“Best Salad”

Ranked #153 of 567 Restaurants in Exeter
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed July 3, 2018 via mobile

I have just eaten the best salad I have ever eaten in a pub. It was large, varied and well seasoned with fresh bread and butter. The amount of prawns and smoke salmon were extraordinary ( probably enough for four normal pub salads) as was the marie sauce and salad dressing. Fresh slices of lemon and orange too. Brilliant and healthy pub food

1  Thank Nigel W

Reviewed July 1, 2018

stopped off for bit of lunch food great service good food was very hot but thats a rareity these days

1  Thank Laurence R
Reviewed June 21, 2018 via mobile

Had a great time at the Ruffwell
Food the best that I've had for a long time I had a fantastic steak my family had the carvery only empty plates left and big smiles, just as well they left room for desert as the tart was spot on .
VERY highly recommend
Great service
Great ale
Great value
(Did I mention how great the place was lol)

1  Thank Michael A
Reviewed June 21, 2018

Had to wait over an hour to finally get seated, during which time we were spoken to once by a barmaid who seemed to not give a damn about how long we'd been standing around. The young man serving the carvery had a cold and proceeded to sniff wetly whilst hacking away at the beef. The food itself was far from hot by the time we got our hastilty slopped portions back to our table. When we asked if we could see the manager/owner to complain we were told that he was "out flying his drone" and so was not available. Really cannot reccomend this place. Appalling.

1  Thank 424jmichaels123
PeterACairns, Owner at Ruffwell Inn, responded to this reviewResponded June 27, 2018

My THIRD EFFORT TO REPLY to this review .. Hopefully within TA guidelines .

This is my third effort to reply to a totally fictitious review .. TA seem to think that this sort of reply is outside their guidelines , but they won’t be more specific .. I wonder if they will print this .

Our customers don’t have to wait to be seated .. we have 160 seats and a further 80 upstairs if we are busy ..

All my staff are polite , friendly and considerate ..

I don’t have any young men working for me .. I do most of the carving myself .. any one who calls me young is joking ..!

Our Carvery is always hot and fresh .. people help themselves so any “hash slopping “ must have been by the reviewer .

I am the owner and am nearl always at the pub .... I do have a drone , but I haven’t flown it for four years ..!

Reviewed June 17, 2018 via mobile

We come most occasions like Mother's Day / Father's Day etc as we can easily be accommodated as a big family get together of 15 people. Carvery is under a tenner and decent. Staff lovely. Puddings lush. Nice play area outside. It's always busy so shows how good it is. Only thing I'd suggest is putting more cheese in the cauliflower cheese

1  Thank Donna S