“Very Good”
Review of ABode Exeter

ABode Exeter
Ranked #13 of 31 Hotels in Exeter
Reviewed January 26, 2014

Had a suite experience for the weekend and was very impressed with room 402, the bathroom wasn't great as I'm very tall and the ceiling well is very low so I couldn't shower fully standing up which wasn't ideal.

The bed was hugggge and we both slept very well, the seating area was also very spacious and roomy with two comfy chairs and a big sofa. The views are outstanding overlooking the cathedral and courtyard.

Room service breakfast was not great, tasty, but no selection apart from a hot breakfast roll or sausage roll, however breakfast in the restaurant this morning was totally brilliant, perfectly cooked food, great service, great coffee and toast!

Would we stay again,Myers we would and I'd like try another suite, well they are Fabulous!

Room Tip: Upgrade to a suite
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
General M, General Manager at ABode Exeter, responded to this reviewResponded February 1, 2014

Dear ‘Bigbird1 334’

Thank you so much for such a nice review, we are all so pleased you enjoyed your stay with us in one our ‘Fabulous’ rooms and look forward to welcoming you back soon.

There are newer reviews for ABode Exeter

Reviewed January 23, 2014

My wife and I had Christmas lunch here as I was on duty Christmas morning and afternoon. It was vastly overpriced. Started with champagne and canapees (or rather one canapee after we were chased into the dining room), soup followed, served in a shot glass with a teaspoon to drink it, it was good - but hardly a more than three teaspoons full. Salmon rilettes (two lumps, with fancy splodged about the plate) followed by crab raviolli (one piece). Main course - turkey with one carrot and one parsnip - standing like two steeples- four very poor roast potatoes (third rate pub standard), shredded something under the turkey, no other veg. Cranberry sauce but no bread sauce. Christmas pudding to finish in the dining room, then upstair to a rather cold room for coffee and a mince pie. Oh, there were crackers - contents; a paper hat, a little bag of marble or a plastic top. All for £99.00 per head.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
General M, General Manager at ABode Exeter, responded to this reviewResponded January 24, 2014

Dear ‘Christopher S’

Thank you for your review, in the first instance please except my apologies for the disappointing experience.

I will of course fully investigate this matter further with my Kitchen brigade who I know have taken your comments on board and will where necessary make amendments for future years.
I personally checked the quality of food on Christmas day nothing was particularly apparent to me, though that is not to say yours was different and agree bread sauce should have been available.

On the portion size with six courses including cheese, Canapés and Petit Fours not all courses are going to be large and I felt perfectly adequate, the soup was an appetizer and as such not meant to be anything more than what it was.

Once again please except our apologies and I hope that you will take up my offer in the future.

Matt

Reviewed January 20, 2014

Stayed just for one night, nicest hotel I have stayed in! Amazing bedroom with beautiful view of the cathedral. Sumptuous free standing roll-top bath and huge comfy bed. Staff genuinley friendly and super breakfast.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo

Dear ‘Emma J’

Thank you so much for taking the time to review your recent stay with us, I’m so pleased you enjoyed your Birthday stay with us and will ensure your kind comments are feed back to my team.

I look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed January 18, 2014

We chose to stay here for our 35th anniversary because of its good reputation and central location for Exeter shopping etc. Our king size room had a good view of the cathedral. The hotel room freebies include posh crisps, mints and Luscombe fruit drinks as well as tea and coffee.The staff were very helpful. Reception was efficient. The hotel kindly put flowers in the room as they knew it was our anniversary - and in the restaurant our petit-fours arrived with "Happy Anniversary" piped on the plate. Nice touch! Thanks ABode - we will remember our stay!

Room Tip: If you can afford the king size room - go for it!!

Dear ‘Alan F’

Thank you on behalf of the Brownsword family and all the Team in Exeter for your review. I’m so pleased you enjoyed your 35th Wedding Anniversary with us along with the little extras put in our higher category rooms.

I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed January 16, 2014

Treated my husband to 2 nights here for his birthday, combining their Winter Warmer and Indulgence packages, both great value for money We were upgraded to an Enviable room, which was a pleasant surprise- room 211 overlooking the cathedral.There was secondary glazing, so it was blissfully quiet. It had a huge extremely comfortable bed with good linens, and a bathroom area up a step, meaning the bath was in the bedroom itself- not ideal for my liking but at least the toilet was in a cubicle with a door. One armchair, small desk and reasonably sized wardrobe completed the furniture, and the decor was subtle gentle shades. There was one huge problem though- the lighting. There was a faint pendant light over the desk, and the two bedside lights were so dim I was completely unable to read.We asked if something could be done, but the only bulbs they had for these lamps were 25W- nightlight strength! The delightful receptionist did manage to locate another lamp, but there were no sockets near the bed so I couldn't use that either. In the bathroom area were bright halogen spotlights- why oh why could they not have put a couple over the bed too? I think people who design hotel bedrooms should be made to stay in them to see if their ideas work.
We were given a free drink to make up for the problem, but I woud have prefered a 60W bulb! I wonder if they will invest in brighter bulbs in future. A dimmer switch could be used if they feel some people want subdued lighting.
Anyway, that was the only real fault. The staff were all charming, and tried to be helpful.We thoroughly enjoyed the tasting menu with matched wines, and the cheaper bistro meal too. The cooked breakfast was excellent, but the buffet element was average, and the toast limp and undercooked.
The hotel is in the cathedral close, so superbly situated for exploring the interesting city of Exeter. The suggested carpark, Mary Arches St, was only 5 mins walk, and the £10.50 ticket supplied by the hotel gave us entry and exits for our entire stay.
I would happily stay again- and perhaps bring a couple of 60w lightbulbs with me!

Room Tip: Ask for a cathedral view

Dear ‘Levoyageur’

Thank you for taking the time to write a detailed review. I am pleased overall you enjoyed your stay and noted your comments regarding lighting and breakfast buffet and will review both areas with a view to improve both aspects.

I look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed January 13, 2014

We have stayed at this hotel a number of times and have always found it excellent. The Abode is situated right in the centre of town right next door to the stunning Exeter Cathedral. The staff are always pleasant, courteous and are always ready to help.
We chose this hotel the first time because of its location and have returned many times ever since. The rooms are always clean and perfectly presented.
The food in the restaurant is fantastic but there are many other places to dine in the immediate location should you want to venture out.

Dear ‘Colin G’

Thank you so much for staying with us again and taking the time to write a review, I will ensure your kind comments are shared with the team.

I look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed January 11, 2014

I went to the Abode before Christmas with a mate (while the women were off doing the sensible stuff). We went for the tasting menu with the complementary wines and settled in for what turned out to be 3 hours of superb food and excellent wine. The parfait was an angel crying on your tongue but matched by an exceptional piece of venison; each course left you wanting more, which is of course the whole point of a tasting menu, but did mean we looked wolfishly at the next table as their courses arrived (sorry, next table, you did look a tad concerned).

The service was at times a little bit ramshackle but it didn't detract from the experience and the sommelier was so enthusiastic about his wines, which were spot on, that all would have been forgiven anyway.

Expensive, yes, but worth the money? Oh, yes! We'll do it again, put it that way......

Stayed: December 2013

Dear ‘John M’

Thank you so much for you review, I’m so pleased you enjoyed your dining experience with us. Marek and Jake who both look after our wines are so passionate about our list and it is pleasing to hear our guests are benefiting from this.

I look forward to welcoming you back.