“Great place with only a few flaws”

Hotel du Vin Exeter
Ranked #18 of 31 Hotels in Exeter
Reviewed October 26, 2012

When I checked into this place at the start of the week, I felt like it was trying too hard and had too much fussy technology rather than simple provisions of what I wanted. A day later I was into it and a week later I was quite upset to have to leave. While it is not one for the technophobe, the hotel is modern, slick and very well staffed. Based in a former hospital the building is beautiful to look at and even nicer inside. Each day a real fire greats you while the traditional desk is ditched in favour of a nice reception area where laptops are used for check-in; looks a bit uncomfortable for some of the staff, but felt nice and different.

The regular sized room I had is a little compact but very plush with it – I didn’t take one of the iPads they offer you on check-in, but there is a docking station for it in the room. The bed is very comfy and towels, robes etc are very thick and heavy. The lighting arrangement took me a second to get used to, but I loved it once I did. The staff in the hotel are all very good – everyone is dressed is very cool trainers, jumpers and fitted shirts and everyone is working hard to seem like all of it is no big deal and a pleasure; they do this very well and it made me feel very welcome – quite the thing since I normally tend towards being anti-social when it comes to those in the service industry (sorry). The wi-fi was included in my room rate and it was awesome – not only was it free but it was very fast and so strong that I could still pick it up in the restaurant on the other side of the road!

The place is not totally perfect though; the parking is very limited at the hotel – although plenty of parking exists on the roads behind the hotel as long as you do not intend to hang around each day (it is only free outside of business hours). The gym is also very small with only a few machines (which were overly elaborate for my tastes). Those having a cooked breakfast should also be aware that this was a little slower than it should have been because it is cooked to order – it is very nice because of it, but those looking to eat and go should just go with the cereal and fruit they have out.

I was sad to check-out because this is a great hotel that provides all the plushness of a high-end chain but yet does it while feeling like a warm, welcoming place. Can’t imagine coming to Exeter and staying anywhere else.

Reviewed October 26, 2012

Nice modern hotel in an interesting building . Freindly helpful enthusiastic young staff .

Nice contemporary designed rooms. I was in an attic room not very big windows but very clever lighting made up for it .

Liked the Nespresso machine in the room

Fresh milk in the minibar which was great , I hate the " tastes like real milk! " crap . Unfortunately the minibar fridge wasn't working so it had gone sour ! But replaced very quickly

Complimentary iPad was good , use for ordering room service , great for me as I'm deaf and have trouble with phones . Excellent steak , real chips , and home made bearnaise sauce delivered by room service.

Signage could be better couldn't find restaurant in the morning . Breakfast service an atrium which was bit chilly

Reception is a room with a big rock in . That's the reception desk and they check you out on an iPad , not really practicable when a lot of people need to check out at once .

Car parking limited but public car park nearby

Overall very nice hotel, would recommend

Main problem the desk in my room was under a sloping ceiling , I got bored with hitting my head very time I got up!

Cooked breakfast not the biggest I've seen , but very good quality , excellent cured smoked bacon. Big pot of coffee.

Room Tip: Get there early for limited car parking
Reviewed October 25, 2012

I miss Hotel Barcelona but the restauraunt with the bicycle theme was a bit random and it could sometimes be a bit studenty!! Magdalene chapter hopefully will grow into itself. It's uber trendy and reminds me of the big brother house. I didn't see the rooms but have heard they are amazing. The food is pretty good value and the staff really friendly. Love the wine list on the ipads, really helpfull. It's a boutique hotel that you could easily go to on a monday night with friends, a weekend with a date or a family meal. Glad it's re-opened, you've been missed.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Emma B
Reviewed October 23, 2012

Stayed for a weekend at the Magdalen Chapter, and wouldn't consider going anywhere else now. It's a largish boutique hotel, if that doesn't sound like an oxymoron, except that unlike other over-designed hotels, everything works. The most important things for me beyond the aesthetic are the bed and the shower. Both are first class. Service is unobtrusive but excellent, with an unrequested daily newspaper a nice touch. As is the free mini bar that we never took advantage of. We had a room at the rear of the hotel - quite large ( I had read reports that the normal rooms are on the small side ) overlooking the garden and the pool, with views out to the hills beyond. The pool is a swim in/out jobbie - with the inside being small and equipped with a Jacuzzi and a wood-burning stove, and the outside being a modest five strokes from end to end - but quite warm enough to swim in the autumn. Only two minor quibbles - the loan iPad delivers hotel services but was missing a Safari icon. And the car park is tiny and fills quickly. Fortunately, there's a largish public car park one minute away.

