“Highly recommend it !!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Cote Brasserie - Exeter

Cote Brasserie - Exeter
Ranked #11 of 514 Restaurants in Exeter
Cuisines: French, European
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic, Large groups, Families with children, Scenic view, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Brunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Our inspiration for the food and design of Cote is a modern interpretation of the many famous bistros of Paris. Inspired by new trends, we are dedicated to serving authentic classic brasserie dishes with a modern twist, using high quality produce at great prices. On the menu, guests will always find brasserie favourites on our a la carte menu such as steak frites, moules marinieres, corn-fed chicken from rural Brittany and tuna Nicoise, for dessert, Cote's creme caramel and creme brulee are much-loved house specialities. Seasonality and Cote's commitment to sourcing high-quality ingredients results in a monthly changing specials menu, ensuring there is always something new to delight regular guests and gastronomes alike, as well as the excellent value set menu. Open early every day for breakfast, through to lunch and dinner; Cote's atmosphere is informal and friendly.
London, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Highly recommend it !!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 6, 2013

I've only been to this restaurant once. I travel around a lot and that gives me the opportunity to try and visit restaurants all over the country. After spending a couple of days in exeter my colleagues and I decided to give this restaurant a go! And see what all the fuss was about! Luckily we've booked a table for the four of us. It was a busy Saturday night.
The manager greeted us as soon as we walked in even though there was a queue he seemed in control and not only making sure the guests that were arriving were happy but also helping out his team as much as possible.
After being told that our table was going to be ready very shortly (we didn't mind waiting a couple of minutes as we were given some complimentary drinks!) we were shown to our table. The service efficient and friendly. The food to die for! I've had the fillet steak with the garlic butter it was cooked to perfection! Unfortunately a customer who was sitting pretty close to us started to cough and not feeling well at all. He was having a heart attack. We were all very concerned at this point. An ambulance was called and the same manager as the one that greeted us was dealing with this situation from the moment it happened until the moment he was actually carried out of the restaurant and was taken to the hospital. We were blown away.
Amazing Dinning experience. I'll definitely be back one day.

1 Thank stevenM7890

• Greek first
  • Polish first
Bath, United Kingdom
“Christmas cheer”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2013

We visited Cote after selecting online and it lived up to being a treat. However, it was a little pricey, but you get what you pay for. Excellent service. Perhaps could have been a better atmosphere... but at lunchtime it wasn't so busy. Worth a visit.

Visited December 2012
London, United Kingdom
“Seriously Overrated”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2013

I wanted to like this place. And in fact I visited Exeter, staying overnight in a hotel, to see what the fuss was all about!

Booked by phone for 1900 on a Saturday night. Still had to queue with a dozen other people standing over people trying to enjoy their meal. We were eventually led upstairs to a very noisy room that was more or less full. And it is NOISY. Maybe it was a one off but it reminded me of a works christmas dinner at which everyone is shouting at each other across tables.

The manager, a nervous young lad who was visibly sweating, sat us on a little table in the corner by the cash register. The ambient light was so poor that we could barely read the menu. I ordered a bottle of Sancerre and was immediately told that it was not available but we could have the 'pink' sancerre instead. Really? Do I look like a woman on a hen night? I also ordered a bottle of still mineral water to share.' It's ok', the waitress, replied. 'We have complimentary filter water'. I reluctantly agreed and was a bit disturbed when it arrived in what looked like european beer bottles( Reseable stopper, like a Grolsch bottle yes...). How long had they been standing there? How do they clean the bottles? Not good.

Sancerre blanc was eventually found but had not been chilled so we were off to a bad start already. I decided to opt for the specials and my guest chose the Ribeye with roquefort butter. The waitress seemed confused when we ordered only one starter( a passable Boudin Noir). It almost seemed if she was taking the side of my guest, who did not want a starter as we had had a big lunch, and trying to convince me to order another starter. And no I do not require garlic bread but a little artisan roll with some french butter would have been nice. Especially if it was complimentary!

My main was Skate. It was served without any side dish. When I queried this the waitress went away to talk to the manager. She returned to tell me that it was the chef's decision to serve the fish without any vegetables but the salat vert that my guest had ordered would now be complimentary? That makes sense! The Skate itself was smothered with olive oil. The ribeye was nearly cold and not properly seasoned. The roquefort butter was straight from the fridge. My guest was not happy.

As we were both still very hungry we ordered coffee and desert. The waitress asked if we wanted another bottle of Sancerre. Um...probably not! The coffee was ok but the Creme Brulee was again stone cold, in little ramekins and i'm guessing straight from the fridge. They also took an age to arrive. Were they hoping that we would get bored and order some more wine?

In conclusion this restaurant was an unprecedented dissappointment and we were regretting not having gone to Michael Caines just down the road. It felt to me a bit like a fast food restaurant. I might, however, sneak back in the daytime to try their weekday special Poulet Breton. How can anyone mess that up?

• Visited March 2013
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank SleeplessTroll
Plymouth, England, United Kingdom
“Watch the service charge!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2013

We had a 'daily special' one course £9.95, eac. IT was delicious and was very busy. They automatically add a 12% service charge. SO if you dont want to pay it - ask for it to be removed. Out tip equated to nearly £7 - which was more than we would have chosen to give.

A lovely position overlooking Exeter Cathedral. Mixed age group, quite small but welcoming. Would visit again.

• Visited March 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Exeter, United Kingdom
“Best restaurant in Exeter I know of”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2013

My girlfriend and I turned up without a reservation one night last year and immediately got a nice table in the main part of the restaurant. Our waitress was extremely friendly and made us feel very welcome immediately (this didn't seem forced or not genuine as so many places seem to be now). I ordered calamari to start and it was absolutely delicious - perfect. My fillet steak for main course was one of the best pieces of meat I've ever had in my life, cooked just right and with so much flavour. I ordered a side of Roquefort butter which gave a slight edge to it and it just melted into it so well. Lovely atmosphere in the restaurant, very personal and not over-bearing. The place was full and it looked like everyone was enjoying themselves. Chocolate fondant for dessert was cooked perfectly and tasted even better than it looked. And when the bill came I was more than happy to pay that price as the experience was definitely worth it (and possibly a bit more too!) I've been telling everybody about this place. Brilliant location too. Can't wait until we go back.

• Visited December 2012