“Most depressing experience of my life!”
Review of Gipsy Hill Hotel

Gipsy Hill Hotel
Ranked #16 of 31 Hotels in Exeter
Birmingham
“Most depressing experience of my life!”
Reviewed May 27, 2007

Can't believe i actually had to pay to endure this stay!

Knew it was going to be awful from the moment i approached the doors which were the most offputting i've ever had to walk through! A hideous stench greeted my nose as i entered and i felt like i was in 'The Shining'!
The receptionist was the most invasive person i've ever had to answer to. After a long and irritating wait to receive my room key, i dragged myself and my heavy case up the stairs and went to my room. Walked in to find the window wide open, beds unmade and towels used! Ran out and back down to the nosey receptionist who shoved us in the 'coach house'. Walked into my coffin of a room and couldn't breathe it was that small. Went back over to reception and said there was no way i could stop, got moved to the biggest room in the hotel after i slated it!!

Overcharged evening meal and room service. Decided to go to sleep to escape from the hideousness of it all but couldn't sleep for the noise of the extractor fan - we were right over the kitchen! Cutlery clattering and doors slamming, eventually fell asleep

Woke up and went down for an ok breakfast, escaped for the day

Came back and decided to make the effort to dress up for dinner, however when we got down to the restaurant we were the only ones in there!! Might as well of stayed in our room in pjs!! Meal was inedible, microwaved to death lasagne. We were told the chef was off as it was a bank holiday. Just the most tragic empty souless evening meal i've ever ever had! Even the manager gave us a bottle of merlot to make up for the tragedy!

Morning arrived and thank the lord it was time to leave!! Came down for breakfast, which was clearly yesterdays - it had just been reheated!! Inedible crap!! Couldn't bear it any longer.

Endured one more painful conversation with the worst receptionist in the world - who had, by the way, been wearing the same clothes for the past three days - and ran out of gypsy hill praying to the lord for our own sanity we would never have to return!

Please, please, please you have been warned - do not go!

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Everything
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled with family
5 Thank Liddie
NightingaleExeter, Manager at Gipsy Hill Hotel, responded to this review, November 5, 2007
.This guest stayed in a newly decorated room
The room is large and has been fitted with 100% wool quality Axmister carpet (less than 6 months old) The meal for her companion meal was satisfactory. The free bottle of wine was indeed worth far more than the lasagne but unfortunately she was not satisfied.
Breakfast is cooked fresh every morning and
we would not dream of serving breakfast from the previous day.

The fan in the kitchen is turned off at 9.30pm and does not go back on until 7.30am. I am sorry if they needed to go to bed extra early and it kept her awake

We sometimes are very quite on bank holidays as both business and tourists
guests do not want to travel on these days
and it is a good time to give the head chef a day off.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (115)
Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 22, 2007

We have just returned from a 2 night stay at the Gipsy Hill Hotel.

We were there for a friends 50th Birthday and I have to say the hotel did the function very well, with the food in particular being very good.

HOWEVER:

We checked in at 8.30 on a Friday night, no one on reception, no bell, after waiting for some time we looked over the desk and found a bell which we put onto the desk and rang, eventually a receptionist came and said 'where did you find that bell?' - 'Behind the desk ' we replied, she said 'I wondered, 'cos I hid it otherwise people keep ringing it....I had this big party in and they all kept ringing it and asking for things....' At this point I interrupted her ranting and asked to check into my room. After a prolonged check in process where my (same sex) partner and I were intrusively questioned about whether we didn't want two rooms (obviously it was out of the question that we could just want one double like any other couple) we were given a scrap of paper 'if you want to charge anything to your room'. Although I'm a fan of recycling, I'm not happy that the back of this slip had other guests personal details printed on it......Next I asked if I could order a morning paper... 'No' came the reply - but you will get a complimentary copy of the local Exeter paper....Oh well, up to our room.....

No offer of help with luggage, no information about dinner......