I loved this hotel - in sum, it seemed like a Malmaison that's grown-up, stylish and cool without being archingly hip. We will be back.

Room Tip: It's worth paying for a superior room
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 22, 2012

I am lucky enough to live not far from this hotel, tho I have eaten there on more than one occasion. My senior work colleagues have also stayed there - again on more than one occasion.
The experience at this hotel is pure pleasure from the moment you step over the threshold, from attentive staff who not only smile, they know what they are talking about, the clean, contemporary design and the whole ambience of the place which is just superb.
The food also was beautifully presented and cooked with nothing spared on the ingredients, many of which are picked from the Magdalen's kitchen garden. A free iPad to use, a mini bar replenished every day!!!! What more can you ask for. I knew the hotel Barcelona well, a great replacement in every aspect.

Room Tip: Tell the reservations staff exactly what you want and your expectations, they prefer to know.
Reviewed October 22, 2012

For anyone without a food allergy or medical dietary requirement, caring about how a hotel responds to requests for gluten-free food may seem trite.

However, as someone who spends at least one weekend in four traveling, I've learned that hotels that respond well to individual requests tend to be the ones that deliver across every area and have strong lines of management and staff development in place.

I booked two rooms at The Magdalen Chapter for Saturday - Monday some weeks ago. On booking, I explained to the receptionist that I am am a coeliac who needs to remain 100% gluten free. She said this would be "no problem" and consequently I booked a leisure deal that included a contribution to dinner on the Saturday evening.

I reiterated that I was a coeliac at check-in, also at dinner, and to our waiter. Even so, my cheese course was brought with standard wheat biscuits. On receiving the dish I asked if this was gluten free and was assured it was - a quick taste revealed they were not.

The kitchen realised their mistake and brought me a fresh plate of cheese without biscuits. When I complained to the charming bar manager (he was the most senior member of staff available) he apologised and offered me some free prosecco or brandy.

Anyone who needs to avoid dairy/wheat/nuts, etc will know that a complimentary offering is no consolation for the inevitable days of sickness and sore tummy that will follow. We declined.

The fact that the staff has little understanding of food allergies in underlined by their confusion when I asked for some separate butter for my gluten-free bread. Without separate butter, crumb contamination happens when gluten eaters share butter and condiments with those who are gluten free.

The hotel failed me - and glitches in communication were obvious in other areas:

*Scrambled eggs at breakfast arrived inexplicably with smoked salmon, it was we were told a “kitchen error”.

*The hotel offers a turn down service - our room was turned down one evening, but not the next.

*At the last moment, another guest decided to join us, we asked to purchase an additional single room and were told that only feature rooms were available and advised to ask again about cancellations at 7 pm. When we asked at 7pm the gentleman on reception told us that they’d had three single rooms available all day and didn’t understand why we’d been told otherwise.

The hotel is clean, the main rooms are stunning, the indoor/outdoor pool is sweet (but very chilly) and many of the staff are helpful and friendly. The food (disregarding my problems) was tasty and straightforward.

We spent over £1,000 for two nights, so it is priced in line with a Malmaison or Hotel du Vin, and certainly at the upper end of Exeter’s hotel offerings. However, the Magdalen Chapter does not attain the funky vibe or personalized service experienced in a really good Mal - therefore, my advice is to avoid until the kitchen is better managed and communication issues are addressed.

Room Tip: Rooms at the front can be noisier than those over-looking the walled garden at the back.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank JoanneSkerry
Reviewed October 21, 2012 via mobile

My wife and I stayed in the hotel recently and were not left disappointed. Upon arrival the staff were extremely helpful and pleasant. It's very modern inside and well decorated with all the extras you would expect and more. We stayed in a luxury room and it was beautifully layed out the only thing I'd say is I have stayed in bigger rooms. The bathrooms were great with power showers and all the luxury extras you'd expect. We had a spa treatment and this was great too and again the staff were brilliant. The grounds and the pool area are all well kept and a very relaxing get away considering your right in the centre of Exeter. The bar was great and we enjoyed a cocktail or two, I'd say they weren't the cheapest but they were very good and well made. The only issue I found was parking but if you stay in any good hotel in a city centre this is normally the case. I'd say its the best hotel in Exeter.

• Stayed: October 2012