“One of the best”

Ranked #12 of 31 Hotels in Exeter
Chester, United Kingdom
“One of the best”
Reviewed October 28, 2013

A very comfortable stay for two nights 16th_17th October 2013.
Got a very warm welcome ,friendly and polite staff Victorian type decor but it seems right for this hotel.Great breakfast took evening meals in the old wells inn next to hotel also owned by Abode.
If I had to make a criticism it would be about the very old fashioned lift which fellow guests kept putting out of order by forgetting to close the lift gates,yes I did say gates,so not the hotels fault. Otherwise a perfect stay in a well run hotel right on Cathederal Square in the centre of town.
As near to perfection as you will find at a reasonable price .My thanks to staff and managers who work well as a team and treat guests as just that.
I look forward to my next stay.
Martin.

Room Tip: Try for a room overlooking the Cathederal green where you can watch the world go by. I had 307 with...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
General M, General Manager at ABode Exeter, responded to this review, November 2, 2013
Dear ‘MARTIN P’

Thank you so much for such a lovely review, I will pass on your thanks to all the Team here. The old fashioned lift can be problematic but I think adds character to our hotel and in keeping with the style of the business, I will look at how we can ensure the lift is closed after departure.

I look forward to welcoming you back to The Royal Clarence.

Matt Collins

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (285)
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 25, 2013

We stayed on the weekend of 19/20 October. My husband booked this hotel for our first weekend away since before we had our daughter. She's just started school - so it was about time!

The hotel is around 300 years old so has lots of character and inevitably doesn't have the uniformity of a more recently constructed hotel. We booked one of the desirable rooms but were given an upgrade to an enviable one. 2.02 is a truly wonderful room: large, beautifully fitted out, with a fantastic view of the cathedral We had a seating area, massive bed and a roll top bath in the room, just gorgeous. We were very grateful for the upgrade as our room could not have been better.

We ate in the cafe on the first night, the food and service were both good. We treated ourselves to dinner in the main restaurant on the Saturday and were so glad we had, the meal we had was absolutely superb - really imaginative, excellent quality and beautifully presented. I am vegetarian and think this is the best restaurant I have ever been to for vegetarians. Service was impeccable throughout, staff were relaxed and friendly and seemed to be enjoying their jobs. In fact, all the staff at the hotel were lovely and helped to make our stay as wonderful as it was. I really can't fault the hotel, restaurant or staff in anyway, this is a real gem.

Room Tip: room 2.02 is lovely - fantastic view of the cathedral
1 Thank Nicola K
Dear ‘Nicola K’

Thank you on behalf of the Brownsword family for your review, I’m so pleased you enjoyed your short break with us and will share your comments with our Team.

I’m happy to hear in both of our Restaurant areas you enjoyed our food and service. We try our hardest to wow guests with Vegetarian and Dietary requirements as all to often get forgotten about so always worth letting us know in advance.

I look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Fowey, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 22, 2013

It was sunny and we at outside with the great view across the green to the cathedral. We only wanted a quick snack , and the staff were quick and attentive. The food was fine and we left happily to further explore the highways and byways of Exeter.

Dear ‘Neil H’

Thank you for taking the time to post a review. I will share your kind comments with my team and look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Edinburgh
Reviewed October 17, 2013

We booked on an expedia deal and it was, in fairness, a cheap deal. However, I feel a little like we had a bad room in a good hotel. Reception staff were helpful, the room was clean with a large and pretty comfortable bed. It's location is also excellent, just minutes way from the high st and opposite the cathedral. However the room felt tired and ragged round the edges; the light over the bath was coming away from the ceiling, the toilet kept sticking on flush and the shower leaked. The one small window looked out over rooftops and aircon units and the room just wasn't anywhere you really wanted to spend a lot of time. There are also no public areas in which you can just relax, all hotel areas are bars, restaurants and other merchandising opportunities. (Though the pub next door, which I think they also run, does excellent food and drink) We also found it very noisy - there is a pub across the lane, the aircon is noisy, and our room was by a fire door which kept being slammed and a cleaners cupboard which was in use from about 7.30am. All in all, disappointing. Maybe the more expensive rooms are better.

