“Enjoyable one night stay”

Hotel du Vin Exeter
Ranked #17 of 31 Hotels in Exeter
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Enjoyable one night stay”
Reviewed August 11, 2013

I enjoyed my stay here. The public areas of the hotel are really well done. The restaurant is light and airy but with a good atmosphere. It feel like somewhere you might want to go even if you weren't staying, which sertainly isn't the case with many hotel restaurants. There is a pleasant garden and terrace area where we enjoyed a glass of prosecco earlier in the evening. The pool is small but it we appreciated being able to use it on a warm evening. All of the staff that we encountered were great, very friendly and helpful. I had an issue with my food but this was dealt with in an exemplary manner and we thoroughly enjoyed our afternoon and evening here.

Unfortunately, even after having my meal sorted, the steak was really not very good. I was expecting better because the setting, staff etc lead you to believe that it's going to be great, and out starters were really tasty.

Our room, which was the standard room, was smaller than I would have hoped for the money but just about ok. We really needed a great night's sleep and asked for a quiet room and we got that. However, we still didn't sleep that well. The pillows were the absolute worst I have ever had in a hotel - either thin, lumpy or hard depending on which of the 4 you tried. The bed itself and the duvet were lovely so I don't know what went wrong there. Also, we only had roman blinds at the windows which let in a lot of light. On top of that, there are obscure glass windows between the bedroom and bathroom, so if your partner gets up for the loo in the night the whole room will be filled with light. Nobody thought that design feature through.

I should say that the air con really worked and was almost silent.

I would definitely consider returning to this hotel, but would much prefer to stay in one of the better rooms next time.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (254)
Cornwall
Reviewed August 11, 2013 via mobile

A group of 8 attended for Hen party. The brief was to be classy & that is what we got. Excellent value, friendly staff and very good afternoon tea, dinner & breakfast. The "in/out" pool was a bonus as we're the deck chairs in the lawn.
Despite being in an inner city location it was quiet. Previous reviewers talk about small rooms - yes the room wasn't massive but then you don't go away to sit in a room!
Also the parking was sparse luckily we parked at the front so no problem for us there. Though the public parking was next to the hotel.

• Stayed August 2013
Perth, Australia
Reviewed August 9, 2013

I came away from the Magdalan Chapter with mixed impressions. It is a modern use of an historic building and while the slick, new tech check in and hi tech rooms driven by the supplied iPad were fun (and efficient) there is a lack of "feel" for the more traditional services. My room was fine, everything worked and there is a small complimentary bar. Perhaps the room was a little on the small size but adequate for my overnight stay. The bar, guest lounge and external drinks area and restaurant are large and noisy and not much fun if you want a quiet or intimate time. However breakfast in the restaurant was well done with good service. There is limited free parking in front of the hotel so be early, cheeky or quick or head for the overflow public car park next door. It seems reasonably placed for other attractions and we found an excellent ristorante about ten minutes walk for an excellent dinner.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Essex
Reviewed August 8, 2013

We have stayed at a few hotels in Exeter when visiting our son at the Uni but have never pushed the boat out to stay here. We chose to stay on a one night deal, a little curious to see behind the rather grand exterior of this imposing building.
We were lucky to bag a parking space at the front of the hotel on arrival late afternoon on a Tuesday - there are just a few spaces but if you are unlucky there is a public car park nearby.
We knew the hotel would be contemporary in decor so were unsurprised at the minimalist feel on entering reception. However one aspect is really unusual. There is no standard reception desk but a receptionist located in the middle of a room, with a small laptop which is perched on the top of what looked a bit like a cone or acorn (maybe unusual art?). From here she checks you in and then escorts you to the room. We were on the second floor.
She explained there was a complimentary iPad to use, plus coffee maker etc and mood lights. The room was small and the wardrobe ridiculously so. It was fine for one night but would be annoyingly restricted if you were staying longer.
Mini bar with soft drinks, one lager and milk plus a chocolate bar was deemed free - although obviously you are paying for this in the price of your room.
Bathroom was very clean and quite adequate.
We did not eat in the restaurant in the evening as we had booked elsewhere but we did enjoy a full English breakfast the next morning which was nicely cooked and presented.
The hotel has what it calls an in/out pool. We took a look at the outside of the pool and it was small but would have been fine for a quick dip. We did not visit the spa.
Overall impressions of this hotel are that it is more suited to businessmen. We thought it a shame that a building of such character had become a rather soulless place. Yes, original fireplaces have been left in some rooms but these really clash with the new style. I think the old place deserved some warmth being put back into it.
If you like minimalism, without much to look at, chances are you will love this place. However if you like a feeling of comfort and indulgence this is not the place for you. We know plenty of other hotels in the area which satisfy our needs much better, at a cheaper price.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor at the back of the building.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank GailOEssex
Newbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 8, 2013 via mobile

