“Great hotel & location”
Review of ABode Exeter

ABode Exeter
Ranked #15 of 31 Hotels in Exeter
Reviewed May 4, 2014

We stayed at the abode over the Easter weekend, it was a lovely hotel that I would recommend it to anyone staying in Exeter. We arrived late on the Friday evening and the hotel were very welcoming on arrival. We had a room on the 3rd floor overlooking the cathedral. Since we were late arriving we had a meal in the cafe bar, the meal was excellent, way above standard for what you expect for a cafe bar. Afterwards we had champagne in the champagne bar, prices were what you would expect in a hotel. It was nice.

The room was very clean, a little on the small side but very comfortable. We even had a free thorntons Easter egg. From what I know there was no wifi but the place next door had free wifi that we could hook up to.

The hotel was right in the centre, literally 30 seconds walk to all the shops, this was great for a Saturday morning shop.

The hotel has a restaurant by Michael Caines, we tried to get a reservation but it was full, to be fair we left it till last minute so didn't expect to get a table. Breakfast was served in the restaurant and the service was outstanding. The staff could not do enough for you and would create a breakfast to suit your requirements. I would highly recommend it.

Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
General M, General Manager at ABode Exeter, responded to this reviewResponded May 9, 2014

Dear ‘kellymarie81’

Thank you for taking the time to write a review, we are so pleased you enjoyed your stay. It is a shame you did not the opportunity to try our Fine Dine Restaurant, hopefully next time but pleased you enjoyed the food in Café Bar.

We have complimentary Wi Fi throughout the Hotel powered by BT, which may have been what you were on.

I look forward to welcoming you back.

Matt

Write a ReviewReviews (1,287)

Reviewed May 4, 2014

Went to a friends wedding and had an upstairs room with a dedicated bar. For what looks like quite an expensive hotel, the drinks were reasonably priced. Usually in a place like this I'd expect to be ripped off for drinks but a pint was less than £4. For two nights I was quoted over £180 but you are smack by the cathedral. If that's what you want there's the premium.
The bar staff was great and there was never a queue at the bar. Can't comment on the rooms as I didn't see any of them.
From what I did see it was fine. And as a wedding venue it worked. They had 90 guests and I would say that is the max for the room we had. The food was nice and the evening buffet was excellent.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends
General M, General Manager at ABode Exeter, responded to this reviewResponded May 6, 2014

Dear ‘Nick P’

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I’m pleased you enjoyed coming along to the wedding from last weekend and enjoyed our excellent food and service. I hope to welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed May 2, 2014

Excellent room, with a big bath in the room, perfect for relaxing reading a book. Bed big and comfortable and pillows perfect, with different sizes to allow for any preference. The breakfast, both continental and cooked was good, only the coffee not the best choice. Just in front of yhe cathedral, perfect place. I didn't like the view from my windows, as it was in front of a wall, and, worse, with some windows in it. There was no curtain to block yhe view without blocking the light.

Room Tip: Ask for the view from the room.
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business

Dear ‘Mariliasaca s’

Thank you for taking the time to write a review regarding your recent visit to ABode Exeter, I am pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed April 29, 2014

What a lovely surprise to be staying at ABode. We had a lovely room on 3rd floor overlooking the Cathedral. When checking in the staff at reception were very friendly and helpful. We had champagne in the Champagne Bar, I highly recommend this.
Deciding late afternoon to dine in the restaurant we were very impressed with the waiter that dealt with our request and phoned our room to confirm our booking.
As far as the meal itself goes I cannot explain what a treat it was and how beautifully displayed on the plate. The tasting of these Signature dishes was truly amazing.
We slept really well and the bed was very large and comfortable.
Breakfast is relaxed and there is a great choice.
All the staff we encountered were very friendly and always had a smile.
I would stay here again, no problem. The car park isn't too far away considering you are in the city centre and reception offer the parking ticket at a reduced price. Good value as the car park is locked overnight so you are assured of safety!

Room Tip: Rooms at front have amazing views of cathedral.
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
General M, General Manager at ABode Exeter, responded to this reviewResponded May 2, 2014

Dear ‘London Scooper’

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review regarding you’re your most recent stay, it is pleasing to hear all aspects were of a high standard particularly with regards to my Team.

I look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed April 28, 2014

First Impressions: substantial, great location, quirky traditional yet modern

Stayed here a few times on business and the experience varies each time. Make sure you have taken note of the car park post code if you are driving and pack light as you will need to walk 15 minutes through town. Once at the hotel check in is pleasant enough, and rooms vary from small with no views to extravagant yet opposite a nightclub.
Room service charges are steep, but food is of high standard. Breakfast is not cheap but again food is of a high standard and service can be impeccable.
Some of the room décor is looking tired and could do with a refresh

Bad Points: Having to lug luggage across town is not ideal, rooms can be noisy either from the bar and restaurant below or due to the fact some are facing a very old pub which turns into a nightclub on Saturdays and blares music out until 1am.

Room Tip: avoid any rooms which face the Weatherspoon's pub on the weekend if your looking for a quiet nig...
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business

Dear ‘mylifinhotels14’

Thank you for taking the time to write a review regarding your most recent stay with us. I’m sorry to hear you were disturbed by the pub next door.

I’m pleased you found our food and service was of a high standard. In terms of parking we always recommend guests with lots of luggage come direct to the hotel where we have a 20 minute grace period to unload your bags and check in to your room. Please use the Post code recommended on our website as opposed to our postal postcode when using a sat nav.

Once again thank you for your comments and I look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed April 28, 2014

The staff we encountered were excellent. We had room 312 which was in the "desirable" category. The room was well appointed and comfortable but a little small for our taste and although it met our needs we were a little disappointed having paid extra for a better room. Having said that, the views were splendid and we did not experience any noise (the secondary glazing worked for us) from outside although we were closely located to the fire door on the stairs and we noticed that when it was used. We both thought being asked to pay for a bottle of water unbecoming for a hotel that promotes itself as it does. We would stay here again if we had need to overnight in Exeter for whatever reason.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear ‘CAHAR’

Thank you for taking your time to write a review regarding your most recent stay I am pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and noted your comments.

I look forward to welcoming you back in the future should the need arise.

Reviewed April 28, 2014

We visited for two nights during Easter week, and thoroughly enjoyed our stay. We were beautifully looked after from check-in to check-out, nothing was too much trouble. I can also recommend the breakfasts, great quality and in a very relaxed environment. This is a great hotel for a little bit of luxury positioned right in the heart of the city, surrounded by good restaurants.

Our room, 202, overlooked the beautiful cathedral green, getting a room with a very is very much 'worth it' in my opinion. Ours was very well appointed with good air-con and the bed was very comfortable. It is one of the only hotel beds I have ever slept in where I have felt a little disappointed to find my self back on my own mattress. We didn't experience any noise as some other reviewers have flagged, our room had secondary glazing which worked a treat.

A note on the car parking - it is 5 mins walk from the hotel, but what do you expect in a city centre location, with a hotel looks out onto1000 year old cathedral in the very centre of Exeter!! The hotel rate at the car park is actually excellent value. When you want to leave the car park, reception issue you with a ticket (£10.50) to raise the barriers. This ticket can then be used multiple times within a 24 hour window allowing you to come and go without incurring extra charges. It effectively works out at £10.50 per day for city centre parking on those days where you want to use your car to access all that Devon has to offer. But if you stayed a week and didn't leave the car park once during that timethen a week's parking would still only cost you £10.50 to raise the barrier on departure! ( I think I have got that right... and to my mind it is an excellent service, justifying the short walk.)

Will be returning soon...

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business

Dear ‘Chris H’

We are all so pleased you enjoyed your Easter Break with us and we look forward to welcoming you back to ABode Exeter in the near future.