“Nice hotel if a little pricey”

Hotel du Vin Exeter
Ranked #17 of 31 Hotels in Exeter
Aberystwyth, United Kingdom
“Nice hotel if a little pricey”
Reviewed September 5, 2013

Stayed for two nights after our wedding- hotel is well appointed and room was large and well fitted with complimentary mini bar, nice fittings etc, although we had a few problems with the air con, and couldn't open the window as the traffic noise was a bit high in the morning. Staff were attentive, and room service reasonably priced. We didn't make the most of the pool and spa treatments but the pool looked well set out. Breakfast was excellent, especially the black pudding and ham hock medley! Hotel in general was let down by a lack of car parking- which was partly attributed to the park being resurfaced the week we were staying, but even so, it didn't look big enough for a 60 room hotel. There is a public park next door though, but I thought after paying all we had done for the room, to be expected to pay £11 a day to park the car on top was a little much. Had a good bar meal there one night also, which was reasonable, although the Indian next door was great!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (254)
Blackheath, London
Reviewed September 4, 2013

Have stayed here 4 times now and In terms of bang for buck, I can't think of many better hotels I''ve stayed in in England. Beautifully decorated rooms with comfortable beds, great showers over the bath and large towels (why don't more hotels realise that about towel size!). Relaxed and very friendly staff, an excellent chef in the kitchen (which is guided by one of the country's finest chefs Simon Hopkinson no less) that turns out some really top class food. I cannot fault the place at all. I won't be surprised at all when I submit this review to go to the Tripadvisor page to find it ranked #1 in Exeter.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Kildonan, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 3, 2013

Just completed a stay at the Magdalen Chapter in Exeter and this hotel is hard to beat. I suspect a lot of thought has gone into developing this 1808 Eye Infirmary into the hotel it is today and it certainly meets the mark in just about all aspects. From the comfort of the rooms and the hi-tec facilities to the style of the dining room and the outdoor areas. The only disappointment was the lack of shelf space in the bathroom in our room. The staff are very friendly and extremely helpful when necessary. The kitchen was also on the ball with regards to the needs of the gluten free fraternity. This for me was a very nice place to relax and a place I would certainly return to.

1 Thank Peter L
Devon
Reviewed September 2, 2013

Booked one night and spa treatments the next day. Staff well trained and helpful. Not sure I like the casual uniform. Hotel very well appointed and modern. Room good size and the bed is sooo comfortable. Couldn't get the ipad (issued on arrival) to play music through the tv even following instructions but that wasn't important. There was quality and attention to detail throughout. Breakfast menu gave a wide choice - no-one would go hungry here.
My wife and I had 30 minute back massages (she has her own beauty salon) and she was happy with her massage. I was delighted with mine performed by "Mollie" who is very, very good at her job. When my wife and I compared our experiences it was clear that Mollie has been very well trained - deep massage including "no hands".
The indoor/outdoor pool is heated to a perfect temperature has no chlorine smell and I seemed to float much like I do in sea water - the indoor part is also a jacuzzi and is heated by a wood burner. The provision of quality showers, robes and towels at the pool make you feel pampered.
The garden area is a sun trap and quiet considering it is in the middle of a city. The indoor seating areas are luxurious and comfy. I love this place!!

Room Tip: Ours was good facing north on the second floor with a view of the cathedral in the distance but we h...
Morpeth, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 29, 2013

We booked to dinner for 2 at the Magdalen Chapter during a weekend break in Exeter. The building, an old eye hostpital, is rather curious from the outside. It has been restored into a chic hotel, but it has managed to retain numerous original features. On arrival we took a seat in the lounge and ordered a drink. We were then taken through to the restaurant; a modern addition to the old building with an open, casual/relaxed atmosphere. Our waitress, Rose, was absolutley outstanding. We could not have had a more pleasant young lady serve us. She was attentive, complimentary, polite and excellent at her job. The meal was also faultless; the rib-eye steak was cooked to perfection and extremely tender. I will definitely be returning the next time I am in the area.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Dublin
Reviewed August 27, 2013

I really enjoyed my trip to Exeter. The Magdalen Chapter is beautiful, and it was great to be greeted by the roaring fires in the reception area on the cold, wet miserable day I arrived. The iPad was a nice touch (and means you don't need to bring a charger for you own iPad or iPhone). It's a short walk to the central area of Exeter. Breakfast was great!

I felt the staff were rather sloppy however, and this was compounded by my experience at check out. A meal had been charged to my room, but not by me as I had been out all evening at a work-related event. I explained this to the receptionist who took it off my bill. I received 3 further phone-calls requesting payment, even after I rang a manager to clear the matter up! This left a rather bad taste on an otherwise brilliant stay.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
camberley uk
Reviewed August 27, 2013

The deluxe room was a reasonable size with a high roof and the old hospial windows giving an appearance of space. Stylishly decorated but no comfy chair, very little hanging space and no door on the bathroom. Not really deluxe. IPAD is fine if you can work them. Had trouble getting the music through the telvision initially. Docked it and checked connections and got there. Slept well.

Gardens were a disappointment. Basically a not well looked after lawn with deckchairs - expected more from the descriptions.

The in/out pool was ok but style over substance - cold in the indoor bit where more of your torso needed to be exposed to the draft from outside.

Cocktail bar was nice with a cool vibe, lounge was fine. I hated the design of the restaurant which seemed a bit like a seventies wimpy with hanging light balls. Starter and dessert were nice, cheese was good, steak was overpriced for the quality served. Breakfast was nice, particularly the day we ate outside.

It is on the inner ring road, not noisy with a ten minute walk into the town centre. It's a bit non descript.

Decent weekend overall.