“I bring all my visitors”
Review of The Welcome Cafe

The Welcome Cafe
Ranked #29 of 527 Restaurants in Exeter
Cuisines: Cafe
Dining options: Breakfast
Description: The Welcome Cafe is a family run independent business serving locally sourced and home cooked food, with Vegan, Vegetarian and Gluten free options available. A modern cafe selling Art Work. With Fat Roc Coffee and Teas Me loose leaf tea. We are open 6 days a week Tuesday through to Sunday and only closed on a Monday, except for bank holiday's when we will be open. We have been struggling to change the opening times through trip advisor so hopefully this confirmation of our hours will help.
Exeter, United Kingdom
“I bring all my visitors”
Reviewed October 22, 2013

I love this place! They are so friendly and kind if you don't have the right change or if you show up with two babies and a giant pram, and take up half of their seating area. I am always looking for an excuse to go and bring everyone who visits me in Exeter. They do excellent cakes and treats, and their meals are simple but AMAZING. They always do lots of little touches that make the whole plate well-presented and extra tasty. I've had one of the best cream teas there (and I worked at a National Trust property in Cornwall!), and their apple ginger jam is a treat! And my one-year-old loves their pickle so much, she dives in with her hands. Highly recommended!

• Visited September 2013
4 Thank Aimee M

“a waterside cafe”
Reviewed October 10, 2013

We live across the river from this wonderful café. It is run by family members and is so welcoming. Not open on Sundays. The food is homemade with good choices. There is a blackboard full of food choices and a counter full of visual temptation................their cakes are excellent. However, I am a "savoury" person, and thoroughly enjoy everything I have there. They make a nifty cheese and ham warm croissant!

• Visited August 2013
2 Thank Girljade
“Not to be missed!”
Reviewed September 22, 2013

My husband and I have been going to the Welcome Café for the past year or so. It is a wonderfully quaint place with eclectic furnishings both inside and out. The food is of a high quality and what can I say about the service - extremely friendly, very efficient, jolly and lovely smiles from them all. The food is homemade and they serve all savoury food with a marvellous side salad which includes fruit and a homemade coleslaw. Their hot drinks come with a small meringue on the side which adds such a lovely touch. Roger makes this amazing jam which he now sells at a reasonable price! And sitting in the window looking across the canal is so relaxing and calming, I would go again just for that but we have the added bonus of being in such a fabulous establishment! This establishment is so versatile, both for families, pet owners, a meeting of friends or just a young or mature couple who are walking along the canal and stop for a cup of tea and a slice of cake!

• Visited August 2013
2 Thank r00m2
Exeter, United Kingdom
“Would really like to keep this cafe secret...”
Reviewed September 17, 2013

Just cycled down for a bacon baguette and coffee. Baguette came with allotment leaves, celeriac remoulade and a number of other seasonal homemade salads garnished with fruit. It was all lovely.

There are a range of wraps, quiches, things on toast and soup available as well as cakes and tray bakes and of course scones with homemade jam and cream. Hot drinks come with a tiny chewy homemade meringue. It is all lovely.

This former pub has been converted to a cafe by Roger who has a long track record of setting up successful cafes. His Lustleigh tearoom was famous and more recently he opened Roger's tea room on Exeter Quay. He moves on when the businesses get too popular so I hope noone reading this review will visit this wonderful cafe.

There is a courtyard garden at the rear and views over the river and canal from inside. The two rooms are full of mismatched furniture and squashy sofas and feels very relaxing.

I suspect we will become regulars now we are retired. Cafe closed Sunday and Monday.

Visited September 2013
2 Thank HazelRuth
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Wonderfully relaxing!”
Reviewed September 11, 2013

We have visited many times. Such a lovely relaxing café to pop in and enjoy the 'warmth' that oozes from this family run business. We sometimes eat, food is delicious, and other times have just a drink and enjoy the view across the canal. Always made welcome, if you wanted to chat you could and if like us you want to just have 'time-out' then this is definitely to place to come.

• Visited September 2013