“Bustling French styled bistro with great food and atmosphere!”

Cote Brasserie - Exeter
Ranked #13 of 535 Restaurants in Exeter
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Our inspiration for the food and design of Cote is a modern interpretation of the many famous bistros of Paris. Inspired by new trends, we are dedicated to serving authentic classic brasserie dishes with a modern twist, using high quality produce at great prices. On the menu, guests will always find brasserie favourites on our a la carte menu such as steak frites, moules marinieres, corn-fed chicken from rural Brittany and tuna Nicoise, for dessert, Cote's creme caramel and creme brulee are much-loved house specialities. Seasonality and Cote's commitment to sourcing high-quality ingredients results in a monthly changing specials menu, ensuring there is always something new to delight regular guests and gastronomes alike, as well as the excellent value set menu. Open early every day for breakfast, through to lunch and dinner; Cote's atmosphere is informal and friendly.
“Bustling French styled bistro with great food and atmosphere!”
Reviewed March 13, 2013 via mobile

This was our second visit to Cote in Exeter, (Already a fan of the Bristol namesake) and on a freezing cold, Monday lunchtime there is nothing nicer than stepping in to Cote to rest your legs, lap up the ambience and enjoy some excellent French cuisine. We chose to go with the 2 course set menu for £9.95 and were pleasantly surprised with our eggs Benedict and sardine starter, full of flavour and small enough not to overfill you at lunch. For mains we went for the coq au vin, and two minute steaks, all of which were delicious and the steaks were even rare which is a good achievement for such thin steaks, so many places get this wrong!!

Overall I have visited cote 5 times in both Bristol and Exeter and everytime I have thoroughly enjoyed the food and atmosphere. I would highly recommend this restaurant to anyone, they have got the combination of value, quality and style off to a tee!!

• Greek first
  • Polish first
Exeter, United Kingdom
“All fur coat and no pants”
Reviewed March 9, 2013

For all its pretentions to French bistro, Cote was a crushing disappointment.

Spinach and mushroom crepes - underseasoned and devoid of any flavour. The gruyere absent, three (maybe four) sorry looking small pieces of mushroom, a gigantic mass of wet spinach in undercooked pancakes.

Ratatouille and goats cheese tart - your typical, hackneyed vegetarian-option-by-numbers, so half-a**** it could have come straight out of your nearest Harvester. A square of puff pastry, a bit of courgette, pepper, a smattering of cheese.

A side portion of a few (and it really is a few) fries dumb-waitered in from McDonalds down the high street. Yours for £3.

Dessert - a chocolate pot so plain and paltry you find yourself doubly-soured by the mass of creme fraiche (dig deep, there is chocolate down there somewhere) and by the realisation you got roped in by this parisian pastiche.

Service was disinterested (and why when there were a few spare tables were we cramped in next to the cash register?!). When we politely mentioned we were a little disappointed, no interest in why or in taking any corrective steps from the waitress. The coup de grace to a rather miserable dining experience.

• Visited March 2013
2 Thank Hunting_bears
London, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Highly recommend it !!”
Reviewed March 6, 2013

I've only been to this restaurant once. I travel around a lot and that gives me the opportunity to try and visit restaurants all over the country. After spending a couple of days in exeter my colleagues and I decided to give this restaurant a go! And see what all the fuss was about! Luckily we've booked a table for the four of us. It was a busy Saturday night.
The manager greeted us as soon as we walked in even though there was a queue he seemed in control and not only making sure the guests that were arriving were happy but also helping out his team as much as possible.
After being told that our table was going to be ready very shortly (we didn't mind waiting a couple of minutes as we were given some complimentary drinks!) we were shown to our table. The service efficient and friendly. The food to die for! I've had the fillet steak with the garlic butter it was cooked to perfection! Unfortunately a customer who was sitting pretty close to us started to cough and not feeling well at all. He was having a heart attack. We were all very concerned at this point. An ambulance was called and the same manager as the one that greeted us was dealing with this situation from the moment it happened until the moment he was actually carried out of the restaurant and was taken to the hospital. We were blown away.
Amazing Dinning experience. I'll definitely be back one day.

1 Thank stevenM7890
Bath, United Kingdom
“Christmas cheer”
Reviewed March 4, 2013

We visited Cote after selecting online and it lived up to being a treat. However, it was a little pricey, but you get what you pay for. Excellent service. Perhaps could have been a better atmosphere... but at lunchtime it wasn't so busy. Worth a visit.

Visited December 2012
London, United Kingdom
“Seriously Overrated”
Reviewed March 4, 2013

I wanted to like this place. And in fact I visited Exeter, staying overnight in a hotel, to see what the fuss was all about!

Booked by phone for 1900 on a Saturday night. Still had to queue with a dozen other people standing over people trying to enjoy their meal. We were eventually led upstairs to a very noisy room that was more or less full. And it is NOISY. Maybe it was a one off but it reminded me of a works christmas dinner at which everyone is shouting at each other across tables.

The manager, a nervous young lad who was visibly sweating, sat us on a little table in the corner by the cash register. The ambient light was so poor that we could barely read the menu. I ordered a bottle of Sancerre and was immediately told that it was not available but we could have the 'pink' sancerre instead. Really? Do I look like a woman on a hen night? I also ordered a bottle of still mineral water to share.' It's ok', the waitress, replied. 'We have complimentary filter water'. I reluctantly agreed and was a bit disturbed when it arrived in what looked like european beer bottles( Reseable stopper, like a Grolsch bottle yes...). How long had they been standing there? How do they clean the bottles? Not good.

Sancerre blanc was eventually found but had not been chilled so we were off to a bad start already. I decided to opt for the specials and my guest chose the Ribeye with roquefort butter. The waitress seemed confused when we ordered only one starter( a passable Boudin Noir). It almost seemed if she was taking the side of my guest, who did not want a starter as we had had a big lunch, and trying to convince me to order another starter. And no I do not require garlic bread but a little artisan roll with some french butter would have been nice. Especially if it was complimentary!

My main was Skate. It was served without any side dish. When I queried this the waitress went away to talk to the manager. She returned to tell me that it was the chef's decision to serve the fish without any vegetables but the salat vert that my guest had ordered would now be complimentary? That makes sense! The Skate itself was smothered with olive oil. The ribeye was nearly cold and not properly seasoned. The roquefort butter was straight from the fridge. My guest was not happy.

As we were both still very hungry we ordered coffee and desert. The waitress asked if we wanted another bottle of Sancerre. Um...probably not! The coffee was ok but the Creme Brulee was again stone cold, in little ramekins and i'm guessing straight from the fridge. They also took an age to arrive. Were they hoping that we would get bored and order some more wine?

In conclusion this restaurant was an unprecedented dissappointment and we were regretting not having gone to Michael Caines just down the road. It felt to me a bit like a fast food restaurant. I might, however, sneak back in the daytime to try their weekday special Poulet Breton. How can anyone mess that up?

• Visited March 2013