By the way - the hotel was perhaps once a 'Victorian country house' but no evidence remains as it has been extended in all directions with ugly and unsympathetic 1970's additions, oh and its very close to the motorway - so close that in the grounds you can hardly make yourself heard over the roar of the traffic...

We were directed to the ugly 1970's student dorm block ( 'The coach house') over the other side of the car park. The door had a swipe entry - of course this was not in use

As we struggled up the stairs, past bags of dirty laundry in canvas bags and chairs left in the corridor (one with a good deposit of bird poo on the back) we noticed the curtains in the hall hanging from their rails and tripped over the vacuum cleaner half hidden under a table....

And so to our room .. cold, dusty and gloomy, a bottle of half used complimentary shampoo on the floor, long blond hairs in the bed, thin tiny towels, two cups but one saucer, a bouncy bed with a 'guaranteed roll together' lumpy mattress, furniture and decor in the style of a cheap 1970's local authority residential home and a view across a dusty yard (sorry overflow residents car park). We debated for a while if the bed had been changed - but decided we would give them the benefit of the doubt and assume the chambermaid had the long blond hair..... (gulp)

We tried not to get too excited about the complimentary 'cup a soups' provided, especially as there were no mugs to make it in....

We went out for dinner elsewhere (surprise) oh by the way - Exeter itself is miles away..... and returned late to the room that time, taste, heat and cleaning had forgot....Despite the 'central heating' (lukewarm radiators) the room was freezing and the bathroom colder still - we understood why we were provided with extra blankets, an ugly electric radiator and a fan heater - we needed them all (this was over a unseasonably hot weekend, when the headlines were of the 'it's hotter than the Costa Del Sol' variety.

Oh and the noise - every door seemed to have a special slamming mechanism which ensured that we were woken several times in the night (not that the lumpy bed helped) and had no need of an alarm clock as doors started banging from around 7.30 and were joined by the chatter of chambermaids slightly later on......

Not feeling very welcome or comfortable following our homophobic check in, we skipped breakfast and spend the day in Exeter (lovely, lovely city!)

We returned late to get ready for the party and found that the 'hot' water was only lukewarm - oh and the shower - i could pee faster....

The party that night was great and the next morning i ventured down to breakfast alone - amazingly it was fine, not great, but fine..

Another joy was that they had a large Rugby club trip staying and didn't seem to be bothered that they were drunk, singing swearing and shouting in the bar on Saturday night and Sunday morning (I mean at around 10am ! - and vomiting outside the front door as i made my way to the car after checking out after breakfast on Sunday morning) I think this made some of the other guests feel a bit uncomfortable.....

We checked out and despite our bill bearing no resemblance to the drinks we had ordered the night before I paid it and escaped.......

Take a tip - Exeter is great and has some lovely hotels - this is not one of them

• Liked — The party we were attending was held there
  • Disliked — Everything
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Teg_and_Teddy
south coast
Reviewed January 17, 2007

Booked on late rooms and without checking trip advisor first, ormaybe I would not have bothered! However, although my single room was small, the bed was very comfy and the room was warm. The shower was old and plastic, the tv picture was grainy, but other than it it was ok for £60 per night, incl. a full breakfast selection. I had continental which was exemplary. ALL the staff were pleasant and attentive, the chicken curry I had in the bar was actually very good - maybe the best i have had outside of an authentic Indian restaurant - a good choice of wines by the glass. I am choosy and yes, I would stay here on bsuiness again.

• Liked — the bar and restaurant
  • Disliked — the shower
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank jamesgandolfini
North west
Reviewed September 11, 2006

Over forty of us spent a very enjoyable weekend at the hotel. While i agree that the hotel could use a facelift we found the food to be of a good standard, everything in the bedrooms worked and the staff couldnt do enough to please.

Due to its location hotel could do with a courtesy bus and make more effort to have newspapers available for guests to at least purchase.

We were nearly put off by the reviews we read but having been i would happily return again.

• Stayed September 2006
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank Dinggas