The staff were very friendly, rooms well spec,d , breakfast & dinner wonderful. The art both on the walls & in the furniture was great. We had a wonderful morning in the in/out pool was fab.
The only down side I could see was the hotel wasn't,t very clean. Room needed a good clean & halls needed a clean & Hoover. I went down to breakfast, housekeeping was hoovering the hallway. On my return they had gone but floor looked just as bad. Hopefully this will be picked up on as the heading says "great hotel" & yes I will stay again.

• Stayed August 2013
Liverpool
Reviewed August 8, 2013

I stayed in this hotel last year, not long after it opened. At the time, my view was that - potentially - it could be a really excellent place (great building, decent food, good rates and prime location) but was let down by a number of small, but irritating, teething problems mainly relating to an apparent belief that the friendliness of the staff would more than compensate for a lack of effective management oversight. These views were, I noticed, reiterated by others on the site.

I'm delighted to say that on a recent visit, things have got much better. Without exception, staff went out of their way to be helpful and to sort out issues promptly and efficiently (e.g. we were moved from one room without a bath to another with one with the minimum of fuss; a main course was replaced speedily and with apologies). I also noticed that, notwithstanding the place has only been opened for a year or so, minor refurbishment was under way.In addition, I spotted what I assumed was the senior management doing a walkabout one morning and clearly scrutinising the fabric of the building and performance of staff. Both of these things are, in my opinion, very good signs.

My one remaining gripe relates to parking. Last year, the hotel allowed you to unload directly outside the hotel but only Blue Badge holders were allowed to park there. Now, parking is available on a first come/first served basis with the overflow being accommodated (as before and at reduced rate) in the nearby council car park. The problem is that control of parking is non-existent and people appear to have little compunction about blocking in other guests. I was lucky enough to avoid the fate of another visitor whose car was trapped by a vehicle parked immediately in front and at a right angle to his (it transpired that the vehicle in question had been there all day but attempts to contact the owner/driver had proved fruitless). While not normally a supporter of the dreaded clampers etc perhaps something could be done to sort this out?

Room Tip: The better (more expensive rooms) overlook the gardens and are worth the money. Also, check out the...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Probus
Exeter, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 2, 2013 via mobile

I highly encourage anyone looking for a hotel in the Exeter area to stay at the Magdalen Chapter Hotel. Or for those who live in Exeter, a visit to the restaurant, bar or spa.

The hotel is really modern and contemporary whilst feeling homely. The atmosphere is really relaxed and you can not help but want to stay forever!!

The rooms are very comfortable with lots of fun features such as your own iPad and deluxe coffee machine. The beds are super comfortable not to mention large. The room was so nice, it made it a hard to leave.

Breakfast was very good, great coffee, freshly cooked breakfast using locally sourced produce and homemade bakery items.

We were lucky enough to have great weather during our stay and took full advantage of the outdoor pool, which is again is well worth a visit.

A great mini-break that we will be repeating soon.

Thank you Magdalen Chapter.

• Stayed July 2013