Hotel Buckerell Lodge
Holiday Inn Express Exeter(Exeter)(Great Value!)
$84
$70
Jurys Inn Exeter(Exeter)(Great Value!)
$68
$94
$61
PremierInn.com
  • Restaurant
All reviewscity centrebus stopnight breakwedding receptionfunction roomgood sizewedding venueduty managerboth morningsplenty of parkingmain roadrestaurant staffcooked breakfaststayed for two nightscomfortable roomfull englisha lovely stay
Reviewed August 11, 2009

After looking at more than a dozen hotels for a civil ceremony, we chose the Buckerell Lodge for our wedding on August 8th 2009. We experienced the highest possible standard of service and felt it to be very good value for money. The Garden Suite with its private garden was perfect for the ceremony and the Buckerell Suite was tastefully laid out for the wedding breakfast followed by an evening celebration for 80 guests. Everyone remarked on the wonderful food, some saying it was the best they had eaten at a wedding. We were given a complimatary room with a king size bed, tastefully decorated and lovely heavy curtains to keep out the early morning light. Several guests stayed overnight and enjoyed a full English breakfast with a wide choice of fruit, cereals and cooked dishes. All the staff, from the duty manager to the receptionists, were unfailingly polite and helpful - nothing was too much trouble and they went out of their way to ensure that we had everything we wanted. Thank you all for a perfect day!

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 29, 2009

My partner and I firstly stayed 1 night at the Buckerell Lodge while on our way from Esher to Corwall for a camping holiday.
We arrived at Reception, the welcome was average and the basic info about times of breakfast was given. We stayed in room 43 a standard double for which we payed £115.00 for one night inc breakfast (this was booked online 1 week prior to our arrival).
We had booked ourselves into the Resturant for dinner but once we discovered what the prices were we quickly changed our minds and decided to head into Exeter instead. I believe the prices were around £36.00 per person for a 3 course meal, very expensive considering you could get the same type of food just a short drive down the road.
Our room was quite nice although I have had an equally as nice room at a premier inn before which is alot cheaper per night!
We quickly discoverd after getting into bed that our room was right above the reception, all we could hear all night was the Reception music which was never turned Off! It was very difficult to get to sleep but we managed to eventually as we were so exhausted.
best to have the do not disturb sign on your door if you like to lie in as housekeeping start quite early and get round alot of the rooms by the time breakfast finishes.
Breakfast was standard, there was a choice of a full English and continental buffet, there was a good selection of cereals and juices.
My partner and I don't really complain so we decided not to say anything about the loud music, we paid our bill and left for Cornwall.
Our Camping holiday was a disaster due to herendous weather and we decided to call it quits and spend The rest of our holiday back in Exeter as we new the town well and hoped the weather may be better.
I rang the Buckerell Lodge the day I wanted to arrive to see if they had any rooms available for 4 nights, they only had an excecutive room left which suprisingly was the same rate as one of there standard rooms £115.00 per night.
I mentioned quickly on the phone that I didn't which to be in a noisy room as I was during my previous stay about 2 days earlier. The lady on the phone said they had 1 room left and that it was downstairs where it was quieter. This was not the case! We got in about 11pm in the evening after a meal out apart form having a Superking bed there was no difference between the excecutive room and our previous standard room. When we attempted to go to sleep we couldn't due to a very loud humming or buzzing sound that never stopped, We were in room 12 at the end of the corrider. My partner went to complain as we were very tired and wanted to find out what the problem was. There was no Manager on duty at that time just the night porter, he said that our room was next door to the boiler room and there was nothing he could do about the noise. He said that we could move to room 54 which was upstairs and as far away from our current room we could get! he also stated that we would have to move the following night as it was reserved. We had to pack everything up and move rooms at about 1:30am we explained we were not happy and asked for a message to be passed to the management and to inform him that we would not be moving again.
The night Porter dissapeared into thin air and offered us no help with our bags he simply gave us the key and dissapeared.
Our new room no 54 what also meant to be an excecutive room, it was our smallest room yet it had a tiny bathroom, it was NOT 4 star standards especialy as it was meant to be an excecutive room.
Morning came and we soon discoverd we were by the staircase that the staff used to service the rooms, from around 7am all we could here was the door slamming, this room was also in the area that was started by the housekeeping team first so we had to listen to them chatting loudly and bashing the hoovers or other into the walls and right by our front door. We were supposed to be on holiday and had hoped for some form of a lie in but found ourselves wide awake at 7am for the time were remained there.
Our complaint was never passed to the Manager and we had to approach him ourselves, he was apologetic he said that they had had complaints about the noise before and did not know what it was, He said that he did not think it was evan coming form the Hotel. My partner refused to pay the full ammount and demanded some form of a discount. We decided to stay 1 more night and to then leave halfway through the planned time we were going to stay at the Hotel.
On our second night we thought we would have breakfast brought up to our room, when we discovered that there would be a £4.50 tray service per person for a breakfast that was supposed to be free! I thought that this was outrageous and decided to go down for breakfast instead.
We left finally, it was a dreadful holiday and the Manager knocked just shy of £60.00 of a bill that was £230.00 for b&b only.
The hotel has no facilities for guests in or outdoors the bar was run by 1 young new barmaid, She was very polite and friendly, probably the friendliest member of staff we came across. The Buckerell Lodge is very expensive, I paid £5.75 for 3 scoops of standard vanilla ice-cream in the bar, the rooms are no better than some of the new premier inns, there is no air conditioning and no chance of a lie in if you are staying for leisure, braekfast in your room is not worth the £4.50 as the kitchen is about a 10 second walk away, We did not find the breakfast staff at all friendly nor the reception staff, we had a miserable time and could not justify staying in and spending our money so went elsewhere for the whole of our trip.
I don't think that we will return or recommend the buckerell Lodge to anyone anytime soon.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 14, 2009

Moved to Buckerell Lodge from a dreadful experience at St Olaves Hotel in City Centre. Staff were so helpful and friendly. Room was great, spacious and relaxing. The receptionist went to great lengths to ensure that I had a pleasant, quiet room as a wedding was due to be held in the main reception area. Saved £100.00 on the bill, see them next year!

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed July 13, 2009

Unfortunatley the refurishment choices of this hotel need a re-think. The bedrooms look really smart and a great job has been done BUT each room has a fire alarm sensor fitting on the ceiling that flashes a green strobe light every minute - nice to know that the unit is activated, not so good if you want to get any sleep.

Again, the bathrooms seem to have missed the refurbishment in any detail, apart from a lick of paint. No instructions on the shower, so you land up scoulding yourslef when you turn the shower on/off as you don;t know which way to turn it to do anything !

Staff were very friendly and very welcoming and helpfull - just a shame that getting any sleep is some what more challenging......... please please guys rethink your fire alarm sensors - all I wanted was a nights sleep.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank CJD19
Reviewed June 26, 2009

Room fine but nothing exceptional. Liked the window onto the garden and that is about it really. If I were there again that would be fine by me but I would probably look around first. Very run of the mill.

Stayed: May 2009, traveled on business