“Great for an overnight stay, reasonable price, excellent service, friendly staff”
Review of Gipsy Hill Hotel

Gipsy Hill Hotel
Ranked #17 of 31 Hotels in Exeter
Durham, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 1, 2011

We stayed at the Gipsy Hill Hotel for one night Sunday on route to St Ives; we booked the hotel during our stay at the hotel in March and asked for the 4 poster room again, it was a little extra but worth it. The room overlooked the beautiful gardens at the rear of the hotel, and had 2 chairs and a settee as well as the 4 poster bed which was extremely comfortable. We received a courtesy telephone call from the hotel to confirm our reservation a week before leaving.

Access to the hotel is via a business park from one of two M5 motorway junctions, the hotel is situated down a country lane which is fairly easy to find and is set in its own grounds within beautiful secluded gardens, you have no view or any indication of the Business Park or M5 Motorway. The decor in some parts of the hotel although clean is a little dated, but the Hotel rates are comparable to the Travel Lodge situated in the Business Park. There are plenty of parking spaces at the hotel.

The dining room overlooks the gardens and is a pleasant room to eat in , Dinner Menu was fine the night we stayed with a good choice and was reasonably priced, I am not am not sure how often the menu changes, service from our waitress was excellent. There is also a relaxing lounge and bar area where drinks were not expensive.

Breakfast was served in the dining room from a buffet table comprising, fruit juice cereal toast etc, with a varied selection from the hot buffet, on each occasion we have stayed everything was fresh and appetising, with waitress service for tea and toast. When we stayed in March the hotel was quieter and breakfast was cooked to order and served at your table.

This hotel is ideally situated for an overnight stay when travelling to Cornwall, you can leave refreshed at 10am in the morning and be in St Ives for lunch.

Will definitely stay at his hotel again

Room Tip: RIng the hotel direct,
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
claire-louisa1980, Manager at Gipsy Hill Hotel, responded to this review, November 17, 2011
Thank you for the review. It's always good to hear that guests have enjoyed their stay at the hotel.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (111)
Jersey
Reviewed October 1, 2011

Our daughters stayed in the room next door which was tiny compared with ours; both rooms meant to be doubles / twins. Their room smelt very musty. The hotel needs investment; a 3 star rating seems generous.

Room Tip: Ask for a refurbished room.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Hertfordshire
Reviewed September 21, 2011

Clean, basic.Staff very friendly if not a little over helpful.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
Salisbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 13, 2011

My wife and I stayed at the Gipsy Hill Hotel as we were invited to a wedding which was taking place in the actual hotel. We had booked in advance, through a third party (popular internet booking service) and paid the rate for a twin room, ground floor, with a veranda. The hotel was advertised as a Best Western hotel so we were rest assured that we would be getting a certain minimal level of comfort. Sadly, the hotel moved us from our paid room to a room which was called the bungulow; across from the main entrance - a separate building which resembled an old public toilet block and contained 3 separate rooms. Adequate furnishings but tired decor, limited room and a slight damp smell. We commented on booking out and as they had still tried to charge us the same rate from our original booking; the Manager agreed to deduct £20 - after some discussion. We still paid a Premier Inn rate which we still considered over value.

Quite surprised that the hotel use the Best Western brand - although I did notice the bill boards had been taken down. Postives are that the wedding went well, the bar was never too busy and albeit being over priced, served cool IPA on draught. Slightly made up for the wireless not working, the shower over the bath losing all power when increased in height and room not being ready; even though we did not arrive until nearly 3 in the afternoon.

If you are attending a wedding at this hotel; stay at the Holiday Inn just down the road!

Clearly with the lack of faciltiies this is no place to stay when travelling on business.

Likes: Near the M5, gardens, child friendly.
Dislikes: Tired accommodation, no newspapers available for the morning, staff, no wireless, over priced.
Neutral: Breakfast, Bar.

Room Tip: Stay at the Holiday Inn
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank x8tag
Thank you for your review. I am glad you enjoyed the wedding you attended. I'm sorry to hear about your room issues. The booking sites do not advertise any rooms with verandas and special requests are never guaranteed when booking through internet sites. Thank you for bringing the lack of wi-fi in this area to our attention and we are now fixing this by installing more routers so all guests can enjoy free wireless access wherever they are in the hotel.
Dorset
Reviewed September 6, 2011

Please please please do NOT book to this hotel!! It may be cheap but the service is horrific...I booked this hotel in June, it took me 3 attempts to get through to actually book the hotel and when I did get through no one had explained the cancellation process to me. Unfortunately due to personal circumstances I had to cancel, I tried to call the day after I had booked it but was unable to get through again. After trying twice I had to return to work so wasn't able to call again until the next day and when I eventually got through they told me I was too late to cancel and they took a £35 cancellation fee off of my credit card, the room only would have been £50. When I called to speak someone regarding this I was fobbed off by numerous different staff, after about 5 attempts of trying to sort this out I asked to speak to a manager and was promised a lady called Grace would call me back but she never did. I called the hotel a further 19 times in total trying to sort out a refund and everytime I was prmised Grace would call back and of course, she never did. The last time I called I spoke to another woman who said she had sent an email and of course that never came either, however the following day I received an email from them saying I will not be getting a refund from them. I am absolutley disgusted with this hotel and taking further action against. Please do NOT book to go here!!!!!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Becci S
We had many conversations and emails to this person regarding the cancellation charge. As a gesture of goodwill from us we did offer a credit of the cancellation charge against a future visit, which was not accepted. She then informed us that if she did not get a full refund she would post a review on 'tripadvisor'. We were well within our rights to charge wihin our cancellation policy and a refund was not due. It is unfortunate that the person writting this rewview did not accept our offer of a future free night stay. We feel that she cannot judge us on our customer service as they did not stay with us.
Berkshire UK
Reviewed September 5, 2011

The net curtains were all ripped, when I showered we went out to Exmouth and when we came back the water was still draining away. My Daughters mattress wasnt level. The breakfast was awful, the eggs looked as if they had been there for two days. When we complained the guy said we should have called them in the night when my Daughter couldnt sleep because of the mattress and they would have moved us!!!!!!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Madrid, Spain
Reviewed September 2, 2011

The hotel is located in a nice area and has a beautiful garden. It is quiet but if you are visiting for tourism, maybe is better if you can get a room somewhere in the centre. In any case the prices in the centre are more or less the same.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business