“Great Sunday Lunch”

Hotel du Vin Exeter
Ranked #15 of 31 Hotels in Exeter
“Great Sunday Lunch”
Reviewed November 20, 2012

We had Sunday lunch at the Magdalen Chapter this week and it was excellent.

The restaurant isn't that much different from when it was Hotel Barcelona, its had a bit of a facelift, some new fixtures and fittings and the pizza oven is gone, but its the same room as the restaurant was previously in.

The food however is hugely different, it is so much better now. We had the three course Sunday lunch menu, its a set menu, but there were still 5 or so choices for each course. At £17.95 for three courses I thought it was exceptional. Great food, good service, nice environment.

The wine list is good and is available in two formats, a traditional paper style as you would expect and a way over the top gimmicky version on an Ipad. Shame, as they really dont need to resort to this sort of thing to impress, it adds nothing and if anything it cheapens an experience which is otherwise outstanding. Don't get me wrong this is a tiny tiny point and some people love it I'm sure, but it just came across as slightly tacky in an otherwise high end restaurant.

The Ipad thing and the lack of parking (there is a pay and display just round the corner, but that was full) are the only negatives I found, and they were far far out-weighed by all the positives. We will definately go back.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (251)
London
Reviewed November 19, 2012

I am no stranger to the Chapter experience , having visited the Montpellier Chapter in Cheltenham and on this basis selected the hotel. My house is very similar in interior design.Overall this is an excellent hotel and I enjoyed my stay, which was relaxing and enjoyable, when I was visiting my daughter who is a student at Exeter university.
I loved the contemporary boutique hotel modern meets old interior design and the log fires everywhere, including pool and spa were wonderful, creating a warm, cosy ambience.
I loved the REN products in my deluxe room as well as Nespresso machine and Samsung TVm. There were plenty of fluffy white towels and bed linen with high enough thread count. The bed topper was lovely and soft but I did feel slightly warm as it gives off a lot of one’s own body heat.So I might take it off next time. I could not see the point of the Ipad, but I guess it was a nice touch to find out check out times etc.The bathroom was great. I think the room might have benefitted from a warmer coloured painting and patterned rug to offset the all-white décor , but that is being a bit picky.
The staffs were friendly and helpful. I took my daughter and friend to dinner and it was very nice. We struggled with the large pizzas, so the waiter packed up the left over pizza for my daughter to take back to her friends in Hall.
The breakfast was very good indeed.
I loved the pool which is inside out and you can swim from the cabin containing a log fore and out to the garden, it was very nice and warm yet refreshing and pleasant to swim out amongst the flowers and nature even in November.It is also a short walk to the cathedral square which has nice shops and restaurants to browse and frequent.
Things they might consider doing differently- the parking!This was a nightmare for hotel guest as there is not enough space with a popular restaurant frequented by locals. Parking was difficult on entering on leaving.I had to wait 10 minutes for a refuse collector to back out and then in turn, I was not afforded much courtesy as I was forced to back out on to a busy road , by incoming cards. The hotel should limit parking bays to hotel guests and diners should park across the road in a public car car park.
Overall it was great I look forward to my next stay,

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Queen-Corsica
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 17, 2012

I've been using the Magdalen Chapter as my second home for the best part of a month now, and as I'll be working in Exeter for a fair stretch longer I think I can safely say I have found my favourite bolt hole in town.

Previous reviews tell a very accurate story of the place in terms of eyecatching and individual decor and great facilities. If I was having a romantic weekend away in Exeter for any reason, then clearly a stop here would do the job admirably.

But as a regular haunt for a business traveller I was a little sceptical if this place would stand up to being a second home.

I have since stopped at the Magdalen Chapter on several occasions for an entire week at a time and also for one or two nights at a throw. I have tried a single room and two doubles.

