“Not Bad”
Review of Gipsy Hill Hotel

Gipsy Hill Hotel
Ranked #16 of 31 Hotels in Exeter
Reviewed August 15, 2014 via mobile

Firstly it's tired - I had expectations of a little gem away from the city and it isn't, it's old fashioned. Service was very pleasant and friendly. Room was excellent with 4 poster bed and large bathroom. I enjoyed the breakfast and dinner the former offers a good choice of hot foods. Finally don't try and leave early as receptionist isn't there early. Modernisation would make this a real find and will try again when back in Devon as opposed to a chain.

Stayed: August 2014, traveled on business
There are newer reviews for Gipsy Hill Hotel

Reviewed August 11, 2014

Firstly, the stand out feature of this place is the staff. Everybody so friendly and helpful from reception to waiting staff. Very impressive customer service which goes a long way!

The hotel could do with a face lift. I kind of looks like a nursing home when you first pull in to the car park (I wasn't sure I was in the right place!). The reception, bar and restaurant are all quite dated, very '80s. The bar area reminded me of a 'social club'. But it was fine and just needs a little bit of investment to give it a face lift. The garden out the back is very nice.

The room was a good size and looked much more modern which was a nice surprise. Comfortable bed, big TV and the free Wi-Fi was OK most of the time. The only criticism I had of the room is that even though it was clean, it could do with a good hoover and dust in the corners of the room. There was a big fake plant in my room and behind the plant pot were quite a few cobwebs and spiders and was very dusty.

I had an evening meal there. Food was nothing to write home about but again, the service was excellent. Breakfast was an excellent selection from dry to cooked breakfast and the food was of a pretty good quality.

I would stay here again, but I'd say its a 2 night max for me. It is excellent proximity to the airport (about a 5 min drive) without too much airport noise and the price was very good for the room that I got. Plenty of parking space. Could be quite tricky to find without an up-to-date sat nav.

• Stayed: August 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed August 9, 2014

A beautiful old country house hotel in a tucked away location with superb food but diabolical service! This hotel could be so good! The room we had was enormous with a 4 poster bed you needed a ladder to get on! The bathroom was bigger than some hotel rooms we've stayed in at "big chain" hotels. The gardens are spacious and well kept. The bar has an excellent selection of beers and wines.All it needs are some staff who know what they are doing. The dining room manager who looks and acts just like Basil Fawlty, physically herded my wife and I out of the dining room and back to the bar as we had arrived 30 minutes earlier than planned for dinner. After waiting in the bar he collected us half an hour later and sat us at our table in the dining room where we were ignored for a further 30 minutes! On the verge of walking out we were finally asked if we would like a drink and to order.We asked for a bottle of wine in an ice bucket and not in a cooler and it came in a cooler! 40 minutes later and on our second bottle of wine (excellent wine by the way) our main courses turned up with still no sign of our starters! We told the waitress to forget the starters and just had the mains, sweet and some cheese all of which were superb. The following evening we had been at a function and arrived back at the hotel around 1030 and went to the bar for a nightcap. I sat down with my drink in front of the TV to watch highlights from the Commonwealth games. The bar maid told me that i couldn't sit there as she was closing the bar and asked us to move to the lounge which we did. An hour later we went to bid and the TV was still on in the open bar with no one watching it - not even those of us who wanted to! Both mornings at breakfast the tea and toast which is not buffet service turned up after we had finished eating our food from the buffet! On checking out we had been charged for the starters that we never received despite the fact that Basil had been remonstrating loudly on the night so everyone could hear that room 9 did not receive their starters and would not be charged for them! This could be such a great hotel but its back to the Holiday Inn for me next time.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank cta283
Reviewed August 5, 2014

We stayed at this hotel as it was close for family to visit. We were originally allocated a room in the annex but asked to move to the main hotel. We had room 2 which was a good size and had a four poster bed which was very comfortable. The gardens are spacious and well kept. We had dinner in the dining room on 2 nights and the quality of the food and service was excellent, we had a monkfish tail wrapped in prosciutto which was truly excellent. We were served by Sue who was friendly helpful and efficient. The breakfast selection was again brilliant, scrambled eggs were amazing, but the whole selection was great.Easy to get about from there, it's close to the airport so there is sometimes aircraft noise,but all in all not a problem.

Room Tip: No 2 was a good size with 4 poster bed. Aircraft do start around 7am and you will notice that
  • Stayed: August 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Emma B
Reviewed August 3, 2014

We ate here to celebrate a family reunion we had a private room the choice of menu was awesome the food was delicious and served very quickly, staff were very friendly and helpful we had young children with us who were well catered for.Would certainly recommend it !

Room Tip: We didn't stay here just had a meal
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed July 31, 2014

I have been travelling weekly to Exeter for over a year and have stayed all that time I have stayed at Gipsy Hill and cannot fault it. The food is consistently excellent the location is quiet and lends itself to the jogger with many beautiful and excillerating routes. The gardens are peaceful and well maintained all the rooms are clean and looked after daily? But the thing that makes Gipsy Hill is the staff they look after you and make it feel personal and you are important from arrival to departure they do the best to make your stay special and they succeed every time.

Room Tip: All the rooms are clean and well maintained and mostly light airy and spacious , room 3 is a little...
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed July 28, 2014

As a trip advisor reviewer it’s a pleasure to go back and re-visit a previous location. Then you can see if anything you write is actually taken seriously. The Gipsy hotel didn’t disappoint.

On a sunny weekend my son and I found ourselves in room 18 of the Gipsy Hill Hotel again.
Again service was pretty good. The room looked lovely and clean and tidy.
On my previous review I had stated the room was a tad cold. But there was a small heater in the corner, so far so good?
Unfortunately, my son was feeling seriously under the weather due to pretty bad hay-fever. He is 6 and was happy being in the hotel room and playing with his new Lego!!
This is where things got fun. He was sick, on the duvet.
The embarrassment and stress of;
1) The only source of accommodation we had was the hotel.
2) The embarrassment of having to phone reception and ask for a new duvet.

While I am not bothered by the sick I did my best to clean up the mess.
He was sick again the next day during breakfast. This time he did get it into a tea cup. The staff member didn’t seem too keen to help. But then not everyone likes dealing with vomit.
So, what is the issue?
For the pleasure of having a new duvet it cost me £20 for a cleaning bill.
I’m sure some readers will think I am pathetic or penny pinching. Maybe I am?
But I don’t expect a hotel to charge for a genuine accident. At the end of the day I had an ill child. I live away due to divorce and financial reasons, so this was a stress-full weekend already without incurring extra costs!!
If this was caused by my own actions then I would accept the cost. But the little guy was ill.
Would I stay here again? No.
Sorry, but every time I am in Devon I have my son.
I drive from Nottingham to Exeter every other weekend which itself costs money in fuel.
Arron is 6 and he will most probably be sick again, but not in the Gipsy Hill hotel, because it costs me money.

Room Tip: Only take healthy kids if you need to
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family