7  Thank Stereoguy

Reviewed August 21, 2013

I visited with 3 friends, and we ate outside. Each of us had a pizza, which were wonderfully customisable, and a few drinks. The prices were excellent, and I would struggle to name a nicer environment for a dinner on a warm summer's evening. The service was swift and very friendly, and if you do visit, I would advise you to try the Aspalls cider on tap, which was just lovely. Highly recommended!

3  Thank 470Oscar369
Reviewed August 20, 2013

Really friendly staff and the drinks are great. I had a great evening here. I will come again with my friends.

1  Thank 1234fhl
Reviewed August 6, 2013

The first time we visited the Crown And Sceptre was in Easter 2007,when my eldest daughter was under two and youngest was not even born. Back then, the landlord was Richard, and I gave it glowing reviews, it is now run by Simon and his wife Madelaine, and it is even better than before.

I cannot compliment this fantastic English village pub enough. Set in the picture postcard Devon village of Newton St Cyres, visually it is what you expect a village pub to be - rustic with a thatched roof. Inside, the welcome is as warm as toast. We ate there for all three of our first three nights in Exeter, and the food and hospitality to my wife, myself and two young daughters was everything that is great about England. I had the rump steak, with fresh chips, onion rings and trimmings. My wife had the gammon, and because there was nothing on the menu that my daughters liked, Simon offered to have their chef do them a fresh pizza, even though it was not even on the menu, that is what I call going the extra mile. The food was first class, and all of us had empty plates at the end of it. another night, I opted for one of their pies, and the steak pieces just melted in your mouth.

They have an excellent choice of real ales, and I opted for Otter Bitter ( lovely, but not as good as Ottter Ale ). During our meal, Simon not only came out to enquire if the food was to our liking, but to have a friendly chat to us - typical of the friendliness of Devon people. Outside, they have a great beer garden and play area for kids, that my girls loved. I cannot recommend this fantastic English village pub enough, please visit it, you will not regret it. Ten out of ten.

3  Thank Salisbury67
Reviewed July 27, 2013

A massive thank you to everyone at the crown and sceptre! The food was great, the service was brilliant and the ales go down nicely! I can't explain how good the food is, there is such a big variety and it's all fantastic! A massive recommendation from me for this gem! Thanks again

3  Thank Bill9876