“White Hart Hotel - helped to make our holiday”
Review of White Hart Hotel

White Hart Hotel
Ranked #10 of 31 Hotels in Exeter
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
“White Hart Hotel - helped to make our holiday”
Reviewed July 7, 2014

The hotel is well placed in Exeter, very close to the cathedral. Car parking was excellent and the hotel was flexible on the day we checked out. The rooms were clean and tidy and very good value .

Food was a good standard and overall the team and hotel deserved the rating.

Room Tip: All the rooms were similar
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Whitehartexeter, Assistant Manager at White Hart Hotel, responded to this review, July 20, 2014
I am delighted to hear that you had a pleasant stay with us. The car parking is definitely an added bonus. We are always happy to let our hotel guests use the car park on their check-out day so they can do some last minute shopping before heading home.

Many thanks for your lovely review.

Assistant Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (190)
  • Greek first
Worthing, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 3, 2014

Stayed for 4 nights Thursday to Saturday. Felt we had made a good choice as everywhere was within easy walking distance. There is an excellent range of shops, bars and restaurants. Only 5 minutes to the Quayside area where you can walk along the River Exe and canal to Double Locks (handy refreshment stop!) before returning into the city on the opposite bank. Lovely to see so many swans with cygnets.

Our room was on the 4th floor in the newer part of the building. Very clean room and nice white bed linen. Bed was comfortable, although the mattress a little soft. Bathroom also very clean, good shower and plenty of towels. Hotel provides Dove hand wash and shower gel in dispensers. Room was quite hot, but a fan was provided in the room. Quiet room with very little noise from outside even though the window was wide open.

Breakfast consisted of cereals, toast, yoghurts, juices, tea and coffee which you served yourself. Cooked breakfast is ordered and you choose from a menu - eggs, bacon, sausage, tomato, mushrooms, baked beans and hashbrown. All served hot and tasted fine (apart from the sausage which my husband had and I must admit didn't look too appetising).

We ordered some food in the bar. Quick service and food hot - tagliatelle good, but chicken skewers slightly dry. However lots of choices outside of the hotel. Can recommend Real India opposite the hotel. Also Weatherspoon opposite the hotel is an old church which is worth a visit, together with the Cosy Club bar which once was a hospital and is quite quirky.

Free wifi throughout the whole of the hotel. Also free parking (which I believe a lot of the other hotels in the city do not provide). All the staff in the hotel and bar were very friendly and helpful.

We would return to this hotel if we were to stay in Exeter again.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Whitehartexeter, Assistant Manager at White Hart Hotel, responded to this review, July 4, 2014
I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your recent stay at the White Hart Hotel. I am glad to hear that you found the location to be ideal for your visit to Exeter.

I am happy to hear that you found the bedroom clean, comfortable & quiet & that the staff took care of your needs.

The free Wifi & Parking are definitely good reasons to stay with us!

We hope to see you again very soon.

Welland, Canada
Reviewed July 2, 2014 via mobile

I loved this hotel. Very friendly and helpful staff. Great location and very historical pub. Highly recommended. Exeter is a great place to visit. Really enjoyed free red cost tours. Cheers Adele Tanguay

Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
Hello there!

I'm so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay at the White Hart Hotel. The Red Coat Tours around Exeter are a fantastic way to learn about the history without paying a bundle.

We hope to see you again in the near future.

Colchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 25, 2014

Booked the White Hart as it was centrally located for my stay in Exeter, as well as providing a reasonable cost of accommodation. The reviews I had read were fairly good.

As I walked towards the hotel, I began to wonder if I'd made a duff choice... the building looked a little tired, neglected even, perhaps it needs a lick of paint or more, but it looks a bit shabby.

Then as I walked through the Hotel courtyard it began to grow on me, the charm of a building with clearly so much history, and obvious charm. The hotel reception area is at the lower part of the hotel, down quite a few steps. There, I received a very warm welcome, a thorough explanation of the services of the hotel, and a request for a taxi was dealt with in a jiffy.

I had time for lunch in the hotel bar. Had an enjoyable Cheese and chutney sandwich with chips. All very appetising (and 20% off the food on their main menu for hotel guests).

My room was on the first floor, and as I was on my own, I booked a single room, which was adequate in size. The hotel has no aircon, and it was possibly the warmest night of the year (so far), so the room was sweltering. Having said that, the bed was comfortable, the shower good, the free wifi (throughout the hotel) was very welcome, and there were sufficient plug sockets (one of my usual bugbears in hotels these days).

The breakfast was also pleasant with some lovely members of staff.

My summary? a lovely old building, albeit in need of a little TLC, with staff who really care that you have a good stay. Would I stay here again? Yes I believe I would!!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Many thanks for your wonderful review. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your recent visit to the White Hart Hotel.

I am glad you found the bedrooms to your liking and that you enjoyed your meal. The residents 20% discount on meals from the main menu is certainly a perk of staying here. I am also pleased to hear that the staff looked after you so well.

I am sorry you felt that parts of the hotel were in need of TLC. The hotel was built in the late 14th early 15th Century and we try to maintain as much of the character of the building as possible.

We hope to see you again very soon.

York
Reviewed June 20, 2014

We stayed for 3 nights in the newer part of the hotel. The view wasn't great, as it looked out onto the car park, but it was clean, comfortable and well equipped.
Breakfast was very good- a large selection of cereals/ fruit and juice and a cooked menu where we could choose exactly how much we wanted. The staff were all friendly, helpful and efficient.
We had no problem parking as the car park was large: it was also free for hotel residents.

1 Thank FoxyF
Many thanks for your lovely review. I'm so pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us!

Yes the free car parking is indeed an added bonus!

We hope to see you again in the near future.

Thanks again.
Millville, New Jersey
Reviewed June 10, 2014

We stayed two nights here. What can I say, but I absolutely loved it. I stayed in one of the older rooms right next to the hotel's sign. The rooms were charming with the atmosphere of the Inn's of old. The newer area had an elevator to the rooms and the older area did not. The winding staircase to my room added to the appeal. The parking was great, the breakfast was delicious, dinner was awesome (fish and chips), and the staff was friendly, and wanted your stay the best it could be. It's also situated just right for walking and exploring the area.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank CapricornCrone
Whitehartexeter, Assistant Manager at White Hart Hotel, responded to this review, June 17, 2014
I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your recent visit to the White Hart Hotel. I am pleased that you found the rooms, staff, food and location to be of a high standard. We pride ourselves on our friendly yet professional team.

I shall gladly pass on your wonderful review to the staff.

We hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the very near future.

Somerset
Reviewed June 8, 2014

Third visit to the hotel, first time we have ever encountered a problem with the room..It was just too small, but the lovely lady on reception solved the issue quickly and offered another room, still on the small side, in the older part of the hotel, lots of ups and downs with stairs, but still nicer than the first offering!
Was overcharged at the bar, but again, all sorted out quickly with no issues.
Food was lovely, breakfast nice, service was quick, friendly and efficient.

Room Tip: Older part of hotel has lots of doors, lots of small sets of stairs....Not good if you have any kind...
Hello there,

I am so pleased to hear that your issues were resolved quickly and efficiently! The original part of the building dates back to the late 14th, early 15th Century and hosts a variety of quirky and different shaped rooms that have a few of the original features in place. We also have the new wing of the hotel that has more standard sized bedrooms with the added benefit of lift access.

We hope to welcome you back to the White Hart Hotel in the near future.