Shortcomings first: The single rooms are VERY self contained and if you're a bit lanky you may find the single bed a little ungenerous in terms of size. The beds themselves seem, to me anyway, to be a tad too soft and not quite as firm as I would like for a good nights kip. The water in the bathrooms could be a few degrees hotter I think, and some of the room controls are complicated and fiddly. Also the rooms could do with more carpeting as the high ceilings and bare floors can make the rooms seem a little austere. Parking is also a nightmare, although that feature is common to all of Exeter.

Moaning over, there's virtually nothing else to fault here. The rooms, even the smaller ones, are spectacularly well appointed and designed to maximise the space available.

For business travellers, particularly those overgrown boys like me, the Magdalen Chapter is sublime. Sky Sports and ESPN streamed to your television IN THE ROOM. Free bottle of beer in the fridge every day. Solid and entirely free unlimited wifi. And best of all, real support for gadgets - the media centre in the room is a masterstroke as it supports Bluetooth so you can stream anything directly from your smartphone to the room's sound system - which even goes into the bathroom. So within an hour of arriving I was soaking in the bath to the sounds of my favourite internet radio station via my Iphone. Top marks!

The restaurant is great and you can get a decent fill for under £20 - breakfast is also wonderful. Similarly, if the compactness of the rooms is getting a bit much for you, the lounge is spacious enough for you to stretch out and unwind, or you can get cosy by the real fire in the library - one of the best features of the hotel. The bar is well stocked - although a little light on the beer front, the wine and cocktail selection is top of the league. In fact, it is difficult to avoid spending money at the Magdalen Chapter and so for those who have to watch business accounts you need to keep an eye on this.

Rebooking is easy and you can usually ask for the best rates from reception.

All the young staff from the bar to the housekeeping are professional and polite and very keen for you to enjoy yourself.

With the pool, gym, free newspaper and host of other wonderful little touches, this is by far and away the most business-traveller friendly hotel in town. Long may it remain so, I'm back for the foreseeable!

Room Tip: Try your best to get a double as the single beds are a little cramped. You should still be able to m...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Hushmore
shaggydogdevon
Reviewed November 13, 2012

Called in for coffee today: VERY warm and helpful: 2 log fires going: coffee was bought over, they let me use a meeting room for a private call for 20 mins: excellent relaxed hotel run by genuinely friendly and helpful people.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank shaggydogdevon
Guernsey
Reviewed November 12, 2012

The previous reviews have said it all. A wonderful hotel, friendly staff and absolutely nothing to improve on.

We stayed here with our two adult sons for two nights, and one of the nights was Sunday night "Dine and Stay".this is a fantastic deal with a £75 allowance,per room in the restaurant. As we had 3 rooms, we could not spend all this allowance, even with 2 decent bottles of wine!

The food is excellent and the service is too. This is the place to stay in Exeter.

Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank thedearmans
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 12, 2012

This was a last minute overnight stay on a long journey to the very extreme west of Cornwall.
I arrived with just enough time to check in and get organised for dinner. Check in was a bit different. As soon as I walked into the hotel I had to wander around for a while before I found it. It turned out to be a sitting room area with no desk. Eventually one of the staff noticed me looking lost there, and brought out a laptop from a cupboard to do the check-in formalities.
The whole hotel was beautiful and its design optimised the blend of the original and contemporary.
I made it to the restaurant in time to have a well made vodka martini in the bar. A good value table-d'hôte menu or a la carte was just right and there was a good selection of wines by the glass (chosen from an iPad brought to your table which allowed for in-depth interactive information to help you choose).
They also offered each guest the loan of an iPad for the room.
The room was very comfortable and I slept very well.
The staff were professional and friendly
I would definitely stay here again - as a natural stop-off point for Cornwall, easy for me to get to after work, start the unwinding process in comfort and then a civilised short drive the next morning to the west.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed November 11, 2012

This hotel sets the standard for the rest of the country in how to update an historic building while maintaining even improving its character. I was staying in the one of single rooms which was fantastically equipped and comfortable. The staff and service were friendly and the food (whether in restaurant/bar/lounge) were very good. I will stay here again given the chance to visit Exeter again.

Room Tip: The single room I was in had hooks on the wall rather than a wardrobe - this worked absolutely fine...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends