“Poor food and even worse staff!”
Review of Shanghai Nights - CLOSED

Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed May 15, 2012

Went here on a Monday night for a birthday celebration and the so-called 'all you can eat feast'. Initially it started off well we filled in our menu sheets and from then on it went rapidly downhill. The service was to put it nicely appalling. A wait of 30mins brought the first round of poor starters for one table, the second table waited a further hour for theirs. Worse was to follow, a wait for two hours before some of our mains arrived. The missing food we were told later had run out and no options were offered, leaving the vegetarians starving at one table and the meat eaters at the other wondering why they were only getting veggie dishes. After complaining we were told different stories as to what was run out. Then when it came to trying to get the bill, we asked for a separate drink and food bill which apparently is an epically complicated task for a computer to do! Then the price quoted in the internet of £13.50 per head was actually £16.50 per head. Also as we were a group of 20 and ended up sitting as a table of 11 and 9 the larger table had a sur-charge of £20 for being a group of 10 or more.
All in all it was not worth the money for the poor food, poor rude service and basically a total rip off!

1  Thank Jane U

Reviewed April 17, 2012

I have been using this restaurant for some time (only because a certain dish) but find the staff apalling. The last 2 times i have been they have messed up my order and just cant seem to get it right. I have seen the owner and son manager who just dontr want feedback!! They have ruined too many nights which is a shame as when they are good they are very good! Just dont even bother with the other restaurant in Pinhoe as they are even rude to boot!

2  Thank cantonap
Reviewed April 17, 2012

Good place. The food was excellent and we are looking forward to trying different dishes. Unlike some others on this site, we thought the service was ok – slightly inattentive but as friendly as in many places.

1  Thank mineheadbrowns
Reviewed March 25, 2012

This is my first time visiting Exeter this mighty city. After some research from the internet, I thought this restaurant is one of the best Chinese restaurants in the UK. As it has another branch in other city. When I arrived, I was impressed by the outside of the restaurant. I had a very high expectation from this restaurant. At first I spoke to the receptionist lady that I am looking for a table for two. However, that lady said “straight up to the second floor”. I thought this restaurant would have someone to guide me to the table. However, when I walked up to the restaurant floor I wasn’t welcomed by any staff. Therefore, I chose a table which is clean and set up. I have been waiting for 20 minutes. A waitress came and asked how many people have we got, then forced us to sit to a smaller table. I accepted that. Then I had ordered some beer and tea. The glass and cup are dirty. Logically I requested for some flesh glass and cup. The same waitress brought some glass and cup then rudely asked me if those glass and cup are clean. First of all, does the waitress think I am being fussy? Or does she think I am blind? I thought having all glasses and cups are clean is a very basic rule in running a catering business. However, I have asked twice to change to a reasonably clean glass and cup. How ridiculous was that. But I am still accepting the situation at that moment. Then I moved on to the menu, and I saw a special dish called “Hunan lamb”. Therefore, I have asked the same waitress what it is about. Then she explained it is a type of lamb with onion. Because of my curiosity, I have chosen that dish. But it just turned up with a beef in satay sauce. I have also ordered some “honey char siu” but a black thing was just overheated in the microwave. I am a frequent traveller in the country. I have also been to different Chinese restaurant across whole country. I thought “char siu” is freshly roasted not warmed in the microwave. During the course of the meal I have also noticed the customer in the next table were not satisfied with the food that they hardly taste the food. They have just spent 15 minutes with 10 dishes of food and spoke to the waitress and requested the cancellation of the food order. There were couples of times that my beer glass was emptied and no one asks me if I need more drinks. And I have to wave the waitress to come over. At the end they don’t seem interested with me as the customer at all. Then I would have to shout and gain their attention. The basic service is the staff should manage to spot the service I need, but not requiring me to shout for attention from the staff. After I have ordered the third bottle of beer, the waitress just smash a bottle of beer on my table. The other customers in the restaurant were looking at me. Is the waitress not satisfied with the complaint? Since I was totally disappointed with the food and service then I asked to see the manager. There was a guy with T-shirt and a pair of jeans came up the stairs. Then he went to the pantry. After 5 minutes, he came to my table. Then I found out that he is the owner of the restaurant. However, his attitude has shown me that he doesn’t seem there is anything wrong with the food. He asked me what’s happened on the dishes and I told him what has happened with those dishes. Firstly, I told the dishes was not right because the “hunan lamb” provided is totally different from what I expected. I had knowledge of how does satay beef taste like in the UK. However, that “hunan lamb” is exactly the same as the satay beef with instant noodles in Hong Kong. I understood there were some differences in terms of the taste of the food. But the boss explained he sliced the lamb on the same day. Do you think I am stupid that I can’t distinguish between lamb and beef? The boss was challenging my tongue. I am sorry a normal person could easily taste the difference in between beef and lamb. The boss just told me rubbish, which he sliced the lamb today or not is not related to what he gave me. The boss told me he has a good business, and I was the only customer making the complaint. I am wondering if the staff had confused with the orders and gave me a wrong dish. Then said the beef is lamb. I don’t understand whether the boss is backing up the waitress or the chefs. I believe a huge restaurant should have a manager. There is no manager but only waitress who can’t satisfy me. I was looking for someone who could spot the error at that moment. I thought he is one of kitchen staff, and I was shocked he is the owner of the restaurant. And he is telling me how is “hunan lamb” like and was cooked by a chef from hunan, China. Is it a joke that the boss forced me to pay for the food that I don’t accepted at all? He asked me to pay for one dish that I don’t need it. Finally, I was upset by what he has said to me. The boss not even notices my lady was angry. He didn’t ask my lady what happened with the food, he just came because I request to see a manager. I have never criticize a restaurant like this ever. I don’t mind to pay the money, but I wasn’t satisfied with being forced to pay with the food that I didn’t eat. I am sorry, the manager had to be sorted by the boss. I am a polite person, but the boss told me what is hunan lamb, and should I go to china and taste it then tell him what hunan lamb should be like. That is the most most worst UK chinese restaurant.

4  Thank fzhang1982
Reviewed March 18, 2012

Went there last night 17/3/12 this place going down hill fast,ordered a drink turned up wrong,ordered some extras to come with meal never got them but charged for them.Asked waiter for bowls too eat out of, i think he went back to china to get them.Food turned up and as we never got a food warmer the food went cold very quick.when i tried to ask the waitress (i think her name was zoe) if we could have the main course to be cooked so it came out with the duck starter she huffed and puffed and walked away.one thing that i cant fault is when you ask for the the bill it comes out fast with every thing on it you've ordered,you may not get the food but its on the bill.Its a shame the Pinhoe and the Exmouth branches doesn't do the dim sum menu because we would go there instead.might be worth getting shot of the two waitresses because they are not interested in serving food and drink......

1  Thank steve0085