“Better than expected!”

Pitcher & Piano - Exeter
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed July 17, 2012

Found myself here, and lunch ordered before I checked the tripadvisor reviews so was a little worried about what might arrive on our table!

In fairness, the customer service I'd received up to that point, and indeed for the rest of the visit was faultless. Nothing spectacular, but certainly no cause for complaint. We ordered dishes from various menus and it was the waitress who offered to change the order slightly in order to receive a better lunch special deal which was very welcome.

The food itself was good I have to say. The burger was homemade, and in a lovely fresh roll. I was expecting microwave tat upon reading the reviews, so was pleasantly surprised. Others in the family were equally pleased with their order; spicy chicken wrap, and scampi & chips.

Overall, customer service was fine, atmosphere was good, food was perfectly acceptable, in fact for a chain pub/restaurant I was actually quite impressed with the quality of the food, and average £8 a head for lunch including drinks was pretty reasonable.

Reviewed July 1, 2012

Never have I felt so compelled to write a review as I do about this place. Besides the fact that the toilets were absolutely filthy and smelt awful, when I mentioned this to a member of staff (I believe his name was Chris and he was the manager on the Saturday evening) his response was 'no they are not'. Several members of staff had a unpolite and rude manner when serving drinks and we will not be going there ever again! We went to the Firehouse afterwards and what a contrast - what a lovely, polite bunch of staff with very reasonably priced drinks and clean toilets!!!

1  Thank starDevon
Reviewed July 1, 2012

The staff behind the bar saturday 30th June were rude and unfriendly as well as being argumentative, they took our drinks away when we left to use the toliets.
The toilets had no paper, were wet and smelt of urine. This is unmistakably the dirtiest pub in the world.
The toilets in third world are looked after better.
The food is not worth having, unpleasant and tasteless.
Avoid this place unless you are drunk

1  Thank hilda s
Reviewed May 2, 2012

This is like every other mid-price vertical drinking establishment in Britain.

If you are a two glasses and the rest of the distinctly unappetising bottle free kind of person who thinks a sofa counts as extra value, head here with no fears.

Service is actually quick and the upstairs space is good for functions but beware your fellow drinker elbows at weekends.

Reviewed April 9, 2012

Went in about 1:15 for lunch as unfortunately our favourite Exeter pub was not open until 5:00. Bearing in mind the eating area is spread over more than one floor I was amazed to see there was only one waitress dealing with everybody. Initially she didn't look harrassed but began to look more anxious as the place started to fill up. We were kept ages before our food/drinks orders were even taken. Another family on a nearby table came in, patiently waited for at least 15 minutes but then decided to pack up and leave. At this point I decided to go to the gents which was below stairs it was dark and smelt a bit - not pleasant!
The waitress obviously had far too much to do. The drinks arrived - without a glass of drinking water we had asked for - and then we waited for the food. When it finally came, my lasagne was inedible - I could hardly get my knife through it as it had been so overcooked. The cheddar cheese topping (I would have expected parmesan) looked like paint does after you try to take it off with a blowtorch! I complained - after managing to get the waitress's attention and she whisked it away having been reminded about the still missing glass of water. My wife and daughter duly carried on with their meals whilst I waited for mine. When it arrived - along with the water - my family had finished eating - so I proceeded to eat alone which restricts conversation somewhat. The lasagne was decidedly mediocre with the cheddar cheese looking the same but it was still microwaved to death but at least I could get a knife and fork through it now. The 'chef' really ought to pay more attention to his microwave instruction book in future ...
My wife and daughter left me to eat alone as they had to get back to the car because the ticket had run out due to the unintended prolonged time we had stayed in the restaurant. I didn't wait for the bill or I'm sure I would still be sitting there now but went up to pay as this was the quickest way to finally exit the place. I professed my sincere sympathy with the waitress and said I didn't blame her for the train of events.
This was a poor dining experience - mediocre food - but the waitress made the best of a bad situation and it was not her fault that management had seriously underestimated the staffing requirements for a Bank Holiday or they employed a chef who couldn't microwave competently!
I would not go back to this particular P&P outlet or recommend it in any way beyond the fact that the sofas were quite comfy.

1  Thank LymeRegisSmart