“Amateur”

The Bike Shed Theatre and Cocktail Bar
Ranked #18 of 123 things to do in Exeter
More attraction details
Owner description: Nestled at the end of an alley in the heart of Exeter, The Bike Shed Theatre is an award-winning performance space and cocktail bar. We make and present productions with and from some of the finest small-scale companies in the UK. Meanwhile, our bar extends a welcome before and after each show, as well as those who enjoy a midweek cocktail or a dance into the small hours. ‘An organisation crucial to the ecology of theatre in the UK’ THE GUARDIAN November 2015 ‘A refreshing break with tradition’ EXETER LIVING December 2015
Exeter, United Kingdom
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Amateur”
Reviewed May 25, 2013

I gave the Exeter BikeShed the benefit of the doubt after its dubious start a few years ago.

Two years on it's still embarrassingly amateur -so much so I actually felt embarrassed exerting my consumer rights, early in 2013, when I challenged the naive staff. had checked online, and in print, the price of £5 per person for the play I wished to see. I turned up at the Bike Shed to be told the price was £7. I believed I had made a mistake. I paid the £7. Before the performance I visited the restrooms and on the back of the door was blurb about this play and a price. The price was £5 per person - the amount I had originally expected to pay. I pulled the BikeShed's own marketing off of their own toilet door and took it to their counter. Did I receive a £2 refund without fight or an apology or an acknowledgement that this was a terrible mistake on their part?

What a waste of all our time.

e

Visited February 2013
2 Thank Emily B

common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Awesome bar and theatre!!!”
Reviewed May 23, 2013

My favourite bar in Exeter, with its own unique style and chilled out atmosphere. The bar is also a cafe in the day time selling delicious freshly made soups and frittata all made with local ingredients by Jonny (the chef). The theatre offers an intimate experience given its size and I have seen a number of excellent performances there. I also love that you get to chat with the actors and actresses in the bar after the show. Exeter is so lucky to have this place. If your visiting Exeter then a visit to the Bike Shed is a must!

Visited May 2013
1 Thank Barmonkee
Ottery St. Mary, United Kingdom
416 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 298 helpful votes
“WHAT'S BEHIND THE BIKE SHED”
Reviewed May 9, 2013

The Bike Shed Theatre is one of the unique spots in Exeter – and, to do a Jezza Clarkson - in the World! The intimate cellar setting of the theatre makes for a close relationship between performers and audience. The performances are normally by experimental touring companies that fully deserve your support. The bar is anachronistic with quirky seating and contents – excellent for just meeting up with friends if you don’t fancy a show.

Visited April 2013
Exeter, United Kingdom
66 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 108 helpful votes
“first time delight!”
Reviewed April 26, 2013

Although it has been open for a few years, tried it for the first time tonight. Brought back memories of Mad Megs but was delighted, great pre theatre food with bread to die for. The play, a black comedy, The Incomers was brilliant, just brilliant...great bar staff and a good selection of drinks in a great ambiance ...Will be back again and again ...you must try it!

Visited April 2013
2 Thank Wallywelling
London, England, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“A unique gem”
Reviewed April 23, 2013

The Bike Shed is a gem in the South West. Not only a great place for theatre and the arts to thrive but a top little hang out for those seeking something different. A must visit and experience, you wont be dissapointed.

Visited January 2013