“Wonderful”

Clarion Collection Hotel Buckerell Lodge
Ranked #24 of 31 Hotels in Exeter
Reviewed September 17, 2012

Stayed here for a friends wedding. The grounds are lovely, a perfect setting for a wedding. The room was of a good size with a wonderfully large and comfortable bed, the bathroom was also a good size although I think there may have been a problem with the drains as there was an occasional bad smell. The shower was brilliant, really good water pressure - something you don't always manage to get when staying away from home.
Food and service were both excellent.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank piglet_68

Reviewed September 9, 2012

Very nice hotel, only a mile from town but set back from the road and lovely grounds so that you feel it is more of a countryside setting. Would recommend walking from the hotel into town as it is a lovely stroll through the park and along the river before you reach the Quayside, then the Cathedral is just up the hill 5 minutes from there. Great little craft shops at Quayside, we particularly liked the metal work artist who was selling loads of great things for the garden. Breakfast at the hotel was yummy and we ate dinner in the bar which was also very good. Staff very friendly and lots going on at the hotel which gave it a nice atmosphere.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank hooleyholmezonhols
Reviewed August 27, 2012

Only after booking my stay did I find out it was room only.
This hotel is tired, it needs some TLC. A lick of paint would go a long way. Our room was comfy, the bed very good but we were expected to share a shower gel and shampoo. The window frame, painted white, was black with dirt.
I will not be making a return visit to this, 4 star ?, hotel

Room Tip: Go to another hotel
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank redone2
Reviewed July 11, 2012

Room ok, bar and service reasonable, food average. Not the best but acceptable overall.

• Stayed: July 2012
Reviewed July 10, 2012

As promised in my first review, we returned here again for a special weekend away. I was worried on arrival that we might be neglected as there was a wedding reception in progress, however, this couldn’t have been further from the truth! We had a nice room – further to the back of the hotel than before… I guess this was because of the noisy wedding reception which was a thoughtful touch. We returned late and decided to have a couple of drinks in the bar. Despite the party in the function room we were still well looked after and not at all neglected in the bar. Breakfast in the morning was busy (full of wedding guests) and a couple of mistakes were made with my breakfast. These were taken care of and eventually I enjoyed a very nice breakfast.

The reason I love this hotel is the staff. They are helpful, friendly and welcoming and nothing seems too much trouble for them. A far cry from the snooty and stroppy hotel staff I have encountered in many other hotels in the past! A small incident like breakfast can very quickly turn me against a hotel when I get attitude from the restaurant staff – here it is impossible to get angry with or feel talked down to by the restaurant staff – they are lovely.

I look forward to returning again soon!

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 10, 2012

This is not a cheap hotel but unfortunately it does not live up to the price you have to pay. There are some good points but these are greatly outweighed by the bad points. You can get a room in numerours Exeter Hotels offering similar service and rooms at much less cost. We had paid top price for our 3 day stay and expected the hotel to be a 4 star establishment which it simply failed to deliver on.
We found the staff to be very friendly on the whole and the restaurant manager in particular was great. However on arrival at check in I was carrying 2 suitcases, 2 rucksacks and my wallet, phone, glasses seperately and my wife was carrying 1 small cosmetics bag and 3 suit carriers. Unbelieveably after checking in (to the furthest possible away room from the reception) no one offered to help us with our bags! The decor of the bedrooms and corridors leading to the bedrooms was tired and dark and the overall style reminded me of a prison! There is duct tape sticking the carpet down on the stairs to the bedrooms. The bedroom doors do not open and close properly resulting in banging doors at night and in the morning. The room is very dark and stayed that way as the light switch for the main spotlights was behind the TV and you had to move a table and chairs to get to it. There is no ventilation in the bathroom which means the bedroom fills up with steam and bathroom smells whenever the bathroom is used. There is no air conditioning. The view from our room was a wall and the base of a tree. The toilettrees in the bathroom were poor standard and the toilet paper was what you find in a public convenience.There were no biscuits with the tea and coffee. The Hotel directory had a page missing, this missing page was referred to in several other sections of the directory and was important as it gave information about restaurant opening times and other important information. I reported this missing within 30 minutes of our arrival but it was not adressed in the 3 days we stayed there.
The restaurant was good and the wine list excellent.The room service was also good. The bar had a good variety but on 2 of our 3 night stay there was a wedding on so we could not sit in the bar as it was full!

The breakfast on the second day contained refried left over chips from the night before which sort of ruined our overall impression. Also we had ordered 2 eggs with our breakfast and only received one.
Parking was good and the location is good. The gardens are very pretty and well maintained.

But overall I felt that I had been mugged! 3 nights stay with 1 evening meal and 1 burger in my room had set me back nigh on £500.00

I certainly will not go here again. We travel to Exeter reguarly as we have family there and only booked this hotel as it was a last minute booking and was available. I now know why it was available! I have stayed in the Thistle and the Mercure and paid less for these far superior proper 4 star hotels.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank cta283
Management response:Responded July 11, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your recent stay.

I am disappointed to read you believe you didn’t receive value for money though out your stay for the room and compare standards to some of our competitors which as of similar or lesser standard as our property but accept your feedback.

I can see the days stayed and can inform you they were peak demand days and the competitors you mentioned were significantly more expensive on those days so in the interest of comparing apples to apples I believe this needs to be noted.

I agreed some our public areas are starting to look tired and I am glad to say I am currently finalising the details around our soft refurbishment later this year.
I once again express my disappointment in not meeting your expectation on value for money and would be happy to discuss this further with you should you wish to contact the hotel.

Regards,

Denny Keane

Reviewed July 8, 2012

Stayed here for a wedding. Room very small and pokey, limited toiletries provided, decor average and a bit tatty, bar pricey. Can you believe there was only ONE brandy glass in the bar! so brandies were served in whisky tumblers. Gardens nice though and breakfast not bad. Definitely not 4 star. I'd rather stay in a Premier Inn - more comfortable and better value

Room Tip: Find another hotel
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Management response:Responded July 10, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feeback on your stay at the Buckerell Lodge.

I am dissapointed to hear you found the facilities at the hotel not to your liking, our room product and size is amongst the largest in the region so I am unclear on whom you compare the room size against.

I am glad to say we are currently finilising details to upgrade the public area decor. The changes will still have the country house feel to them but further open space.

I once again thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback and would be more that happy to discuss it in further detail if you so disire.

Kind Regards,