All reviews city centre function room bus stop wedding reception night break good size both mornings cooked breakfast stayed for two nights a lovely stay room was clean and comfortable full english yogurt nicola wake quay devon
Selected filters
Reviewed November 4, 2016

Check in and out were good and can have no complaints about this the staff were helpful and friendly. The room was fairly basic but I can have no complaints it was clean tidy and equipped with tea and coffee with biscuits. That is the best of it! breakfast was appalling a bit of a poor attempt at a continental breakfast offering which would hardly endear ourselves to our continental cousins. As far as the traditional english breakfast was concerned it was served buffet style in a series of chafing dishes and there was nothing traditional about it.
Dealing with the eggs first, the scrambled eggs were so overcooked and hard if you dropped a piece it would have bounced so this was avoided, the fried egg offering had the appearance of what you would expect a fried egg to be with a runny yolk but when cut open it was as solid as a rock. No effort had been made with the sausage which was the cheapest excuse for a sausage I have had the misfortune to taste, well there was no taste, are there no artisan butchers locally who could produce something significantly better?. In fairness the bacon was of a reasonable standard and the fresh mushrooms were full of flavour. Lastly the baked beans were an absolute disgrace, I would suggest that you could purchase a tin of baked beans at a range of prices and apart from some differences in flavour what you will see on opening such a can will be shiny beans in a glossy tomato sauce. What was offered was a dish of beans that were so congealed they did not move in the chafing dish, they were dull and not shiny as you would expect and I was strongly left with the impression they had been reheated from the day before and possibly the day before that. Lastly, the hash brown was soggy and had been fried in oil which clearly needed changing as it had a distinct tang of old oil.
I was anticipating staying at this 4 star establishment again in the next couple of weeks, however I will certainly be revising my plans.
I have had significantly better breakfasts in transport cafes and wish I had taken this option. I am struggling to justify this as a 4 star hotel.

Date of stay: November 2016
  • Trip type: Traveled on business
Henrik J, General Manager at Hotel Buckerell Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded November 24, 2016

Dear Rolly
Thank you very much for your review following your recent stay with us. I was very disappointed to read your comments with regard to our breakfast and can only apologise for what was clearly not to the standard that we operate to. I would hope that you will return to the hotel and see that this is not indicative of our usual high standards. Please contact me direct, if you do wish to return.

Reviewed November 4, 2016

I visited one weekday lunchtime, it was particularly busy as the hotel was hosting a wake, however Dan was very attentive and made sure I was well looked after and even though I had ordered a simple snack he made sure I was happy with my order. Top marks. Frequented the bar simply due to its close proximity to the hospital where I was needing to vist a relative. A tab was set up for me as 'Lovely lady'

Date of stay: November 2016
  • Trip type: Traveled solo

Dear Guest
Thank you very much for your lovely review on Trip Advisor following your lunch time visit. I was very pleased to see that Dan looked after you so well and made you feel welcome. Although you were visiting a relative at the Hospital, I do hope you will visit us once again.

Reviewed October 29, 2016

This is a pleasant and unassuming hotel, conveniently located for Exeter or for exploring this part of Devon. At times the staff were a bit thin on the ground but were always helpful. The room was of a decent size and well-appointed.
Unfortunately the dining room overlooks the front drive of the house and consequently delivery lorries/vans blocked out any view at breakfast and detracted from the experience - I can't see any obvious solution to this problem.

Dear Guest
I was very pleased to see that you had a very relaxing couple of days at the Hotel. I do appreciate your comments with regard to the delivery vehicles in the morning. Unfortunately on occasion this can be a problem if they all arrive at the same time. I do hope that this did not spoil your stay and that you will return soon.

Reviewed October 28, 2016

We recently enjoyed a two night stay.
Check-in was quick. Room was quite spacious with TV, tea/coffee, hairdryer, safe. No fridge though.
Bathroom was spacious but shower was very weak - not good when washing long hair!
I could agree that the hotel needs an upgrade (skirting boards, carpets etc.) but it didn't bother us really.
About a 20-25 minute walk into Exeter and the cathedral. We also found a short cut to the Quay via a small lane near the church on the main road.
Breakfast was adequate as was dinner.
All in all a decent weekend stay.

Dear Sarah
Thank you for your recent review of our Hotel following your recent stay with us. I was very pleased to see that you enjoyed your weekend in Exeter and the Hotel. Unfortunately we do not have fridges in the rooms but would happily store products for our guests. I was sorry to learn that your water pressure was not adequate and have asked my Maintenance Manager to investigate this. I do hope that you will return soon.

Reviewed October 26, 2016

Stayed here for a couple of nights to use a gift voucher before expiry! Agree with other comments regarding the tired reception and public areas. Room was better than expected, ground floor, quite a large room, well furnished and good bathroom. Was very warm though, even in mid October, so what it would be like in the summer, I can only imagine! Mixed reviews on the the friendliness of staff, some were very pleasant but overall disappointing. Breakfast was quite good, good selection, fairly hot, staff attentive. Had a meal in the bar on the Thursday evening as the restaurant had a private function (thought this would have been better in one of the meeting rooms as it meant the bar was very busy) and we were extremely impressed! Much better food that we were expecting, I had the battered fish and partner had a rump steak, which he thought was excellent, and he's very fussy about his steak! One big criticism is that the outside lights were not put on, or weren't working, it was difficult to see the entrance from the main road, dark and a bit daunting in the car park, and the drive has a few potholes so could prove dangerous to those on foot! Wouldn't rush to go back, although I wouldn't say never again! Overall better than I expected from other reviews.

Dear Heather
Thank you for your recent review of our Hotel following your recent stay with us. I was sorry to learn that you had varying levels of hospitality from our staff, particularly as we usually receive very positive comments in this area. We have had a problem with our exterior lights which are being addressed. I would ask that you accept my apologies for the inconvenience this caused. I was very pleased to see that you enjoyed your meals.