“Closed”

Exeter, United Kingdom
“Closed”
Reviewed February 16, 2014

hasn't this closed down?
anyway the last time i went there the staff were very rude
and they got our order wrong but even the chef didn't want to acknowledge it

• Visited March 2013

“Best Chinese in Exeter”
Reviewed February 8, 2013 via mobile

The food here is consistently good and the staff are all really friendly.. Don't be discouraged by the odd negative review. Salt chilli ribs, shredded beef and Thai sweet chilli chicken are some of my favourites. See you again soon.

London, United Kingdom
“Very hospitable”
Reviewed January 11, 2013

I went to Exeter for a weekend away alone. After waking around the whole town of the evening, I came across Shanghai Nights.
As usual my eyes were bigger than my mouth so I was never going to finish it all. The food was pleasantly to my taste and the service was speedy and the staff pleasant.
Even more so when I went to leave, I tripped down the stairs. It was 22:30 and the staff advised the taxi would be 30 mins of which I was not going to wait for so I said it was fine I would walk to my hotel. The owner/manager came and mentioned he would drop me as he was taking another waitress.
I must say that was one of the nicest things someone could do.
I would definitely return for the food not the lift of course :)

• Visited September 2012
Exeter, United Kingdom
“The only place in Exeter you're going to get decent dim sum.”
Reviewed January 9, 2013

We've been going to Shanghai Nights since it opened. It's not perfect, but it's so much better than any other Chinese food in Exeter that you're going to want to go there if you want a decent Chinese, and you're definitely going to have to go there if you want decent dim sum.
While the dim sum isn't always as good generally as it is in Hong Kong, it is authentic and delicious.

My other half normally orders the sea bass with ginger and spring onion. It's generally very good and totally authentic (had the same in HK.)

The quality of the cooking can be a bit inconsistent, but not greatly so. The service is amateurish (usually young staff, often students), but usually very friendly and with a good attitude and you can always get a waiter in my experience. They also don't bother you while you're eating, which frankly is all I care about unless I'm paying fine dining rates and even then I find I just don't want to be bothered.

My major gripe would have to be the price; it's not cheap and could be a little more competitively priced (saying that, to be fair they do do an all you can eat option, which is very handy for the discerning obese diner)...oh that and it's sometimes too cold in the restaurant!

Overall though, if you want Chinese food and you're in Exeter there's nowhere else you should go. Very good.

• Visited October 2012
Taunton, United Kingdom
“Dim Sum in Exeter!”
Reviewed October 15, 2012

Not the biggest dim sum menu, and the cheun fung was perhaps a little heavy, but the rest was good. Great to find this kind of food in Exeter. Waitress managed to be busy but friendly at the same time, service prompt without being rushed. We will make it our new regular venue for lunch when in Exeter.

• Visited October 2012