“Free salad bar but service only average”

The Malt House Harvester
Ranked #385 of 535 Restaurants in Exeter
Cuisines: British
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: At The Malt House Harvester in Exeter food is fresh, full of flavour and just how you like it. Choose your tasty grill, sauce and side at our restaurant and we'll get cooking - while you head off to the famous Harvester salad bar to grab as much crisp, freshly prepared tasty salad as you like.About our Harvester restaurantIf you're looking for a family friendly restaurant in Exeter, there's nowhere more popular than Harvester. Close to St Thomas, Heavitree and Stoke Hill, our restaurant is a great choice for anyone who loves tasty grills, indulgent desserts and eating out in a friendly, relaxed atmosphere. Plus we've loads of choices for young guests.
Reviewed November 1, 2012

I am giving an average rating due to Free Salad Bar and frequent Free Ice-cream Voucher. The service is not as good as anyone would expect from a fine dining, and it wasn't. There are a few times I had problem with them. One time can't give me my free ice-cream coz they say can't use my voucher on their till, one time can't get a table due to only 2 person working on that evening, one more time waited for 40 minutes and food not served due to kitchen did not have my order and gone without having my meal coz was late for the movie and last one was can't give me hot water due to health n safety even I explain I need it for my baby food. But overall food was fine and hopefully they will improve more in future as I will go there every fortnight. Decor and cleanliness are good.

There are newer reviews for The Malt House Harvester

Reviewed October 28, 2012

The is the only Harvester we have walked into and been given a table straight away - hoped that this wasn't a bad sign. The pub decor is lovely and the staff were pleasant. The salad bar was not as good as some other Harvesters we have visited but other than that a very good meal.

Reviewed October 16, 2012

We went to the Harvester in Exeter to take advantage of the free starter or free ice-cream offer. On arriving we were told that only one of the starters was available and they didn't have any ice-cream - we wish we had left at that point. Apparently there's a problem with the ordering. Drinks took a long time to arrive and we were just about to leave when they finally came. When placing our order our choice of sauce was not available, another problem with the ordering! The salad was bland with some dirty lettuce. The chicken was OK, but the rump steak was tasteless and the peas plain awful. The place was generally untidy, with tables in need of a thorough clean and wife reports that the ladies toilets were dirty.

Reviewed October 6, 2012

Our food order was placed at 8:25, & 40 minutes later, it still hadn't arrived. Since no staff were giving any of our signals for assistance any attention, we sent one of our party in search of staff. She asked a manager who sent a waiter over to tell us that it was "under the lights" and would be over in a minute. 10 minutes later it arrived, with the waitress telling us it was fresh out & hadn't been under lights at all?? We then looked at our food, which contained 3 over cooked steaks & 1 cremated sausage, so we complained to the waitress who brought us the manager. She told us to "hold it right there" when we described the issue & told us we would recieve freshly cooked meals in 10 minutes to replace our orders. These then took 20 minutes to arrive (over an hour from the order being placed) We had our meal & even had deserts, since we were starving!! At the end of the meal, we were flabergasted to see we were charged full for the meals. We had given up complaining at this point since nobody seemed to care about customer service. I have had attrocious service from this venue before, & my feedback was never followed up so I doubt this will be either. Instead I will finally give up on giving the Harvester chances as it clearly doesn't deliver the service & product it claims!!

Reviewed October 6, 2012

We were a party of 12, and ordered food as normal, but after 1 hour and 15 minutes we received our meals. This was after complaining twice about the wait. The rack of ribs arrived rather tepid in temperature and only the minimum amount of BBQ sauce. Others complained about their meals being warm and not hot, as though they had been hanging around in the kitchen for some time. The french fries were something that McDonalds could be proud of

1  Thank YorkiesinDevon