“Powderham Castle” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Powderham Castle

Powderham Castle
Ranked #3 of 121 things to do in Exeter
More attraction details
Owner description: Powderham Castle is the family home of the 18th Earl & Countess of Devon. It was originally built by Sir Philip Courtenay in 1391 and despite undergoing many transformations since surviving the ravages of the civil war in the 17th century, it has remained in the same family. Entertaining guided tours bring the fascinating history to life, you will find them engaging whatever your age. Discover secret doors, stunning architecture and even a haunted landing. We would advise you to allow at least 3 hours for your visit so you can take time to explore the many acres of gardens and grounds. The Walled Garden is home to our friendly Powderham pets, including Tessa the tortoise and Harry the donkey, and is a safe haven for our little visitors. Relax in the peaceful surroundings, from the beautiful Rose Garden, overlooking the deer park and Exe estuary to the Woodland Garden, with its stunning collection of trees. For the keener walker the breathtaking views from the foot of the Belvedere tower are very rewarding - you can see for miles and feel on top of the world! Before you leave visit the Powderham Country Store. Here you will find Toby Buckland's wonderful plant shop, the Powderham General Trading Co with its range of gifts, clothes and home furnishings and a fantastic food hall, bakery and butcher.
Exeter, England, United Kingdom
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Powderham Castle”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2013

A really lovely castle to visit with your family. It seems to have everything! I went with my daughter, and I had a guided tour around the castle which was very interesting indeed. We then went on the ride around the castle which was great fun, and viewed the deer close up. The castle also has a cafe and gift shop. It also holds special events for Bonfire Night and Christmas, and has held a few 'gigs' there in the past. Very enjoyable.

Visited March 2012
1 Thank Wendy D

• Greek first
  • Korean first
Teignmouth, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“An absolute gem”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2013

Having used the farm shop and the surrounding retail complex and cafe on more than one occasion, a friend and I recently decided to pay to view the castle and gardens. I really wish we had done so earlier because this place is a hidden gem. It is a 'home' and not a museum as so many National Trust houses seem to be. The history associated with the family and castle was expertly imparted by our lady tour guide. The interior was in the main very attractive. My only disappointment was the chapel, which didn't meet my expectations decoratively but my friend did not agree with me and she thought it was very peaceful and appropriate. The deer park was fascinating and the views unparalleled. We ended the tour with a snack in the cafe in the courtyard garden and were happy both with the food/beverages and the service provided. My son recently attended an open air concert in the grounds and he really enjoyed the occasion. It was probably held on one of the only warm and dry evenings of this year! I will certainly be recommending a tour of the castle to friends and family when they visit the area.

Visited September 2012
1 Thank CdeSH
Ipswich, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Lovely day out”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 28, 2012

Had a lovely day out visiting Powderham Castle and the surrounding areas.
Beautiful birds and wildlife, we had the good fortune of seeing.
Lovely coastline just strolling along forgetting all the woes of home.
There was an antiques fayre going on so we managed to get a ticket and have a wander around in there.
Didnt buy anything but could have done many times over.
All i all a good day out.

Visited November 2012
1 Thank Miriam A
Hemel Hempstead, United Kingdom
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“Not To Be Puffed At, A Visit To Powderham Castle!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 21, 2012

To be honest I had never heard of Powderham Castle until I saw it in a Devon entertainments brochure. But when I went there I fell in love with it! So I cannot give it a bad review. Fantastic grounds, including deer park, brilliant views all round and over the River Exe. The castle structure itself is outstanding with the usual additions that have been made over time. There are lovely floral gardens right across and round each side. The guided tour was very informative, but very light hearted. Lovely historic interiors. The cafe in the courtyard serves teas, coffees, sandwiches and cakes. We sat outside in the courtyard admiring the castle, taking in the atmosphere. I had the pleasure of briefly meeting the Earl on my walk round the grounds. It is very much a hands on family run business. The day we were there they had a Pirates Adventure and a Birds of Prey display. If you look on their website, you will find that they always have something going on there. We went on the tractor trailer ride round the deer park, you get really close to them. On leaving you can get your ticket stamped so that you can return within say a month for free! I recommend Powderham Castle for a brilliant day out!

Visited August 2012
1 Thank Downloader141
Woodbury Salterton, United Kingdom
52 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 73 helpful votes
“Fantastic when the weather is fine”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 11, 2012

Powderham Castle is not a huge place and on our visit we were actually shown around by the Lord of the Manor. On a fine day there is more outside than inside with a fantastic deer park near the river.

Visited July 2012