“Quality Ingredients shine through”

Froginwell Vineyard & Cider Barn
Ranked #174 of 546 Restaurants in Exeter
Cuisines: Cafe
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Wedding and Events Venue. A beautiful adaptable space with a warm friendly atmosphere where guests feel instantly at ease.
Reviewed October 13, 2013

I recently visited The Froginwell for an early lunch with a friend; neither of us had been before & so we weren't sure what to expect. I thought the sign outside saying 'come inside for a warm welcome' was a nice touch. Inside the barn is pretty cavernous with part of it given over to tables & part of it to the shop. All the lovely wood, the attractive decoration, the bits & pieces on display & for sale & the huge log burner all help to draw the rather large space together.

As for the food, it was first class, we both chose the cooked breakfast and the quality of the ingredients was obvious & everything we had was delicious. Everything is sourced locally which is a big plus. I also had a berry tea, it was loose leaf & served in a lovely teapot & china cup which was a really nice touch.

I would have given the whold experience 5 stars (the food certainly was) had it not been for the fact we were a little lost as to whether to take a table or wait to be seated when we first arrived & despite there being a waitress behind the counter we had to ask (would have been nice to be greeted & advised what to do). Judging by other reviews maybe this was a one off. Also at the corner table we chose we couldn't see the specials board & didn't realise it was there until we were leaving :( Maybe an idea to ask customers if they've seen the specials board before they order? That said our waitress was very polite & I will definitely visit again.

1  Thank vwhappiness
Froginwell, Owner at Froginwell Vineyard & Cider Barn, responded to this reviewResponded October 16, 2013

Hello there - many thanks for your kind words and I'm really glad you enjoyed your visit. I have taken note of your comments and from now on we will advise people re sitting at a table and also pointing out the specials board. It is too easy to forget that things are not obvious when you are here all the time if you know what I mean :)!
Many thanks, Kate

Reviewed October 10, 2013

My partner and I went to Devon on business this week 9/10 and decided to try the Froginwell vineyard after checking out trip advisor. Whilst driving to the vineyard we got lost so arrived just before 4pm, they had started to clean up and close down for the day so we didn’t know if we should go in or not. We are both really glad we did, we had a warm welcome and the team offered us sandwiches, cake and coffee without hesitation, we want a little more as we had a long day so declined, but it was really nice they cared. The manager explained the cider to us and gave us a sample to try which we purchased because it was amazing, the shop is spotless and all the jams and gifts well presented, I hope next time we will be able to eat. Well done x

2  Thank lou12345Bournemouth
Reviewed August 29, 2013

We recently visited this lovely venue,with vines in the garden field. What a delightful place,quiet,peaceful,oak framed barn setting. We had a delightful all day breakfast,the best we have had in a long while. Looking forward to our next visit, when we will be tasting the cream tea, the scones looked lovely,home made strawberry jam,tea made with real tea leaves and a proper china tea cups.
Can't wait until our next visit.

1  Thank holiday551673
Reviewed July 15, 2013

I have been to Froginwell several times at different times as well and every time has been a good time. I have just heard that they have just won the Radio Devon award for the best cream tea in Devon - a worthy winner and congratulations to all. The friendly, helpful approach all add up to a good experience in a setting that is just gorgeous.

2  Thank animalmagicDevon
Reviewed July 1, 2013

Lovely venue, staff very friendly and food awesome. The cream teas were excellent, made even more special by the scones! We also had lunch there and the food was great, all freshly prepared and flavoursome. We had the gumbo and the duck salad.

A great venue and family friendly.

We also bought some their own cider which I now confirm is very nice especially served cold!

1  Thank Sulshy