Dear ‘wombat1972’

Thank you for taking the time to write a review and in the first instance please accept my apologies for the disappointment received.

In terms of the rooms, we are planning to update over half the rooms in January and February with particular focus on our Comfortable Room category. I would always recommend upgrading to one of our other room types for additional space and luxury. I will speak to my Housekeeping team and Maintenance regarding the noise issues you encountered to overcome this for the future.

We do have the Cathedral Room on the first floor which when not in use is set up as a lounge for guests to relax in, alternatively there is the Champagne Bar but appreciate what you are saying.

If you do decide to come to Exeter feel free to contact me direct so I can best advise you on the room Type to suit your needs.

Once again thank you and I look forward to welcoming you back.

Kettering, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 13, 2013

We visited the champagne bar in 'Abode' - The Royal Clarence - opposite the Cathedral one Saturday afternoon. It was a last minute birthday treat while walking by to have a drink before moving onwards through Exeter.

I don't like to walk in to hotel bars when I am not staying at the hotel but my parents had had their wedding reception there many years ago so that was the particular motivation for a change in habit! The lady at the bar was very welcoming and nothing was too much trouble.

I initially asked if they had any beer on draft and they did not. She offered to go around to their sister pub (next door?) to get me a pint! We then decided it must be champagne and didn't want to be too much of an inconvenience in any case. We felt hungry so asked if there were any bread options. The same lady at the bar brought us two bowls of nuts immediately (without charge) and also offered to ask the restaurant if they could accommodate our bread request. These simple things were so considerate that I had to write even though we did not stay at the hotel.

The bar is small but comfortable and very welcoming.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
General M, General Manager at ABode Exeter, responded to this review, October 16, 2013
Dear ‘SiJo2011’

Thank you for taking the time to write a review, it is good to hear you received such excellent service from my Team in the Champagne Bar and will share your comments with them.

I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Birmingham
Reviewed October 9, 2013

We have just returned from a Saturday night stay. The main purpose of our visit is to see our son who is studying in Exeter. During the past 18 months we have stayed here many times, and have to say it just seems to get better.

The rooms are spacious, if you upgrade, the beds are comfortable and overall the hotel, we think is faultless. It is in a perfect position, being on the Cathedral green. The staff are always very courteous and cant do enough for you.

Nothing more to say other than would recommend this hotel to anyone.

If you venture to Exeter, dont miss out.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Dear ‘jamesavfc’

Thank you so much for taking the time to write your review, I’m so pleased you all enjoyed your stay with us and I look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Swindon, England
Reviewed October 9, 2013

I booked in for 2 nights whilst working in Exeter. After firstly struggling from the multi storey carpark ( 0.5 miles away) to the hotel, i went to my room to find that when i opened the window it was directly next to the kitchen fans and also plastered in pigeon faeces as was the window.
I set up to try and do some office work when loud music started blasting in from the pub next door.
I contacted reception to ask if i could be relocated because the noise from the bar and the fan was intolerable, I was informed that my only option would be to upgrade.
I managed one very long night with the kitchen fans starting up early the next day but decided I would rather commute 2.5hrs each way for the remainder of the week.
i explained the reason for leaving early and had no apology, just an "ok" and no movement on offering a refund for the second night.
DONT STAY HERE!

• Stayed October 2013
4 Thank msmith1306
General M, General Manager at ABode Exeter, responded to this review, October 11, 2013
Dear ‘msmith1306’

Thank you for your review, in the very first instance please except my apologies for the disappointment received whilst staying with us.

Clearly the response you had from one of team is unacceptable and apology is the least I would expect. I regularly meet with our young Reception Team and will fully investigate your comments and ensure that future comments are dealt with in professional manner.

There is little I can do in terms of the car parking arrangements at this time, the closest car park with outside space and Multi story is Mary Arches, a short 5 minute walk (0.2miles) with the option dropping off your luggage with a 30 minute grace period.

Once again please except my apologies and If you do have a need to return to Exeter please contact me directly and I will personally ensure you have an enjoyable stay and compensated accordingly.