“Fabulous New Year” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #22 of 31 Hotels in Exeter
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
“Fabulous New Year”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2013

We stayed on 31st and enjoyed the fantastic meal, starting with champagne and canapés and moving on to several wonderful courses. Entertainment provided by a great singer and pianist, with master of ceremonies enacted by a previous owner of the house! The rooms were lovely also (Silk and Chai); really well decorated, very comfortable beds and great showers. Luxurious but relaxed, we had a great time!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank primrose23
southernhayhouse, Owner at Southernhay House Hotel, responded to this review, January 4, 2013
Thank you for your kind review. I'm so pleased you had a great time over New Year, and enjoyed the entertainment; I wanted to remind guests of the Georgian past of SH, without being stuffy about it. The entertainers are all friends and quite major professionals so it was a big ask to get them down to play our little pop up piano but they, and the staff, enjoyed hosting your party and there are some marvellous photos I will share with you seperately on email.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
Torbay
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 31, 2012

We stayed here to celebrate my 30th birthday and we were not disappointed in the slightest with our choice. We were warmly welcomed and shown to our very spacious room (the tulip room), the bath was just wonderful!! Dinner that evening was very pleasant (I had crab to start and pigeon for main) and the service was very good. We decided to have a drink in the bar area and we were really impressed with the décor, it was a great way to end the evening with some cocktails. We slept really well and breakfast the next morning was very impressive, we both opted for eggs Benedict which was delicious. Thank you for a lovely stay, I would definitely recommend this hotel and would love to return one day.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your review; it is always great to hear from local (well, fairly local) guests as we aim to be your "club in town" when you come to Exeter. The Tulip Room is a really special treat, I think; it feels so private and is so spacious (the bed is huge as well). I'm really glad you enjoyed the food - you obviously know about menus as you chose such interesting and complementary dishes. Watch out for our new 2013 menus, which are live now!
Dorking, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 19, 2012

2 wonderfully Christmassy nights in Exeter. A warm welcome and a stunning room including a featured extra deep zinc bath. Funky decor - a blend of Georgian art and 50's glamour prints. The bar is a great place to meet for drinks. Staff are friendly. The only reason I wouldn't return , is that the vegetarian food is really average. A Waldorf salad at the bar was not the deep bowl of crunchiness I had anticipated, but was a teensy weensy but beautifully sliced minute side dish which wouldn't even satisfy as an accomplishment to a main dish. The meal the following evening was bland. A fellow veggie diner sighed and said its what's she always expected after 30 years of a meat fee diet. But why? Vegetarians aren't less hungry! Or wanting less flavour. Read an Ottolenghi book, see what other restaurants serve, vege food needs more flavour adding, not just a few pine nuts scattered on top! I want flavour. And a feast! Pity. Shame they never asked me or my fellow diner what we thought or what we'd like in future. A bit of research will surely make me a returning customer. On the up side.... Breakfast was fabulous!!!!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank katharinejg
southernhayhouse, Owner at Southernhay House Hotel, responded to this review, December 20, 2012
Hi there. Vegetarian options: now, as a fickle vegetarian (i.e. one who actually prefers the taste and texture of vegetarian food on balance, rather than choosing on moral grounds) I share your frustration with the offerings in Exeter. What I can say is that we have a new Chef as of this month who is developing menus with a particular brief (from me!) to be inclusive and to provide good and changing vegetarian options. Please check the new January menus on our site and also please send any especially preferred dishes - we are all familiar with the Ottolenghi menus and just need the demand to be able to supply within our fresh and daily changing specials. I sincerely hope you will return and enjoy our decor while snacking on something seasonal!
Sandgate, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 17, 2012 via mobile

Stayed a couple of days for our first Wedding Anniversary. Although we didn't have an evening meal, breakfast was excellent - high quality local fare. Our room (Ivory) was fantastic and lived up to the promise of the pictures on the website. Great location, too, but parking around the corner was pricey.
A terrific experience regardless. Burgh Island next.

• Stayed July 2012
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for such a lovely review - much appreciated and please can I encourage others to leave feedback as we're really working on developing what we think is a niche in the Exeter market; a "clubby" hotel that just lets you crash and be at home while in the city. One word of warning, as an Exeter resident myself: car parks are not so good in my home town. We can recommend the nearest, provide your change and even top up the meter for you but this is something we have been lobbying City Center Management on for a while. Don't let it put you off; Exeter is also the most accessible city I know by train and all areas - including us - are just a short walk away.
Exeter,UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 28, 2012

We dined here courtesy of my brother who stayed at Southernhay House last weekend. Great atmosphere reminiscent of the fabulous Burgh Island Hotel. No robotic staff here! Food was delicious and unfussy - I had sole with new potatoes - plain and simple - it benefited from no tarting up!
As for the accommodation - My brother and sister-in-law were very comfortably cocooned from Saturday night's storms. Gripes? No wardrobe and a little miffed at having to sort out their own car parking, but they would definitely stay again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
southernhayhouse, Owner at Southernhay House Hotel, responded to this review, December 1, 2012
Hello and thank you for your nice review of dinner; it's always good to have some feedback from Exeter locals - I'm glad you liked the menu and you might be pleased to hear that we are just now bringing out new menus with the firm emphasis on simplicity and great ingredients. I think, especially at the moment, guests are looking for clean, fresh, classic dishes that speak for themselves. Just on your niggles: I would love to have parking on site but it's just not possible in this central location however there is parking on the street or 2 minutes away round the corner: we keep change to hand and guests can pull into the drive to orient themselves before parking. We have hanging hooks rather than wardrobes in the rooms as, in my experience, guests tend not to use wardrobes for an overnight stay (unless at Burgh island, of course, where changing for dinner is de rigeur!) but I fully appreciate that may not be everyone's view. I do hope that your brother and sister in law will stay with us again and that we'll see you in the New Year, if not before, to check out our new menus.
Fowey, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 25, 2012 via mobile

We came for a private dining experience and opted to stay the night and were not disappointed.
We stayed in the Spice room and were very impressed.
The food, both in the evening and the breakfast were lovely.
The only slight disappointment was that there was no parking at the hotel, but upon reflection this was to be expected with it being in the city centre and not out in the countryside like where we live!
Overall a fantastic stay!

• Stayed November 2012
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Hi there and thank you for your lovely review. I'm so pleased you decided to stay the night after dinner; I'd love Southernhay House to be seen as your "club in town" to drop in for coffee or stay for as long as you like! I dearly wish we had parking for our guests on site but, as you say, we are bang in the middle of Exeter and there is parking on the street or just 2 minutes away - but why not come into town by train next time? We're just 5 minutes walk from Exeter Central Station. We hope to welcome you back very soon.
Wells, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 18, 2012

My wife booked an overnight stay for us and we stayed in Chai and had dinner at the hotel for a small group of family and friend. The room was brilliant and the service we received was excellent. A memorable occasion for me. Thanks.
Peter T

Room Tip: Choose the one you want on line or telephone and ask the staff as my wife did. We had a back bedroom...