“One night - Excellent”

Ranked #17 of 31 Hotels in Exeter
Bodmin, United Kingdom
“One night - Excellent”
Reviewed January 8, 2013

My wife and I stayed whilst up from Cornwall for one night and had beautiful night and morning. The rooms were comfortable clean and modern, love the ipad in the room, breakfast stunning, pool wonderful and staff lovely.
Well done

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (256)
Essex
Reviewed January 5, 2013

Really enjoyed our stay in feature room. 2 balconies with views over Exeter. Nice lighting and spacious bathroom. Room service good with good quality food. Breakfast was lovely in the modern restaurant overlooking garden area. Very light with floor to ceiling windows. Staff friendly and helpful from check-in to check-out. Will return again.

Room Tip: Feature room 308 spacious and funky with balcony views and lovely bathroom with large shower area
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Plymouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 4, 2013

This time we stayed 3 nights over NY's Eve. The usual smiling, "have anything you like" welcome. The hotel was full and buzzy with all ages, children, dogs and many open fires. The conversion is water tight against the current deluge and the detail works and is put together well. Bearing in mind the provincial setting, the rooms, wines and restaurant are suitable and good value. We met several friends in the restaurant and mixed up choices and size of dishes from the various menus; all acknowledged with a smile and good service. The menus and cooking are very good, particularly the small "fusion" salads and dressings. Overall, the hotel is well led and running well. Did the gym and the jacuzzi in/out pool. This works well (31 Dec in the rain); steam on the surface and swim into the warmth. Well done Fiona, the General Manager and the young team she is forming. .

Room Tip: Perhaps pay more for a larger room. Technically challenging! Read the instructions! Particularyly...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Teignmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 3, 2013

Having had several nights at The Magdalen Chapter over the festive season, I left feeling quite relaxed. Despite an expensive and tasteful renovation, the whole hotel would be nothing without its wonderful staff. They are young, enthusiastic, hard working and genuinely seem to enjoy their vocation in hospitality. The rooms are variable and it very much depends on what you are prepared to spend as to the size of the room allocated. I was upgraded once and the room was lovely with a free standing bath in a turret-area and a separate top of the range shower room. The dinner on New Year's Eve was particularly memorable. Breakfast is also very enjoyable with plenty of choice and no congealed food on hotplates. Everything is cooked to order. There are plenty of comfortable rooms/areas in which to relax or socialise. The bar menu is extensive as is the cocktail menu. A friend tried out the spa on New Year's Day and she returned with beautifully manicured nails and said that she had thoroughly enjoyed the experience.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank CdeSH
singapore
Reviewed January 1, 2013

I have known this Hotel in its previous form, so was interested to see the Magdalen Chapter. Much fuss about how great the rooms are and REM bathroom products. Yes, the bathroom products are lovely and it is nice to have a Nepresso machine. However, we couldn't find the coffee pods or the mugs and had to ring to ask for them. Well stocked free fridge, thankyou. Please could it be Sauvignon rather than Chardonnay?! Did appreciate the beautiful soft towels. Small small bedroom, was that because i did a last minute deal? Barely room to get in or out of the very comfy bed. It was also crazy hot and not easily adjustable temperature. I had come from Singapore and was not expecting to be so warm!
Worst thing was finding a previous occupants dirty sock under the cupboard when I went to pick up my pen. That was not good. Breakfast was delicious and really interesting menu. Am not convinced by achingly trendy converse as worn by all staff! on some people they just look plain daft. Brilliant to be able to park at the hotel. i did enjoy my stay, on the whole.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 1, 2013

My friend and I stayed at this fantastic hotel for New Year's eve, yesterday, and we were both extremely impressed. The hotel hasn't been open for long, but it already feels like it runs smoothly. From the moment we walked into reception, to the time we left, we were both made to feel incredibly welcome and comfortable. My friend had a French Bulldog with him, and was given a room for a dog, at no extra charge, which included a delightful (apparently) dog rug and bowls.

The hotel is in a great location, the amenities, including the indoor/outdoor pool, fantastic, the decor minimal enough without feeling impersonal and the odd flourish of personality dotted sporadically.

Definitely recommend the hotel, staff and facilities. And absolutely returning.

Room Tip: For the additional fee I'd definitely go for a double next time.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Bath, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 31, 2012

My daughter,her husband and toddler stayed here on Christmas night (its a favourite of theirs) My wife.our eldest daughter and I joined them Boxing Day afternoon to stay the night.We booked the library for dinner,kept it private where we had our Christmas gift swop.Roaring log fire,fab service.You could almost expect to be forgotten in this room,but no,the service was really good.I noticed plenty of staff on duty through out. We had a good "deal" so for £20 extra my wife and I upgraded. Comp iPad, comp mini bar which I didnt know about until I was halfway through my bottle of very good white at dinner.hey ho!.
My "grumpy old man" moans are....the coffee machine,both my girls have them,I visit them I ask for a cup of instant so that I get a 'hot' cup of coffee,the machine in the room was the same,luke warm and no umph! to it,a couple of coffee sachets would be nice for we old uns!
As much as I love the smell of an open fire this was a bit over the top.It was wet and windy in fairness,but the whole hotel at times seemed full of smoke,every time the front door was opened,whoosh up went another smoke cloud.Id suggest a fake one in the lobby at least. At least two of us had soot on our pillows in the morning and some of the breakfast crockery showed evidence of it as well, and there was no fire in that room as I could see.
All in all though a very nice place,I would,they would go back again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family