“Gorgeous hotel, lovely staff”

Hotel du Vin Exeter
Ranked #17 of 31 Hotels in Exeter
Reviewed October 19, 2012

We were booked into a regular room for our 1 night stay, but the staff kindly upgraded us to the 'best room in the house' as we'd just got married! The staff were lovely, helpful but not over-bearing and very calming, really made our stay excellent. They were really relaxed about a slightly later check out as well. The iPads are a nice touch too. The pool is a beaut (inside and outside) and the whole building is stunning. Definitely go have a massage while you're there too! I would've loved to stay longer if we could.
If you're in Exeter, go here.

Room Tip: Room 308 is great!
There are newer reviews for Hotel du Vin Exeter

Reviewed October 16, 2012

I had a wonderful time and although it was a business trip and therefore a standard room(compact) I have already talked to my wife about a weekend away in the feature room.

As I have a business relationship in Exeter (and they recommended you) I’m sure I will be visiting again and definitely stay in the Magdalen Chapter.

I loved the gadgets and trendy set up at check in…not the usual behind a desk experience and the homemade lemonade was a welcome change.

My only negative was I found it confusing in when I came out of the lift or through the front door to know where to go, but equally there was always a friendly and helpful member of staff on hand.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms opposite lift doors
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed October 14, 2012

The hotel is well situated close to the city centre. A former hospital it has been well converted into a modern hotel

The staff are extremely pleasant,helpful and very relaxed when dealing with guests. They made me feel very welcome.

The pros of the hotel are:
Great Staff (nothing is too much trouble)
Relaxed but highly competent approach to guest relations
Rooms are comfortable and well furnished
Brilliant bathroom and plenty of towels, toiletries and bath robes. Loved the shower.
Lots of free extras rolled into the room rate: I pad (although wifi access was a little difficult at times), free mini bar, morning newspaper, espresso machine etc
Didn't eat dinner in the restaurant but the breakfast was very good and reasonably priced
Public rooms are good (although I found the lack of a traditional reception area a bit odd at first)
Check in and out trouble free (but you do have to ask for a printout of the bill)
Didn't use the spa and sporting type facilities but people suggested they were very good
The hotel seems well adapted to the needs of disabled people.
They allow dogs (not in public rooms) and seeing dogs around made the place seem more homely ( I am a dog owner but didnt take them with me)

Comfy bed

Cons:

Parking along with many city centre hotels is a problem. There is very limited parking at the hotel and it was disappointing to see that disabled parking was being abused by non disabled guests. Local parking is municipal and you have to get day by day parking. There is a set down point within the car park but that was not policed by the hotel and it seemed to be used as a parking space. Needless to say the offender had a very expensive red sports car (go figure)

The room is was staying in whilst very nice it was a bit small

The hotel relies apparently on imparting information about the hotel its facilities and general stuff with the ipad. The information was not accessible on my ipad when i used it. As a result was not able to get information on how to control temperature within the room. The room got very hot and had to sleep with the window open, which was quite noisy

These are all minor points and I would not hesitate to recommend this hotel
Thanks very much

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank David M
Reviewed October 14, 2012

From the reservation over the phone to the staff on duty, everyone was so friendly and helpful and nothing was too much trouble. We made a late booking and therefore had a discounted rate (£50 off bed and breakfast in a superior room - worth asking!!!). The building is impressive, reception quirky and our room very well thought out. Although not the largest of rooms, it had everything you could think of plus more. The iPad given to you on arrival is brilliant - all the info for the hotel, places to visit and music is on there - shame we had to give it back at the end!! The rooms are very stylish with added extras such as the free mini bar. Breakfast was very pleasant - we decided on the continental but a cooked breakfast is also available. We cannot really fault this hotel, we look forward to returning here and also to visiing their other hotel in Cheltenham.

Reviewed October 14, 2012

I am very fussy when it comes to hotels and on the whole I come away with several negatives in mind. Either the rooms are noisy, the design not to my taste, the room too hot to sleep, staff unaccommodating. However I would be pushed to find fault with this wonderful new boutique hotel in Exeter, luckily for us as our son has just started University down there so this will have been our first of many visits. I had read trip advisor comments before going and saw that there had been some teething problems particularly with the level of service in the restaurant. The hotel have obviously worked hard to resolve this situation as we had perfect service in the restaurant and the food was delicious! I loved our room, number 113 which is a feature room. The bed was very large and very comfortable. The facilities at the hotel are great - a small but all you need gym, a lovely spa, and a wonderful indoor/outdoor swimming pool, heated to 30 degrees throughout the winter! The location of this hotel is ideal, only being a few minutes walk into the town and with car parking at the front or in a car park to both right and left.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 113 which I can highly recommend but I was told that many of the feature rooms are...
Reviewed October 14, 2012

Good Hotel, looks very stylish, nicely refurbished, love the smell of log fire everywhere . Service could be a bit more attentive, very sloppy in the F&B areas, very good check in, clean room nice touch to have turn down service . Would return when back in the area, but book a larger room next .

Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed October 13, 2012

We'd stayed at this hotel a few years ago, when it was known as Hotel Barcelona, so were keen to see how it matched up in its new guise. We couldn't have been more pleasantly surprised, as it is almost unrecognisable. Check in was swift and unstuffy and were quickly shown to our upgraded room on the second floor, overlooking the well-tended walled garden.

The room itself was large and really imaginatively lit, creating a nice calming atmosphere. Bed was large and very comfortable and the addition of a free mini bar (wine, beer and soft drinks) was a really nice touch, as normally you only have a look at a mini bar before you have to take out a second mortgage.

The lounge areas of the hotel are spacious and plentiful and lend themselves to the relaxing ambience of the place. The staff are wonderful too, stopping to take the time to check you're having a good time. It's obvious that they are all really proud of the place and so they should be.

The food in the restaurant is fantastic, really varied and very reasonably priced (a couple of mains and a nice bottle of wine came to about £60) and the breakfasts were great, just enough or far too much, the choice is yours!

The real surprise was the addition of the swimming pool, with its inside and out options (cant really describe it, you'll have to see for yourself). The pool really lifts the whole hotel and affords you the entire hotel experience, instead of thinking something is missing.

As for Exeter itself, we hadn't been for about 8 years and found it to be a city rejuvenated with a massive new shopping centre and a new John Lewis. Like the hotel, it's upped it's game and is worth a visit.

Would we come back? We've already planned it

Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple