“Fantastic setting great Hotel”
Review of ABode Exeter

ABode Exeter
Ranked #15 of 31 Hotels in Exeter
Reviewed April 2, 2014

Just returned from a business trip stay at this Hotel. Which I could not fault on any level, reception staff were attentive, pleasant and helpful. Breakfast was great and the quirky lift was a throw back to a time forgotten. Room was functional and immaculately clean with all the usual benefits needed for a good business trip. I would thoroughly recommend this Hotel.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
General M, General Manager at ABode Exeter, responded to this reviewResponded April 5, 2014

Dear ‘Rob G’

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I’m so pleased you enjoyed your stay with us whilst here in Exeter on Business and hope to welcome you back on return visits.

Matt Collins

Write a ReviewReviews (1,288)

Reviewed April 1, 2014

We stayed here for one night on 30 March. The main reason for choosing this one was the central location and the luxurious and grand aura that this place seemed to emit.

We were greeted at Reception by a lovely and helpful young lady who upon checking she informed us that our room was ready for us and swiftly checked us in. She also said that we had been given a complimentary upgrade to a superior room. I had previously requested a bath and a Cathedral view so I was very pleased with this.

The room (201) was amazing. A double bay window gave the best view of the Cathedral I could imagine and the bed was HUGE! Beautifully soft cotton linen and lots of pillows. There was a bathroom with bath, with shower over, Belfast sink and toilet. Plenty of soft towels also.

In the bedroom there was a small desk with a basket of goodies, ie nuts, chocolate etc. This was all chargeable which I would expect, but the two bottles of water should have been complimentary.

The room more than exceeded our expectations. In fact the hotel did with its elegant grandeur.

Unfortunately this is where it ended for us. As part of the Spring Break package we were entitled to take 2 courses from a special menu in the Café/Grill or an allowance of £11 each from the A La Carte. Both menus seemed to lack inspiration with steaks, burgers and pasta on the a la carte which we didn't want. To be honest we expected a lot more because of the association with the celebrity chef.

We decided to eat our two courses from the set menu and we were very disappointed. Choosing a main and dessert each my husband went for the Pork Escalope and I the Sea Bream. Both were not presented very well especially the Pork. This was a Pork steak overcooked in breadcrumbs with a mustard sauce and put on some sliced roast potatoes. Not a vegetable in sight and neither were any offered as a side dish. My fish was passable, but not a pleasant experience for a foodie such as my self.

Dessert was better with Creme Brulee and cheese and biscuits. Overall a very disappointing experience from such an exquisite hotel For The Spring Break Menu I would recommend more choice (3 mains isnt enough) and a more inspiring menu.

After a comfortable nights sleep (the double glazing is excellent at keeping out the Cathedral hourly clock chimes) we went for breakfast in the Fine Dining restaurant. This was lovely with FRESH orange juice. (Unusual in hotels these days), excellent coffee and a nice English Breakfast.

A swift checkout followed which was good. We parked in Mary Arches which was about a 5 min walk away and the hotel has a special overnight rate of £10.50.

In summary then. Would we stay again? YES most definitely. Eat here NO.

We would like to stay next time in Room 202 which I understand is a room category above the one we are in, but the website displays no rates so I will email them with this enquiry.

Room Tip: Ask for a Cathedral facing room for the best views ever
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear ‘Hully Bristol’

Thank you for taking the time to write a review regarding your most recent stay with us.

I am pleased you liked Room 201 with its glorious view of the cathedral. I’m sorry to hear this did not carry through to the Café Bar & Grill, it is our more relaxed dining option perhaps next time try our Fine Dine Restaurant. We will be changing the menu in the Café Bar shortly to coincide with the seasonal change but in the mean time will address the comments you have made from the current menu.

Please contact me direct when you are next looking to stay so I can personally welcome you back to try our Fine Dine experience.

Reviewed March 29, 2014

Very enjoyable stay at ABode Exeter. Brilliant central location opposite the cathedral. Very helpful staff. Excellent food and relaxed atmosphere. Loved the Champagne Bar. Quirky and characterful old building - the oldest hotel in the country - with plenty of atmosphere.
Vivien Humber

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family

Dear ‘Vivien H’

Thank you for taking the time to write a review regarding your stay. It is always nice to hear such positive comments regarding my team that do justice to what is arguably the oldest Hotel in the country.

I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed March 29, 2014 via mobile

We were celebrating our wedding anniversary and collection our Grand Daughter from Exeter Uni so decided on a two night stay. As the room was only £2 more than the Premier Inn we decided on the Abode. In a wonderful location facing the Cathedral and close to all the shops, bars and restaurants . Bright open reception with the quaintest lift to the 2nd floor where our room was. Room was clean and very tidy with a massive king size bed that was incredibly comfortable. Modern en-suite with loads if hot water, no cold showers here! Intimate Champagne bar with the widest selection of cocktails of which we tried more than a few. Booked a table in the Michael Caines restaurant and had the six course taster menu with the recommended wines. Rally enjoyed the meal and the ambiance was wonderful. Altogether a delightful stay our only complaint was we went to have Afternoon Tea and told we had to order 24 hours in advance although this was not at all apparent! We will be back

Stayed: March 2014

Dear ‘Whitetiger’

Thank you so much for such a lovely review, I am so pleased you chose here to celebrate your Wedding Anniversary enjoying both the food and drink that we are so passionate about here at ABode Exeter. We always recommend booking afternoon tea due the limited seating we have particularly on a Saturday where we are normally fully booked.

I look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed March 25, 2014 via mobile

Booked the spring break for myself and a friend, dinner, bed and breakfast for both of us. On arrival we were very warmly greeted and the check in was very efficient. The hotel is a listed building and although old was decorated very tastefully. Our room was on the 3rd floor and was reached by an old lift with a sliding gate. Although we were told at check in to shut the gate otherwise the lift would not work it was very frustrating that some guests seemed to completely ignore this. Every time we wanted to get back to our room we had to walk up 3 flights of stairs.
The room was quite big and although the en-suite was small it was fine for one night. My only gripe is why do hotels think it is ok to have black mould around the shower cubicle? A little bit of bleach would easily do the trick.
We booked a table in the grill bar fir dinner. There was a deal of 2 staters. 2 mains and a bottle of wine for £30 which our waitress informed me that could be included in our package. The staters were very good, I had the mackerel pâté and my friend had the black pudding salad. The mains of pork escalope, although tasty, had very little plate appeal. It all looked beige which was a bit off putting, a bit if salad garnish would not go amiss.
Breakfast was the best, freshly cooked to order absolutely lovely.
All in all a great stay, would absolutely recommend.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends

Dear ‘rosnaree’

Thank you for taking the time to write a review regarding your most recent stay and pleased overall you enjoyed your stay with us. I will address the points you have raised as whilst I am glad this did not have a negative impact on your stay it is important for us to action for future guests.

I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed March 23, 2014

Stayed here for our first wedding anniversary. Staff were fantastic and arranged a room with a view of Exeter Cathedral as well as complimentary late checkout. Ate in the bar & grill (fine dining not really our style) which was reasonably priced and very good food. The room had the comfiest bed I have ever slept on! Excellent!

Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
General M, General Manager at ABode Exeter, responded to this reviewResponded March 29, 2014

Dear ‘Jim B’

Thank you for taking the time to write a review, I’m so pleased you enjoyed your first Anniversary stay with us and look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed March 23, 2014

Brilliant location! Our room over looked the cathedral which was stunning, plus you are right in the middle of the city. No parking but if you call in advance they will give you directions to a car park you can use for a reduce rate (ask at reception). You can drive right up to the hotel to unload.

It was really nicely decorated and we loved that the building was so old so had lots of charm (although it has a luxurious feel). Plus we had a huge (very very comfortable) bed.

I would recommend in an instant!

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
General M, General Manager at ABode Exeter, responded to this reviewResponded March 28, 2014

Dear ‘Olby1204’

Thank you for your review, we are all so pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and we hope to welcome you back soon.

Matt